Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I don't know how to drive manual.

I'm trying to learn.

Weep for my transmission.
Find and empty parking lot and practice feeding in the power without touching the throttle, working up the gears as you trickle forward. That'll give you a feel for where it bites and takes up drive.

Other than that, don't ride the clutch (keeping foot pressure on it when not needing to depress it) or use too much throttle with it still partially depressed, that's what burns them out faster.

Also, you can make life easier for yourself by talking yourself through it and being deliberate.

Then as you get the feel for it, you'll get smoother at balancing the transition (so there's no jerks between clutch in/out and throttle inputs), and learning how to do things like blip the throttle on downshifts to match engine and gearbox rpm and so on.

It'll come. Give it time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The parking brake also doesn't work, which means in order to park it effectively I either need to have something behind the wheels to stop it from rolling away, or leave it in first gear, which to my understanding, is something that you should not do.
It's not inherently a problem, until you forget you've done it when you get in and start it up! Always dip the clutch...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

It's got a REALLY stiff ride. You feel just about every single bump, and it bumps on you pretty hard.
A previous owner (quite possibly the same one who fitted those hood pins) was likely firmly bought into the false equivalence that stiff=handling.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

this thing drives lightyears better than my last car.
Oh come on, this should be good...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Have you driven a RWD car before?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oooh boy. Simple answer? Find a snowy, very empty parking lot, and experiment. It's not easy to simply express the technique in a short post, so all I can suggest is youtube videos, and practice in a controlled environment.

When shifting from gear into neutral, I assume I use the clutch to stop the transmission from dropping out of my car and onto the pavement.
It's the same as changing gear, only without actually going into your next gear after coming out the previous one. But when stopped at a light or whatever, don't keep the clutch pedal pressed while waiting in neutral is what he's saying. It's better for the mechanicals to have it sending drive into the 'box. Simple answer is slightly better wear on components and lubrication.

In other news, I appreciate everyone's patience with my dumb questions. I really am not a very gearheaded mechanically inclined person, and I figured the best way to accomplish this is by jumping in headfirst and just figuring it out by slamming my head against it until it works.
We've all been there, and most of us learned at least some of it the hard way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Will that cost more than a beater?

Depends how hardcore you are about hunting down cheap crappy cars, really.

If you buy a RWD beater, you can write it off (in both senses) as a training aid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sorry, yeah, you can't really ask a mechanic that, unless you know them personally.

What you need is an experienced and well-equipped AI goon nearby who can talk you through stuff.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

all of them

all of them forever

I'll have to figure out how to do that. Ken mentioned how to do it a while ago, but I don't know half of what he was talking about.
You're probably going to want to be looking at the heavy cabling from the battery positive to the starter, from the battery positive to the alternator (often these are sun in series, so it goes battery - starter - alternator or whatever), and from the battery negative to the body, and from the engine block to either the battery negative or the body.

It's easy enough to spot, as it will be way thicker than any of the other general wiring in there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I use a small Ctek battery conditioner on older batteries myself, and I've found it can often rescue borderline ones that I've let get low, or at least get me a little more time out of them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I really do think that replacing the main battery and earthing cables/terminals would be a rather good idea. These "randomly ceasing to function, occasionally dead battery" symptoms definitely point to poor connections of some kind from where I'm sitting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Black88GTA posted:

Go to a large dealership in your area with cash (especially if they run those WE WILL TAKE ANY TRADE!!!1 ads), ask if they have anything on their trade in lot. Chances are, there will be an entire row of poo poo cars that aren't good enough to put out that they just want to dump. I got an 8 year old Mustang with 42k miles on it for $125 ($200 OTD with all the paperwork done) like this when I was in college.
Yep. "What you got round the back?" was always my go-to when I need a cheap beater.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If this were a war movie, right about now is where you tell us you can't wait to finish your tour, so you can go home to marry the sweetest gal in Illinois and start up a restaurant selling down-home cooking, just like your pappy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Having a Speedometer is kind of a necessary thing.
In a non-turbo early-eighties diesel? No, it really isn't.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

TAKE PICTURES OF YOUR drat ENGINE BAY ALREADY THIS IS LIKE THE AI SLOW MOTION THREAD
Quoting for support.

