Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
The thing about craigslist 'rebuilds' is that you have no way of knowing how competently it was done, until you take it apart and discover their idea of head gaskets was doubling up on the RTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
I pulled up the original craigslist ad and I'm curious on whether the PO elaborated on any of his work when you bought it? Are there receipts or pictures or documentation of any kind? Was the work professionally done, or done by the PO himself? "FORGED RODS AND PISTONS" doesn't really tell you much. Not all forged bottom ends are created equal. Who made them? Is the crank cast, then? Are the bore and stroke (in layman's terms- the diameter of the cylinders and distance the pistons travel in them, respectively) factory? How much of boost does it run, and was it a factory turbo (I think you answered no on this- so who did the work)? What about the clutch and transmission? If this thing is making a lot more power than it was from the factory, you could be setting yourself up for future gearbox failure.

Buying a modified car isn't necessarily a death sentence, or a recipe for future problems- but it does mean there are a lot more questions you need to get answered.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
It definitely reads like the PO installed a switch for the car's electric fans- which makes me wonder. The OP didn't mention the overheating until a day or two after he got the car, right? So presumably the PO or whoever turned them on for the drive home. And then the battery kept mysteriously dying?

...Did you leave your electric fans on?

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Nothing about that ad screams 'this is a good idea'. C'mon, man, you don't have the tools to replace a lovely battery cable. Buying and stripping two rollers is a terrible idea and you will be miles out of your depth.

Your potential car, indeed.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Yeah, definitely check and see if the pullies are in alignment. It doesn't take much for them to start eating belts- the water pump and A/C on my Mustang were out by maybe an eighth of an inch and it happily sliced a belt clean in two before I caught it. Fixing it was pretty easy, though. I scavenged a couple of washers from the engine bay and threaded them on to the accessory bracket bolts until it was in line with the water pump. Worked perfectly. Not bad for a side of the road fix.

Don't drive it until you know why it's throwing belts. Isn't the water pump on the same accessory belt as the alternator on this car?

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Get a set of four jackstands from harbor freight for $40 and a harbor freight floor jack for $100~. The floor jacks are awesome for the money. I hear even the NASCAR guys use them.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Buy a Fox Body.

Buy one of my fox bodies. Please god I don't know where they keep coming from I just walk outside and there's another one there.

EDIT- but seriously, do it. Foxes are the best cheap easy RWD speed there is.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
How long has it been since an AI thread went to the gold mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
found OP's next ride

http://southbend.craigslist.org/bik/4837366569.html

it's even JDM!

• Locked thread