Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008

Welcome to the Z31 community, that's my '85 NA. I've had it for a couple years and done a few cosmetic mods as well as some more involved repairs. I think it's an awesome car that leaves a lot of room for improvement,
and I can't wait to get back into it this winter. If you're not already aware there are a few good resources online, Xenonz31 and the z31performance forums cover most common problems and modifications. It sounds like
your suspension has already been modified because the original suspension was super soft with a lot of body roll. New bushings, struts, and shocks are first thing on my list once I have the spare change. Good luck with yours,
and Im glad there's another z31 thread in AI, these cars get no love and it makes no sense.

Also I have some cutaway drawings I can post if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
You really shouldn't drive it in the snow, ever. It's gonna handle like balls and if they salt the roads at all then that car will disintegrate in rapid time.
If you had spent a lot less then maybe but for a car you just payed almost 5 grand for the winter should not be an option. My car has supposedly
never been driven over salt and there are small rust problems all over. Just get a beater truck or subaru or something for winter, it's what they're for.

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
Seriously it's gonna dissolve, you're a reasonable person to think spending money on undercoating and diligent maintenance would prevent at least most rust but it will get in because it's a datsun. A beater will cost you under a grand, and the Z doesn't need to be insured the entire time you're driving the other car, it's the way I do it here in central NY and it's the only way to do it if you want to preserve that sweet piece of 80's nostalgia. Also this means that you'll have to clean the rats nests out of it every spring, small price to pay believe me.

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4776231886.html
800$ 94 prelude, exactly what you're looking for unless you need to move things, you're just commuting right?

E: gently caress that, get this now
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4775529628.html

ACH-138 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 25, 2014

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
It's manual, and I always notice a passeo when I see one. Its a cheap fwd beater the point is not to look good or be good, it's simply to work, any sporting pretension in the design is a bonus. Well that and you've eliminated the best winter beater in the impreza, I drove a 99 outback sport for a couple years and i would gladly get another one for the control it had in the snow.

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
Yes, and paint it winter camo or something crazy because if you get more than one winter out of it it will give every dollar back that you spent on it.

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008
I had a similar problem when I first got my Z, even had a faulty connection on my battery terminal get loose while I was driving. It caused the car to almost stall in motion which was scary, but as soon as I tightened up the terminal clamp the problem never happened again, you need to change the terminals or the cables or both, it's an easy fix. I also had an overheating issue until I flushed my radiator and replaced my thermostat. It's an official nostalgic car at this point, it needs maintenance and you need to be brave enough to attempt some repairs. The more of these repairs you do the easier they will get, I'm an old hand now at disassembling the top end because my car had a bent valve when I bought it and I hosed up the reassembly a few times before I got it right. The best way to learn is to do and these cars are dead simple compared to what's on the road nowadays, get some garage time in, it will be the best thing in the end.

http://www.xenonz31.com/issues.html

That's a list of common issues and repairs for our cars, read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008

DoubleT2172 posted:

This is a stack of recepts for about $3-4000 dollars in parts that i've had to replace in the last 6 years to keep the car running. All done by me, no labor cost factored into that. This does not include the wrecked parts car that i also bought to pull parts from if needed.

I'd advise you to sell it, buy a junker car that you don't care about, and ruin that by learning to work on cars. Don't ruin a Z trying to learn to work on cars, please.

As a fellow Z31 owner I have to ask you where all that cost came from and what kind of condition your car is in. I bought mine for a grand with a bent valve and almost everything else was fine, It's been fairly easy so far and I've learned to wrench on it as problems have come up but since replacing that valve nothing has been major surgery. OP, don't get discouraged, it sounds like one of the PO's really hosed with this car but the Z31 is not a super complex machine. If anything, I'd encourage you to sell the turbo and go N/A, it's cheaper, simpler, and will probably leave you with almost enough money for another car. Besides, most of the turbos have been either hosed with or thrashed since the 80's and there's really not too much difference between the engines until you get to 4-5k RPM anyway. You can work on these cars, but they will rust and parts will wear out, there is little to no aftermarket support, and eventually I'm guessing this car will eat itself or rot away from something you can't see. Here, have some cutaways and feel better:

• Locked thread