Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 249 days!)

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I wouldn't even know where to begin on vacuum lines, and I really am not even aware of what vacuum lines are.

Oh, you will. You will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Also watch out for when the fuel line pops under the hood and gets on top of that manifold.

My 1987 300zx Turbo caught on fire twice.

Other than that its a great car. I had some go fast bits on it, and some make it hard to drive bits (lowering springs, tokico adjustables, energy bushings) and the most cherry set of khaki leather seats, and every 300zx accessory ever made.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Minkee posted:

Also watch out for when the fuel line pops under the hood and gets on top of that manifold.

My 1987 300zx Turbo caught on fire twice.

Other than that its a great car. I had some go fast bits on it, and some make it hard to drive bits (lowering springs, tokico adjustables, energy bushings) and the most cherry set of khaki leather seats, and every 300zx accessory ever made.

About the only visual bits I really wanna add to mine are louvers on the back windows and vanity plates. I'm (mostly) joking about the decal on the hood.

Other than that, however, all of the go fast bits. All of them forever.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Viggen posted:

<yodavoice>Oh, you will. You will.</yodavoice>

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
What is goin on with the stripes on your shirt?

I like how the picture is washed out and 80s looking already.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Cage posted:

What is goin on with the stripes on your shirt?

I like how the picture is washed out and 80s looking already.

It's a lovely mexican hoodie.

And my dad has a terrible camera on his phone.

Yes, I'm living in my parent's basement for the moment, after returning from the Navy.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

It's a lovely mexican hoodie.

And my dad has a terrible camera on his phone.

Yes, I'm living in my parent's basement for the moment, after returning from the Navy.

Thread title justified.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

TBH, I don't even know where to begin. The most mechanical experience I actually have is, as I stated, working on massive Naval vessel engines that put out a hilarious 364,000 torque, and are diesel, and you can probably fit inside one of the pistons if you wanted to, and by working on, I mean more like acting as a parts gopher and cleaning up the almost daily massive oil leaks we had, both fuel and lubricating.

Snipes run the Navy?

Just find a part that leaks oil and try to fix it. Best learning experience.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Adiabatic posted:

Thread title justified.

Preeeeetty much, yeah. Everyone I know was like, "You should not get this car. This is a terrible decision."

And I ignored them.

Not regretting it so far!

Just got a nice car wash, interior clean, and waxing done at the detail shop across the street from me. They ended up giving me a few extra things just because it's apparently a cool as poo poo car to them.

Learning manual progress is getting easier, less thunking and anger whenever I shift into first. Might try taking it onto the highway later on. Haven't dealt with stop-and-go traffic yet.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Find a good manual- hopefully with hose and electrical routing schematics and stock up while you can still get to the store and back. :q:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

Find a good manual- hopefully with hose and electrical routing schematics and stock up while you can still get to the store and back. :q:

I can actually walk to the nearest auto parts store, so that's really not an issue.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

after returning from the Navy.

I feel like this explains so much.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I feel like this explains so much.

When you have had someone telling you to do responsible things and following every order and command given to you for four years, I dare you to not want to go out and buy a fast car and make bad decisions.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

That's what I'm saying! You should have named the thread, "gently caress YOU CHIEF, I DO WHAT I WANT!"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Learning manual progress is getting easier, less thunking and anger whenever I shift into first. Might try taking it onto the highway later on. Haven't dealt with stop-and-go traffic yet.

You know not to try putting it into first until you're completely stopped, right? :ohdear: Your 1st gear synchros will thank me.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

You know not to try putting it into first until you're completely stopped, right? :ohdear: Your 1st gear synchros will thank me.

I learned that one the hard way :( Poor old Daytona.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!
Nice! I'm glad you ended up finding something you like.

I'll make a thread about the 80's shitbox I just bought in a week or two. Pop-up headlights for life!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Terrible Robot posted:

Well, yeah?

I mean, you shouldn't shift into first gear while you're coasting with the clutch pushed in all the way and beginning to go to a stop?

Is that what you mean?

TheLarson posted:

Nice! I'm glad you ended up finding something you like.

I'll make a thread about the 80's shitbox I just bought in a week or two. Pop-up headlights for life!

