Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sperglord Firecock posted:

There's a small spot of rust on the underside of the car. It's a spot that is easily reachable, ground off, sanded down, no big thing.

The parking brake also doesn't work, which means in order to park it effectively I either need to have something behind the wheels to stop it from rolling away, or leave it in first gear, which to my understanding, is something that you should not do.
How is the spare tire well and rear metal around the tail lights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

If any of you do have some good rust prevention tips that also involve not having it sit in a garage the entire winter (because I do need to go places), I'm willing to hear it. In addition, I MIGHT pick up a winter beater just to drive around.

Sacrificial winter beater is the thing I would recommend. If you're absolutely insistent, Krown undercoating or similar usually helps out if you can get it professionally applied by a good shop. You'll want to get that reapplied every year, and it makes the underside of the car mucky and gross to work on, but it's better than rust.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I feel like I should say that the undercoating also isn't a guarantee of no further corrosion.

Given my life experience with Z31s:

There is a lot of doubt in my mind as to whether they can ever be adequately rust proofed to feel OK about exposing them to salt and excessive moisture.

Another bonus is that a beater will give you a backup car while this one is down for any necessary repairs rather than having to fix it OMG TONIGHT in order to make it to work the next day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The Passeo? What's so great about that?

He's a weird Paseo fanboy in the same way that I'm a weird Subaru fanboy.

If you want to find out how fast even a modern car will melt in salt, can't do much better than a Protege.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think kastein posted recently about how to put new battery terminals on the "right" way. Lucky you, I haven't had to do this in a few years of car enthusiasm and you're getting to do it right out of the gate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good find. A lot of the 80s Nissan stuff is becoming NLA.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Lower Wacker Drive is a real street? I always thought the Blues Brothers just made it up for the movie.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo, never would have figured a dealer would still have that cable in stock. :eyepop:

Nissan is super good about having old stuff in stock. Provided you are supplied with a parts guy who can actually navigate their horrible catalogue, you can pull poo poo from other countries all the way back to the 60s depending what the part is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good work, fellow member of Safety Squad.

e: Given information which has recently been issued to this thread, I wish to retract my endorsement of the SA forums poster "Safety Dance." On behalf of the Safety Squad, I wish to apologize.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 28, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

that sounds expensive... and putting a small block v8 in a small Japanese sports car just gives me an instachub....

Well, let's do this right then. $1495 is a deal, now all you have to do is find a 302 and tranny.

http://grannys.tripod.com/2ndgenrx7fordv8.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Propaganda Bob posted:

The thing about craigslist 'rebuilds' is that you have no way of knowing how competently it was done, until you take it apart and discover their idea of head gaskets was doubling up on the RTV.

Or that the "rebuild" consisted of putting new valve cover gaskets on it. That was a fun conversation.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This thread is like some kind of enthralling mystery that keeps getting revealed layer by layer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How is that car so clean? That'll be nice if the box can hold up. 1993 + being an L does not in any way guarantee all wheel drive, so make sure it actually has rear axles before you pony up for it. :)

e: vvv It will absolutely be an early dual-port low-compression non-interference EJ22, that's the smallest engine they offered on the Legacy in the US (EJ18s were available for the Impreza, but let's not speak of those).

It's a good deal, I'd jump on it. First gen Legacies are getting rarer all the time, especially wagons.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 23, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Got some more gas, lot of air went WHOOSH out of the tank when I removed the cap. Don't know if this is something bad or not, but I figured I'd bring it up.
This is good, means your evap system is holding pressure. When you fill up your car, most (all?) modern cars will trap the fuel fumes in a charcoal canister and release them into the engine later. Fuel fumes are super bad for emissions - leaking even a little bit of gas vapour while filling up your car is worse than driving it every day for a month or some bullshit like that.

Part of the computer's onboard test to make sure you're not leaking this world-destroying toxic vapour is pressurizing the evap system, which is what you heard when you opened the fuel cap. Some cars seem to run a lot more pressure - my Miata makes a frightening amount of noise when I undo the cap.

When you get a leak (most commonly by leaving the fuel cap loose, or by rust rotting out some part of the assembly) you usually end up with no whoosh when you open the cap, and a check engine light. Sometimes you also get an exciting vacuum leak which makes your car run like poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Plinkey posted:

How did I never know this...now I assume my F150 is like 10,000 cow farts every time I fill up, no sound when taking off the cap at all.

If you're not getting a light, you're probably fine. My two Subarus are mouse-fart quiet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Glad you're making some progress on the car. POs are (to a man) lying garbage animals.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good progress there, guys. Did you take the battery somewhere to be tested, or is the shop gonna do the whole thing?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

They pulled up that the Alternator has a bad "Voltage Regulator". So, next project (after the fuel injectors and the spark plugs and checking those) is to save my cash up for a Nissan Titan alternator and slap that bad boy in there, because gently caress dealing with stock 80's parts when I can use something made within the century.
The technology hasn't changed. You can get your Nissan alternator rebuilt no problem or swap out the voltage regulator - it's a $26 part on RockAuto but might be internal to the alt.

