Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Make friends in your area who are car guys.

Go be a gopher, bitch for the day, manager of undesirable tasks.

I have a poo poo ton of stuff to do on the rally car and tell people to show up and turn wrenches for the day and they'll learn alot.

Most don't.

If there is extra time they'll even help you with your poo poo.

If you want to learn about cars you need to work on yours or help others work on theirs as much as possible.

It's like driving fast... you can read about it or jerk off to forza, but there is no replacement for seat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

My mom is cool as hell, she's always down to help :smug:

My mom helped me push a dead forester into the garage the other week. She bitches about the cars all the time though.

Also OP buy a jump pack.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Fix your loving cables already

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sperglord Firecock posted:

It runs, but apparently there's a fuse and/or wire broken leading to the heater that is broken, so the heater isn't putting anything out.

I'm sure I could look up what fuses the 1980 300X uses and possibly just flip in a new fuse.

Edit:

Turns out it's a Datsun 310. There is no 300X.

If you can't/wont figure out the wiring on your first car, why are you looking at ANOTHER car with wiring issues.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm wondering if it's an NA-T or not.

Plugs were read, is it rich or lean?

Does the car have an A/F gauge?

Fix the fan, good call on getting the battery terminal project rolling.

A fun beginner project may be an oil change and send the oil off to black stone. See if the motor is happy or if it's eating itself alive.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

That legacy is awesome.

The 22E did not make enough power to break the 5 speeds and the 22E does not have headgasket issues like the EJ25s.

It's pretty much a bulletproof driveline. The oil leaking they mention is probably the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. I mean maybe the headgaskets are weaping on to the exhaust but loving doubtful.

Sperglord could do a valvecover job in his driveway easy. Hell he could loving call me and I could literally walk him through it.

Cali car looks good.

Stick your head under the back to make sure there are two actual axles going to a rear diff.

You can service a subaru with a metric socket set and a metric box end wrench set. Pretty drat easy. It's the same thing as an impreza so everything under the sun has been documented.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 23, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sounds like a ricer fly by to me.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I thought you got tools for christmas?

Post them?

Any progress on figuring out the ECU and if its an NA/T or NA?

Have you posted the vin yet? You say you know about it but we don't and since you clearly have no loving clue maybe it would help to post it here.

Pull the plugs and see if its running rich or lean? That's probably too much effort for your lazy rear end.

Did you get the wire and tools to run a new battery cable like I said you should do a few pages ago.

Seriously, I want you to pull this thread out of the fire and unfuck this car, but I have my dick out and am ready to piss in the loving well. Stop being a lazy piece of poo poo. That's probably why you got kicked out of the navy or whatever, because you were a lazy loving idiot who took no initiative and got nothing done.

Tough love hurts but holy gently caress this thread is terrible and you need to get off your rear end and do something in your life. PEOPLE ARE DRIVING TO YOU AND LOOKING AT THE CAR AND OFFERING TO HELP AND MAILING YOU poo poo AND YOU ARE BEING A LAZY loving IDIOT. That is more loving effort than I have seen with people helping me build a god drat rally car. Do you know how loving lucky you are? I will gladly eat a probation to remind you how loving lazy you are being. Make some loving effort and put the god drat pj pants away.

gently caress.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Mustang

Miata

Any impreza

or an appliance car

Skip the 80s weeaboo poo poo and get something that is well documented and runs with a relatively simple and bulletproof driveline. He really doesn't have the aptitude or motivation to deal with old or weird poo poo.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm going to be the wet blanket and just say this: it is a stupid Idea to drive to the West Coast to buy a car if you are not financially stable. Source something locally, I live in Salt World and I was able to find a mostly rust free stock Integra with a Manual transmission, you just have to look. Buy something inexpensive, local, cheap to run, easy to repair, and reliable. Something like a low-powered coupe or sedan to learn Manual on. You should be looking at Civics, Proteges, basic Celicas, Miatas, etc., not 1985 Isuzu Impulses or Opel GTs in loving Anaheim.

This.

And I say it again. Look for plentiful japanese cars, not 80s weeabo poo poo. Do I have to fly a god drat plane with a trailing advertisement?

I know you want to watch subtitled initial D with your PJ pants pulled down around your ankles, dick in hand at your moms house looking out the window with your SICK WHIP parked on the street, but holy poo poo just loving stop.

Get something they made eighty million of and has parts out the rear end for and has lots of documentation for every job ever that you probably wont follow and just hurp durp and poo poo post about vs actual car work.

You wont even take pictures of things you are asked.

I'm not convinced you aren't someones parachute account, but if these people are actually coming out of the woodwork to help you, get a car that isn't a horror show. They probably want to work on their own projects more than your lovely "daily driver" (yes I know you can walk from your moms house to your job). Seriously, you should get appliance car (there are actually fun ones) and maintain it along with hanging around others vs getting a train wreck car and floundering around with it.

I really don't know why I keep trying to post helpful yet condescending things in this thread. I am not a good mechanic. We all started from square one. I double gasketed one of the oil changes on my first car. Yet somehow with a lot of motivation and reading poo poo on the computer I manage to make things work. We are 32 pages in and most of it is telling you to stop being an idiot. I don't even want to count battery cable gate pages. Don't you want to have some pages of content and contribution? Even if it is basic stuff like tire rotation, oil changes, plug and wire changes, interior clean up, detailing. All of that is miles better than what we're at so far.

Why do you want to sit at the table when you aren't bringing anything to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

"this group of people who tried to help me were too mean to me and didn't tell me what I wanted to hear"

WELP BETTER FIND ANOTHER GROUP

Le Redditte *tips fedora* Would you like to cruise for m'ladys in my vintage 300zx, the factory model code is Fe2O3.

From all the people in AI who have actually busted their asses on cars, eat a dick OP. The fattest one you can find.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 12, 2015

• Locked thread