Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I live near Ohare. I can help you learn stick as I learned on a Nissan hardbody. I also work at a local shop with a bunch of old dudes who know a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Well good for you I work on piece of shits all the time. And helped a dude in high school with that same car. It had no struts causing an almost lowrider ability which was fun in the class to play with but made for a lovely ride home.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
InitialDave speaks the truth. Even more so if the car was purchased in Chicago. When I come to help you learn stick I can also give it a once over for you. Im really good at dealing with lovely Chicago tuned suspensions.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The three hour ride does confirm it is driveable. But coming from Indianapolis is worse then Chicago in my opinion.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
If the car wasn't old and hadn't lived threw Midwestern winters then I would say probably. But if its rust and garbage underneath your just trapping the rust under rubber.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
everyone is right about the Subaru thing. There are some around here if you look. it also helps to know that doing Subaru headgaskets is easier then a whore on molly. but good thing finding a job im still gonna stop by, probably this weekend if that's cool.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
True about the echos. but around Chicago all echos get stolen smashed rusted and just driven to the death. The latino community of Chicago is big into Toyotas and they keep them till there third death.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
pfft 1k in cash will get you a beater and insurance and tools to work on it. just hope it doesn't brake before your first paycheck.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Oh for crying out loud. Is *that* what I've been hearing every couple of nights during the summer? :mad::arghfist:

If you decide to go to one of those, hit me up. Also, don't go to one of those.

its more then likely the local ruckus scene. They love blasting down lower wacker on there scoots. It was fun the one time I went. But I don't have my elite 150 anymore and the elite 80 only does 45-50 max.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
People who are stupid enough to race on Lower whacker are more then likely going to want to "FIght you BRA" or "RACE FU PINKURU SRIP" don't go. It will end either in police being arriving or other worse options. The stockyards by Chinatown are a much better place to street race. JUST DONT RACE THE JUNK LOOKING G BODYS. there was a guy who used to tow one there that looked like it would fall apart. But once he got up to the line and opened up that small block.....UNNNGGGGHHHH that sound was a sign it was not a POS. But you really should get a shooting stars logo for your windshield. for all the downhill mountain races we do in Chicago...plus that car is GUREATURU for HERRATIGHT DRIFTURU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I'm actually vaguely worried about going there, because apparently there are people that have modified their cars to be exceedingly silly on an AI level, and then exceedingly silly in a "i want to make my shitbox look as ugly as sin with stickers and body kits" way.

I'm also gonna need to get a hood prop at some point. Don't have one. :<

http://local.sears.com/Lisle-Hood-Prop/p-00947316000P?st=1620&sid=IDx20141117x00001xlpla#!/

Buy this and never need to worry about needing a hood prop again. its cheaper then what the dealer will sell you. Unless you feel like junkyarding but even then nissans don't last long in the junkyards around here.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

The best place to 'street race' is at the nearest track, strip, or autocross event unless you're really, really dying to lose your license and get your car impounded.

Street racing is dumb.

Never said it wasn't. Just recommended a place I went too that wasn't a super busy place like Lower whacker drive. the stockyards in Chinatown result in some kid smashed in a riced out civic. Where as some idiots racing down lower whacker results in all types of death and horrible shenanigans. Once again either way street racing is dumb and a bad thing. Last time I went to the street races was ten years ago.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
you should just take it back and tell them to order the correct part. Unless you want to have a OEM positive cable. And you might be able to jerry rig something. But the end that attaches to the battery would have to be changed. And with that weird ground being right by the end of the negative cable you would need something to do that with as well.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Yeah it was me. That car sure looks a lot better in real life. That was a nice red and it was fun to drive thanks for letting me do so.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
your right about coasting in neutral. Its a good thing. and look for your Pet cock, gentley carress the petcock in a counterclockwise motion. Repeat effect until hot thin green liquid soaks hands, driveway,face, what have you. If you want to do a semi legit flush poor some water through once the petcock is open.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Dyscrasia posted:

I think that it's safer to use engine braking rather than coasting neutral. If your in neutral, you will be unable to accelerate in an emergency. It also messes of the driving dynamics of your car, weight balance shifting, that sort of think. Very important for snow driving.

Nothing harmful to the car, but better practice to stay in gear when slowing down.

everything you said is correct. but he has stated a few times he is not going to drive in the snow. also when first getting started learning manual its better the just put it in neutral and not stall out trying to decelerate to a light.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
soooooo after driving your car and falling in love with all the eightys technology and styling I may be doing something a little insane. My accord is getting put up on the chopping block for the first rear wheel jdm I find.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
please stop....someone in Indiana has a 200zx and ive been looking at it....just needs some clutch work.....I hate my hands and love being abused by ancient rusty bolts...what could go wrong....also I cant find any starions...and mariooncrack his handbrake is more for asthetics at this point in time.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Plinkey posted:

Hey, found something that will be very useful for you if the info is even slightly accurate.

http://diyservicemanuals.com/nissan-300zx-service-repair-manuals/

:argh: I was just coming to post this!!!!! but speglord firecock you know how I said rx7s are a bad idea if you aren't very mechanically inclined....Ive found one in the gen I like and in a good price range......ive also found a few ford v8s for cheap that drop right in :getin:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Also on the way home my wife told me she wants to completely rebuild a motor. perfect reason to buy a rotary or a bad v8 to rebuild and drop in....