Just give us nice, focused shots of stuff so we can help you diagnose this poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, for your clutch control, the problem you've got is that you're moving your leg in just one continous motion, and not feeling for the biting point at all.

Here's what to do to practice. Some of this is a repeat, but I'm still going to type it.

Go to a nice, big, empty parking lot.
Make sure the car is in neutral and start it up.
With the engine idling, assuming it is holding idle (from what Southside Saint posted, it may not be), keep your foot off the throttle. Completely. Do not touch the throttle.
(If the engine refuses to hold idle, well, that needs fixing, but for the time being, replace the above line with holding it at ~1000rpm unloaded, and leaning your right foot into the transmission tunnel to prevent you adding or removing throttle input, just hold the pedal stationary. This doesn't necessarily mean hold it at 1000rpm as we progress for the next steps, just artificially hold the engine at whatever the lowest speed it will sit unloaded without stalling is)
Make sure the handbrake is off.
Put the clutch pedal all the way in. Aim to have the pedal depressed by the ball of your left foot, not the middle/arch of it, and with your foot something approaching en pointe, your heel resting on the mat.
Select first gear.
Pivot your left foot slowly back on the heel, so you're very slowly bringing the clutch pedal up.
At some point, the engine revs will start to dip slightly, the car will begin to try and move, and you may feel a slight vibration through the clutch pedal. This is the biting point, where it engages drive to the transmission. Feel exactly where your left foot and clutch pedal are, relative to the clutch being all the way in or out, and how much movement you've really made with your foot.
Seriously, I know you want to, don't add any throttle input.
Continue to slowly bring the pedal up. You may find that the amount of travel is such that pivoting your foot on the heel isn't going to work, so you're fine to move your entire foot/lower leg, just keep the motion slow and controlled until the clutch pedal is all the way out.
The car will be rolling along at a walking pace now. The revs will have stabilised.
Put the clutch pedal all the way back in. No need to do it slowly, just push it down.
Take the shifter out of first, and into second. To feel it, make it a deliberate, three-stage motion. And out of first. And there is neutral. And into second.
Now, just as before, let the clutch up slowly. Can you remember where the biting point is? Were you right? Did the feel match what you remembered, the revs dip a little in the right spot?
Good, carry on, clutch slowly out until it's fully out, and the car is rolling itself along slightly faster now it's in second.
Repeat up through the gears if you can (it should be able to idle in fifth on the flat, if introduced to the idea gently). Each time, concentrate on correlating where you think the biting point is to where it actually starts taking up drive.
Turn around and do it again. Eventually, you'll know where in the motion of your left foot the bite is, and not suffer the lurching/kangaroo routine from a stop.

If you shoot, it's maybe similar to knowing where the release point is on a trigger, and having the feel for releasing back just past it after a shot, rather than all the way. It's different for different cars, but the basic idea of what you're feeling for is the same.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The IRL cool dudes forum *flicks good advice at u*.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

honestly believe that their ratty Honda Civic "COULD TOTALLY BEAT THAT CLASSIC MUSTANG IN A DRAG BRO, RACEU FO PINKU SURIPU".
In fairness, Doogle's ratty Civic would romp all over most Mustangs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My understanding is that the lower compression of the turbo motor compared to the NA is from dished pistons rather than flat ones, so an endoscope camera would let you see down through a plug hole and check that out?

Also, wouldn't a factory turbo car have the word "Turbo" moulded into the rear panel above the number plate? I can't imagine that's something people would swap unless they were swapping everything.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

we're gonna work on wrenching off the turbo, and hopefully I'll learn some neat stuff while I'm there.
What precisely do you mean by this? What's the intent behind the exercise, and what is it you're going to do?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of the problems is that WD40 is marketed and sold with such statements as "WD-40® protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture, and lubricates just about anything."

People using it incorrectly is no worse than the circlejerk you get from people (including several in AI) about materials like titanium and inconel, even though they're only advantageous in certain circumstances. I can't be too harsh on someone thinking they're meant to use WD-40 as a lubricating oil when, if you go to a hardware or car parts store and ask for a spray-can of such, it's probably what they'd give you.