Note that a bad voltage regulator is not especially good for an alternator long-term so you might as well go for the rebuild. Just look for an alternator or starter shop in town, it's the same thing as what slidebite just described except using more common terminology :v:

edit: Did you test the battery too?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 20, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Unfortunately it appears the Z31 one is internally regulated, unlike the old Z-cars.

Note that when you're having it rebuilt sometimes the shop will also rewind it to increase the capacity. But this probably costs more than just farting in a new voltage regulator and bearings.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yup that's bad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Holy poo poo yes, get a 95 M.

e: As long as it's straight. Rebuilt title is sorta scary. Take it to an independent bodyshop for an inspection.

Also follow this guide: http://wiki.miata.net/tiki-index.php?page=Checking+Out+a+Used+Miata

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 23, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The only thing clean about your "Airtima" is the title.

leica posted:

Yeah dont buy that miata. I couldnt see that it was a rebuilt on my phone.

This is now the "help sperg find another car" thread.

Agreed, upon further reflection that Miata is probably a megaturd.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Depends how fraudulent he wants to get. At the very least, it runs without massively overheating now; that's a big plus.

Clean the interior, give the car a clay bar and wax and I bet you can find someone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Go to town with a few cans of rubberized undercoat and we're good to go for the average car-buyer.

I'm conflicted about doing something that evil straight out, but I think taking a can of Chassis Saver to it shows a best-faith effort and conceals the problem.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Battery tray doesn't look great, I'd start looking at every piece of metal that's tied in there. It's a common rust origin for nearly every car. Battery should have a better tie-down than that too, I bet.

Seats are pooched. Window seals in the front aren't great. Lap-only belts are dangerous as poo poo.

I'd take a screwdriver and tap all the red looking spots on the floorpan with the handle to see if there actually is "no rust." Bumper lip behind the fender looks kind of hinky, check the paint on that one to make sure it hasn't been tapped.

Otherwise I don't know much about those little cars. I want one though (there's a surprise, huh?)

"New carburetor" worries me a bit. Why'd he swap it? Hillrod fix?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 23, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Oldass carbs don't play very nice with ethanol.

and the throttle shafts do wear out.

So the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel pump strainer needed to and should have been replaced. Wouldn't be surprised if the tank has nasty poo poo sitting around in it.

The carb gasket and intake manifold gaskets are probably pooched too.

edit: No plate. Is it unregisterable?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 23, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Human Grand Prix posted:

Good news, the Miata has one of those.

It's better than most people give it credit for. You should see something that's truly dire like the MR-S.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My suggestion is now to buy the newest Celica you can find. It's a perfect car. Sporty-looking, easy to work on, comfortable, reliable, mechanically tough and relatively inexpensive.

The last generations are fairly resistant to corrosion as opposed to previous cars too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Extra posted:

Perhaps you can answer this question as it has been irritating me. Why is the RSX Type-S a good $3000-4000 more expensive than the Celica GTS? The Sentra SE-R Spec V's lower price makes more sense because of the notorious catalytic converter failures throwing chunks of metal into the cylinders. Is it the usual case of less aftermarket availability for the Toyota vehicle? Is it the oil consumption issues of the 2ZZ-GE?

Boys drive RSXes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DoubleT2172 posted:

The problem with this post is it took him like a month to change a battery cable.

Eh, some of that is no doubt confidence. I don't think I would have been able to replace a negative battery cable solo when I had my first car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Okay, serious mode, there's a couple things in Portland I'd like to take a look at.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4858838310.html

This thing, if it is indeed fully loaded, should be 4WD, has the most awesome dash ever, and looks like a spaceship on the inside.
No, it'll rot away, and parts are hard to find.

quote:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4857147133.html

Integra, which has been suggested before, and depending on how worn out things are, it may be very fixable and drivable on the spot.
I like it. Practical, good condition, hard-wearing interior, four doors so it'll be cheap. That punt in the rear passenger side looks weird, make sure the hatch isn't full of water.

quote:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4853456473.html

Even if this might kill me, I still kinda want it, especially if it is in fact as good of shape as it seems.
Not yet. That one's suspiciously nice but MR2s are a whole new world of pain for maintenance.

quote:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4851705933.html

I heard Scirocco's are neat.
They're extremely neat. The nice thing about VWs of that vintage is even though they're aging rapidly, you can find a lot of spare parts because of all the interchange. They're also (mostly) properly built in that era.

That one will probably fail inspection if the cat is really dickered, and that could probably get expensive if a can of cataclean doesn't clear things up. This would be my pick of the litter.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I need a better name so I stop getting confused with him.

POSITRAC MY NEG DIFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Reddit's right, you know. All you need to do is buy fifty bucks in plate steel from the local Autozone and then hold it up to the frame rails of the car really hard while thinking about that girl who laughed in your face when you finally screwed up the courage to ask her out for the prom THE MISANDRIST SLUT and then your car is all fixed.

Or you could just buy a car you can fix and will be worth something after the fixing.

• Locked thread