Mine isn't a shitbox, thank you very much. IT IS A PERFORMANCE DRIVING MACHINE that I may have bought for only $4.5k. >.>

Seriously, this thing drives lightyears better than my last car.

fishception fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 23, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

this thing drives lightyears better than my last car.
Oh come on, this should be good...

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
2000 Saturn SL1.

When your car starts stalling near the top of a hill in Kentucky and your foot is depressed all the way down on the gas pedal, you start re-thinking the life choices that led you to this car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Well, yeah?

I mean, you shouldn't shift into first gear while you're coasting with the clutch pushed in all the way and beginning to go to a stop?

Is that what you mean?

Pretty much, yeah. If you're below, say, 3mph or something it's probably ok, but generally it's better to just leave it in neutral with the clutch out until you're read to start moving again.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Terrible Robot posted:

Pretty much, yeah. If you're below, say, 3mph or something it's probably ok, but generally it's better to just leave it in neutral with the clutch out until you're read to start moving again.

..... I've been doing that. I'll stop doing that. I just thought that as long as the clutch is in, it's in neutral, so it doesn't matter if you move the knob to first.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I apologize for the double post, but this is a pertinent question that may come up in the next few days: How the hell am I supposed to drive this thing in snow.

I understand the correct answer is "Don't.", before anyone says it, but that might not really be an option.

Thread title relevant once again.

fishception fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 24, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Good snow tires and the ability to be ginger on the gas but also control oversteer. How quickly does it build boost?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
To be honest? The turbo only really kicks in at about 4kish RPM, so I haven't even gotten the chance to see, as I've been shifting up at about 2000-3000. Please tell me if I am doing this wrong.

As I know nothing (literally nothing) about turbos, or boost, or etc, I really can't answer your question, unless you tell me how to check, which will shortly become very difficult as it is scheduled to snow tomorrow.

Snow + Turbo Activation = Crash.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is going to end in tears.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

leica posted:

This is going to end in tears.

I'm trying, really really hard, to not have it end in tears, if I can.

After all, I love this car a lot. It's my baby. :<

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Have you driven a RWD car before?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

..... I've been doing that. I'll stop doing that. I just thought that as long as the clutch is in, it's in neutral, so it doesn't matter if you move the knob to first.

I'll try to avoid rehashing my entire disjointed transmission lubrication spiel from the stupid question thread a couple weeks ago, but you always want your countershaft spinning when the driven wheels are turning. Since first is unsynchronized, neutral with the clutch up is the best way to achieve this when you're nearing a full stop, until you get to the point of learning how to to double-clutch (don't worry about double clutching for now, wait until you've mastered all the other stuff).

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 24, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

InitialDave posted:

Have you driven a RWD car before?

NOPE.

Tommychu posted:

I'll try to avoid rehashing my entire disjointed transmission lubrication spiel from the stupid question thread a couple weeks ago, but you always want your countershaft spinning when the wheels are turning. Since first is unsynchronized, neutral with the clutch up is the best way to achieve this when you're nearing a full stop, until you get to the point of learning how to to double-clutch (don't worry about double clutching for now, wait until you've mastered all the other stuff).

Okay, so essentially, when I want to come to a stop, I should disengage whatever gear my car is in and change it to neutral.

When shifting from gear into neutral, I assume I use the clutch to stop the transmission from dropping out of my car and onto the pavement.

-

In other news, I appreciate everyone's patience with my dumb questions. I really am not a very gearheaded mechanically inclined person, and I figured the best way to accomplish this is by jumping in headfirst and just figuring it out by slamming my head against it until it works.

Edit:

Again, Thread Title.

fishception fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 24, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oooh boy. Simple answer? Find a snowy, very empty parking lot, and experiment. It's not easy to simply express the technique in a short post, so all I can suggest is youtube videos, and practice in a controlled environment.

When shifting from gear into neutral, I assume I use the clutch to stop the transmission from dropping out of my car and onto the pavement.
It's the same as changing gear, only without actually going into your next gear after coming out the previous one. But when stopped at a light or whatever, don't keep the clutch pedal pressed while waiting in neutral is what he's saying. It's better for the mechanicals to have it sending drive into the 'box. Simple answer is slightly better wear on components and lubrication.