Of course, if you continue to use it as such after being told, yeah, that's a different matter.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

I could have sworn they used to claim "lubricates", but I can't back that up, but they may have changed that line to what the modern can says "stops squeaks", and that's still implying lubrication in my view.
It's lovely of them but yeah, everyone should know by now it does not lubricate.
The line I posted is on the WD-40 website.

WD-40 posted:

Known as "the can with thousands of uses," WD-40 protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture, and lubricates just about anything.

WD-40 posted:

WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.

They also have a load of videos showing how it can be used to lubricate things.

So yeah, it's hard to blame people for thinking it's meant to do the job when they really push it on the marketing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's below freezing outside, when you topped up the coolant, did you use a coolant with antifreeze in it, as opposed to plain water? Because this is really, really important.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

YES! I DID! :D

I can't imagine freezing water inside pipes/tubes is good at all. Anti-freeze is kind of a necessary thing.
Freezing inside the engine block (the coolant runs all through the block, it's full of cavities to let it circulate in there) isn't always terminal, but it can be, and if it happens badly it'll properly gently caress the thing. If you're only a few degrees below freezing, pretty much any antifreeze will work to prevent it, it doesn't need to be a specific "harsh winter" mix or whatever.

This is also one reason why you should draing and refill the cooling system every few years, so it has good stuff in there, it can degrade over time.

In terms of tools, a halfway decent socket set and a cheapo multimeter will get you a hell of a long way with car repair. I'd suggest a set of good screwdrivers, a worklight, and some spanners to bolster that. And obviously a BFH.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I've circled a few things that make your situations different:

This is why my friends come to me for car repairs, even just to do their own work. I am armed for the escalation of warfare against uncooperative mechanicals.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_if8-CkTZE

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
For pulley alignment, I normally just use a straight edge like a metal ruler across them, it's generally pretty easy to see a problem.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it isn't aligned, my order of probablilities would be that the bracket holding it on is badly fitted, or not right for the car, or the alternator itself is incorrect, or one of the pulleys is incorrect. Someone having put it on with a bracket bent or in the wrong place or washers placed where they shouldn't be, something like that, is the most likely reason for it. If it's only out by a few millimetres, I suspect loosening everything off, tapping it back into position, and retightening it (after checking all the fasteners are present) will sort it out.

Don't forget it must be aligned right on both the top and bottom run the belt makes - if it's mounted on an angle, it could well be aligned correctly when you look at it on top, but be off on the bottom run.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is it not bringing on a warning light on the dash for the charging/voltage? Or did these originally have a gauge, which some helpful PO has removed?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How long ago was that? Batteries won't hold a charge forever, especially in the cold.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't think you understand, that is quite capable of being the root cause of every electrical issue you have had or will have with the car, and is amongst the easiest car repair jobs going. You really should do it.

I really don't want to be one of the people bagging on you for stuff, but God drat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So I'm having this dream.
I've broken a Turbo Z.
And these goons are trying to assist me.

So they send some diagnostic advice.
But they can't get through to me.

So they send some parts.

So they send some tools.

So they send someone over to help.

And then.
Just as it looks like they might be about to get through to me.

My.
Wilful.
Ignorance.
Kicks.
In.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CHITTYBAR posted:

Ignorant. Not all Z31's came factory turbo. His car clearly came NA and was backyarded to turbo, there is a big difference.
So you call someone ignorant because you didn't understand their comment, and then immediately start repeating the guff about batteries on concrete floors?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My experience of most cars is that they'll try to keep the (expensive) alternator a common component, and vary the (cheap) brackets and mounts to make it fit different things.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ruh-roh, Raggy. :ohdear:

Edit:

there's a guy down the street at Steak & Shake that might give me a solid $4000, maybe $4500 for it,
Ok, rip his bloody arm off!

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 23, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't understand why people are anti-E30? They're good cars, pretty easy to work on, and well supported. What's the issue?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Would an S13 that clean hang around that long?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Leave Initial D out of it dammit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

track day bro! posted:

I prefer Wangan Midnight
Seriously? The Wangan Midnight anime?

Well, um, I guess, if you're happy...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Bear in mind, we've told him repeatedly of ways to help learn how to get the feel for the clutch, and all for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Eh, you can't blame SF for not seeing the rust his PO didn't tell him about, and then moan about him not telling his buyer when they didn't spot it. Right or wrong on either side, you have to be consistent.

• Locked thread