Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I raced a 1980-something (85? 87?) 300Z during the 24 Hours of Lemons, and it was a hoot. I live downtown if you ever want to get some stick shift coaching / want a hand working on your car. Hit me up via PMs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is there snow out in Downer's Grove? Streets are next to bone dry in the city.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Will do. I don't have a car of my own yet (but am in negotiations with the wife to get one for us). When I do, it'll be easier for me to roll out to the burbs sometime.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you're gonna park the Z over the winter, your best bet will be to take the battery inside and put it on a tender anyhow.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sperglord Firecock posted:

IN OTHER NEWS: Apparently there is a street racing meet-up that happens at 11:30 PM at Lower Wacker Drive when the weather permits and I was given an invite to it.

This is a loving terrible idea.

Oh for crying out loud. Is *that* what I've been hearing every couple of nights during the summer? :mad::arghfist:

If you decide to go to one of those, hit me up. Also, don't go to one of those.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Lower Wacker Drive is a real street? I always thought the Blues Brothers just made it up for the movie.

It's the street where they shot the big truck scene from Batman. My bus takes it every day to work. Get on the Big Snapchat List and I'll snapchat ya some pictures.

I heard there's a way to bump start cars. Will that work with my car?

Again, I'm looking for a way to kinda sorta jury-rig it to work, since being without car is kind of a pain.

Find a hill (lol chicago) or get a burly friend.

Turn the ignition switch to On.

Pop the transmission into second.

Depress the clutch pedal.

Get up to about 10 mph.

Pop the clutch. When the engine starts, press it down again to keep the car from stalling.

The same procedure also works in reverse (if you're going down the hill backwards) or first gear (if second doesn't work for whatever reason).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

IT WORKS.

Safety Dance rolled on down and it turns out that the terminals weren't put on tight enough to make it work.

He'll probably be on at some point to gush about how good the car looks. Apparently the pictures do it no justice whatsoever.

No I didn't. I've been at work all day.

WHO DARES SAFETY IN MY NAME?!!?!?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's a learning process. Get in over your head a little bit! That's how we all learned this bullshit.

I got a truck, finally, so I'll be able to head over and help you wrench on it sometimes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Your car is a good charger. Go driving for half an hour or so.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh yeah. God dammit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That's no Nissan, that's a Datsun!

The suspension, frame, and door sills on the older Nissan can rust out, and when it gets too bad, he can use parts to keep the newer Nissan running. Hell, if it runs, get it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm gonna try to head out his way with a nice camera today.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Okay, so it's quite a nice looking car. Way more powerful than I expected.

Hood pins!

Custom hood prop

It's got a couple of problems from what I saw:
- One of the belts/pulleys squeals sometimes
- Problems idling. The engine will sometimes stop running when you take your foot off the clutch. Idle RPMs bounce up and down a little bit.
- Weak clutch. In third, I was able to make the clutch slip pretty dramatically.
- Dash switch that controls the radiator fan. We definitely need to get a thermal switch wired up.

Fortunately for winter driving, it has massive turbo lag. It's really easy to drive sedately. We went to Autozone and picked up a set of battery terminals like kastein recommended (I picked up a pair for myself). I'm going to order some crimp-on ring terminals, then I'll head over with a crimper and we'll get his battery buttoned up.

I haven't uploaded the video of Mr. Firecock driving yet because there's a cat sleeping on my arm and a wife sleeping on my leg. I'll try to take care of that later tonight. My critique is that he's afraid of the friction zone, so he revs the car really high and then jerks his foot off the clutch. We did a small reverse burnout in the Autozone parking lot. I explained to him how clutches work, and suggested he find a big parking lot and practice making the car roll without using the gas.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 21, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

However, I am not sure what the clearance is going to be like with that pipe there. Where is it going? The turbo and all the plumbing should be on the drivers side. Does it have an intercooler?

Did it stumble or run rough like a vacuum leak? OP really needs to get the manual and learn how to run codes on the old ECU though. It's not difficult.

It does have an intercooler.

Honestly, I can't diagnose the idling issue very well. My first thought was "idle air control valve", but I don't know enough about Z cars to know if this one would have one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mafoose posted:

In all honesty OP, sell the car. You are multiple levels outside your capabilities. If that's not an option, it is time for a beater and a lot of time doing research and unfucking the cheap PO's doing.

I wouldn't go quite that far. Yes, there's a buttload of PO fuckery, but Firecock told me he'd be willing to dump about $5K into getting this car running well once he starts working. Reading the plugs would tell us if the fuelling is way off. Once that's sorted and he has a new clutch in place, then it would be pretty good.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDR2sWtEho

How to explode a manual transmission.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Those pants are the ugliest pants I could find on short notice.

I kinda figured those were your pajamas and I'd just woken you up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Case in point. I was going to send the Op a FPR, and two different thermisters for his cooling fans.....

I reminded him to PM you his address today.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm wondering if it's an NA-T or not.

Plugs were read, is it rich or lean?

Does the car have an A/F gauge?

Fix the fan, good call on getting the battery terminal project rolling.

A fun beginner project may be an oil change and send the oil off to black stone. See if the motor is happy or if it's eating itself alive.

Plugs were not read. I suggested reading them in the future. No A/F gauge.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Dude sell your pile and be Jeepbros with me!

*Sperge buys a supercharged v8 wrangler with an AX-5 and Dana 35 running 37" tires.*

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Correction: I now have a job.