In other news, I appreciate everyone's patience with my dumb questions. I really am not a very gearheaded mechanically inclined person, and I figured the best way to accomplish this is by jumping in headfirst and just figuring it out by slamming my head against it until it works.
We've all been there, and most of us learned at least some of it the hard way.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

NOPE.

Okay, so essentially, when I want to come to a stop, I should disengage whatever gear my car is in and change it to neutral.

This only applies to the point where you're at the bottom of 2nd and would otherwise be going into 1st. If you're going faster than that and slowing down then you should be downshifting as you go because that will always deliver sufficient oil to the mainshaft. Exception being a surprise yellow light/panic stop, in which case you just hammer the clutch and do what you gotta do to not hit poo poo.
And yeah, you clutch into neutral but it won't explode if you don't, it'll just put a little extra stress on the collars and synchros (and it takes a lot more force on the stick) unless the gears are not loaded.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 24, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Tommychu posted:

This only applies to the point where you're at the bottom of 2nd and would otherwise be going into 1st. If you're going faster than that and slowing down then you should be downshifting as you go because that will always deliver sufficient oil to the mainshaft. Exception being a surprise yellow light/panic stop, in which case you just hammer the clutch and do what you gotta do to not hit poo poo.
And yeah, you clutch into neutral but it won't explode if you don't, it'll just put a little extra stress on the collars and synchros (and it takes a lot more force on the stick) unless the gears are not loaded.

Okay. I've been going from 3rd Gear to holding down clutch and coasting to red lights, then shifting to neutral when I stop at red lights.

I probably need to stop doing that too.

About Yellow lights though, I just take yellow lights usually as an invitation to go faster, especially since I don't have any plates on the car and I can't technically get any plates until Tuesday thanks to the marvel that is the Illinois DMV.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Subscribed to thread.

All suggestions to date are actually helpful and not designed to kill you. That may change.

If you have/had a nearby closed store which has an asphalt lot which is in somewhat disrepair- covered in snow (and ice), this will be the best place for you to learn how to handle RWD, and how to handle a manual in bad weather. Give yourself a few hours to really get the hang of it, then do it again the next day (whenever you can) until you begin to get comfortable with it. We don't want you to panic steer yourself into a shoulder rail or do a panic dump into first and leave the go-forward smoke and metal in your wake.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
On the plus side, apparently there is a VERY good Japanese Import part guy nearby who can pretty much get me anything I desire in terms of parts for my car.

To sum up what my experience is coming into this:

I know nothing about gas engines. I know a very minor bit about diesel engines. I know nothing about turbos. I know a bit about electrical systems, since that was my job in the Navy. I have driven RWD for about two days. I have driven Manual for about two days.

My last two cars were automatic sedans that had nowhere near the power the Nissan does.

The only thing I have going for me is that all of the major running components on my car work, the engine/clutch/turbo were completely rebuilt about 5k miles ago, and so are effectively brand new parts, and I have enthusiasm! :mrgw:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm predicting this thread ends up as a feel good coming-of-age story.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

revmoo posted:

I'm predicting this thread ends up as a feel good coming-of-age story.

Ironically, I'm 24, so I should already be "coming of age". I still feel like a dumb kid. Something tells me I'll be 50 and still feeling like a dumb kid, just with more aches and pains.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The only thing I have going for me is that all of the major running components on my car work, the engine/clutch/turbo were completely rebuilt about 5k miles ago, and so are effectively brand new parts, and I have enthusiasm! :mrgw:

Also you seem to have a good attitude and you have a gaggle of jerks to answer your questions in exchange for watching your adventures.
and yeah clutching in to stop from third is bad, 2nd is also going to be your best engine braking gear anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ironically, I'm 24, so I should already be "coming of age". I still feel like a dumb kid. Something tells me I'll be 50 and still feeling like a dumb kid, just with more aches and pains.

At least you have money to buy a cool car coming out of the military, when I got out I drove a Tercel for a few years :smith:

It had a sunroof tho :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Tommychu posted:

first is unsynchronized
Is this true for most transmissions? I may have been unintentionally beating on mine if it is. :ohdear:

• Locked thread