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
that sounds expensive... and putting a small block v8 in a small Japanese sports car just gives me an instachub....plus my wife is more into euro/merican cars anyways...she did give me the go ahead to try and find an old bmw to fix....she also started telling me all the things she noticed with your car. and she laughed at your rims....

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I think the rims look nice. :< Mind you, I'd like them to be black.

What did she notice about my car? Hopefully good things.

She noticed the way they spray painted the rims and found it funny. She liked how clean it looked and the shape. She has OCD most of the time. She also loved the flip up headlights and that they worked. But she always laughs when someone ghetto paints rims. also she loves 80's futuristic feauturus

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
That should be fine. and I mean just make sure the bulk of it is out of the radiator before you close the petcock. also as a forwarning coolant may leak when its full and you have a good coolant. Its just that you may have had enough to get the car running but not enough to get to that point in the system and leak. Or the pressure from the correct amount may cause a leak somewhere in the system which may be as old as???????

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
As much as the radiator will take the first time. Then lit it run till the temp gauge reads warm. Then check the level again and add to the radiator or add to the reservoir.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
yeah id make sure that you have enough coolant. all cars are different and will hold air pockets different which could lead to over heating. or stick a thermostat.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
One of the battery terminals could have poo poo the bed. I told you the one was kinda jenky. But it worked and at the time you didn't have a replacement. But if the shop tells you a HUGE list of poo poo wrong ill be able to help again this week , but next weekend im getting some tool boxes so it would have to be before then. But hopefully the shop doesn't dick you too hard.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
his negative cable is trashed in multiple locations and the brass fitting that goes around the terminal was kinda junk. He probably needs new cables. also some type of solenoid under the exhaust manifold had a loose wire....ive never really delt with 80's Nissan tech so that's the only way I could describe it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
no it was two small similar terminals on something that looked semi vacuum operated. and they were wires that went over tiny brass lugs that had a plastic end cap screwed over the one and nothing over the other.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I can help you make a battery cable and make it have that ground. I just need to get a new crimper. It also would have to be sometime next week. im outta town this weekend. But this is something easy we can do together. I thought your belt was really squeaky the day I drove it. didn't really give it to good a once over though since I was more concerned with the battery.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
hey dude I don't know if you still have my number but I was busy this weekend but I can defenitley help you this week some night or Saturday. Just let me know. I can borrow a fuel pressure guage from work and we can see why your betty is a oval office rather then a bitch.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
yeah I threw the goon in the well some rope...he still kept digging...err driving. I told him it should be ok. but I bet he still didn't put the one grounding bolt in the battery cable....Ill just keep digging.....

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
you may be terrible at driving now but give it time. I once SUCKED at driving a manual. Then I spent a few days driving my dads truck to a work site down 290 in morning rush hour..so what im saying is get a cup of coffee grab a smoke of choice and drive that bad boy around the Chicago highway in rush hour....you will learn how drive stick....or wreck the car...

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
yeah that was exactly what it was like when I drove it. my big rear end boots accidentaly held the gas pedal and I thought that was the cause of the squeaking belt. But this was also before the mechanic "Replaced it" so it could be the belt they didn't replace for you is now squeaking. If you can drive that thing to by my house at a location I will PM you. I can look at it sometime tomorrow during the day??? just pm me

Edit: after further review of the pictures and me not being outside in the freezing wind I realize your missing a mechanical fan. And im guessing the PO removed it in order to have that hella sick turbo pipe run across the front of the engine. WE NEED TO GO JUNKYARDING!!!!!

clam ache fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 21, 2014

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

If I dint suck at Photoshop I could circle things but Ill just try to explain. SO first the belt in the rear of this picture looks old the one on the front looks new due to the paint not being poo poo. Also those four bolts on the pulley should be holding a mechanical fan to that water pump. And the little relay that is ziptied has the wires all twisted like some P.O. Fuckery so if your fans are electric that may help control them.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
when I first met him he didn't wanna hear otherwise about something being bad . His response was always the motor was just rebuilt. From looking I could tell rebuild may have involved a case of natty ice and a twenty bag of meth. But the more I talked and the more everyone here has told him WTF. I think hes getting that the PO is always a motherfucker and is always willing to lie to make that sale. But he is slightly learning/changing for the better. I myself am heading there after Christmas and taking my tools and knowledge so we can have a more appropriate list of problems.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
If I remember right he said the original owner was from Indianapolis sooo........ I imagine :banjo: with a lot of :catdrugs:. although I don't get how he drove it home from there....

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Dude as someone who has gone down a road like this with a shitload of project bikes/scooters. its not worth it. Just get a Toyota corolla with a stick for like 1500 maybe a little less. have something boring reliable and stick shift. you will learn and not have to worry about crazy maintenance. Be some automotive sanity, DO IT!!!!! PEER PRESSURE!!!!!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
so if your serious about a Subaru I will come with you to look at one. I was at the Subaru dealership for a while and know some of the common problem areas on all older legacy....mainly rust rust and headgaskets. also if you need help looking for a car just PM your specifics and ill send you a few links to decent cars.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

Typically, aren't ricers make their cars look fast instead of actually doing performance mods?

Yes or they do it to a vehicle that will never ever ever have a chance of being decent. Or the only chance the vehicle has of going fast is off the side of a tall cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^^^ that is very true. But how many of the civics you see today actually have a strong power plant behind them not just a swapped VTEC with an AEM intake. I love properly done civics. around Chicago that's a ratio of 1 to 1000 tho.

• Locked thread