Woohoo! Enterprise?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Automotive Insanity › Z31 Sprergin', leica trollin'

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sperge: "I was making brownies last night and found out I was out of oil, so I used 5W30 instead."
AI: "Don't eat motor oil."
Sperge: "Okay, I only ate about half the tray and I'm feeling pretty okay. My dog got into them though, and he vomited all over the carpet."
AI: "Don't let your dog eat chocolate. Also, clean that up before it stains."
Sperge: "I mixed ammonia and bleach in a 1:1 ratio and used that to hose down the carpet. The house smells super clean now! I think the carpet's permanently discolored and part of it melted away, but that's okay."

:love: you firecock

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The urge to turn a wrench goes away super fast when it's this cold and you're fighting snow.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Editedit: Tools I got are a whole bunch of socket sets of various makes and a lovely multimeter.

I'm not happy about this. Good news is, 100$ Amazon gift card! I'm sure I can order some tools on there.

Ultimately, that's not a bad start. Having a complete socket set in metric and SAE goes a long way.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

jeeeeeeeep brooooooooos

I still haven't gotten around to buying ring terminals yet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I once had a shop put my harmonic balancer on wrong on a previous Jeep. I only noticed after it shredded a belt. I called them up and they told me to bring it in and they'd take a look. The tech took one look and said "Yeah, we'll take care of that for ya." Half an hour later, and I was back on the road.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm gonna be the sole dissenting voice here. Yes, the Z is a calamity wrapped around a catastrophe wrapped around a toasted clutch, but I think Sperge has finally started to grasp the enormity of the hole he's found himself in.

One step at a time, Firecock. One step at a time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SouthsideSaint posted:

Exactly I can bundle up and use my kerosene heater for hours in the cold. In the 100+ days I start gearing jungle nuts and it's all over

Do you think we could borrow the kerosene heater sometime?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

CHITTYBAR posted:

Ignorant. Not all Z31's came factory turbo. His car clearly came NA and was backyarded to turbo, there is a big difference.

Sperg, you have shown everyone in this thread you have no idea. I served in the Military and I met some....interesting people, but I never met anyone that was like the way you are in this thread.

Third, have you taken the battery out of the car and put it anywhere? Just a reminder that leaving your battery out of the car on concrete can drain it very quickly (less than a day). This could explain your battery dying. If you left it in the car the whole time then it's got to be the cables. I seriously can't understand after this many pages you havent tackled the first task set out to you. Do you wear shoes without shoelaces out of curiosity?

Look at this scrub. At least Sperg admits it when he doesn't know.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I got some pictures of the ECU. Looks like it's off of an '84:

That red AMERICAN BASS cable looks like it's from a sound system the PO ripped out. There's a bunch of candy-rear end wiring hooked up to a couple relays floating around in the neighborhood of the battery. I want to figure out what they're for and tear them out if at all possible. Can I use a toner on automotive electronics?

Here's a FREE SOCKET that came with the car. We left it deep in the headlight well because :effort:.

We lifted the car up. Not that we wound up doing anything under it, but it was still good experience for Sperg to know how to do it in the future.

New negative battery terminal.

Sperg said the multimeter was reading around 11 volts, so either his charger is poo poo or the battery is poo poo. The car didn't even begin to crank, so we towed it to the shop. It was only about a quarter mile, all on residential streets. Reminder to me: get a receiver hitch D-ring.

Then we returned the jack to Sperg's neighbor, who is a cool guy who loves old G-body Oldsmobiles.

He was telling us he got that one for free. They were going to tow it to the scrap yard, but he got the tow truck to take it to his house instead.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 20, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mafoose posted:

Is there no cable going to the block?
You need to have a cable going from the block to the battery. On the older Nissans, it went from one of the starter holes (that hold the starter to the block/bell housing) and then to the battery.

There is. It's hard to see in that picture, but the grungy non-electrical-taped cable to the right of the grounding lug is coming from the block, and is ring-terminal'd to the same grounding lug.
e. I assume that's the case, anyhow. That wire goes down, through a thing on the subframe, and then over toward the engine. I was lazy and didn't trace it all the way; I thought it'd be be better to just replace the obviously hosed portion. That decision was on me.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 20, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

"Oh god 57 new posts since this afternoon."

Let me know if you want me to take a look at any local cars with you, Sperge.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Buy my motorcycle if I ever get it back from the shop

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

:catstare:

I think you found the person that built the bathroom in my house.

I think he found something made in the bathroom at my house.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

Skip the 80s weeaboo poo poo and get something that is well documented and runs with a relatively simple and bulletproof driveline.

I agree with this. I made the mistake of buying and working on less popular vehicles with almost every non-Jeep vehicle purchase I've made. Owning a vehicle with a large enthusiast community and lots of aftermarket parts makes a huge difference.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

that involves the OP working on his car.

Patience, shitbox. Sperge is willing to work.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

leica posted:

This thread is such a cluster gently caress. The op should not be driving anything other than an appliance because he's not good at cars.

I think this sentiment is wrong. He's not good at cars, but he wants to get good at cars. Buying an interesting beater (i.e. 80s or 90s cheap fast car that isn't a total basket case) makes a lot of sense in this case.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

His primary transport right now is walking two blocks to work and back. He's in a really good position to be wrenching on his primary transport vehicle.

leica posted:

You're right. Op get a fast 80s beater (rx7)

I did specify "isn't a total basket case"

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Raluek posted:

He took it to a mechanic because he didn't notice that the alt/WP belt was completely missing.
Yes, but he cared about the problem, and he learned what an alt/wp belt is.

• Locked thread