Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I almost bought a 280zx 2 seater but it was the rustiest car I had ever seen in one piece

instead I shall live vicariously through you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That doesn't seem to be that bad this starts up every morning even when it's 7f outside:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
sounds like you need to get a SHOOTING STARS decal for your windows

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
is there not a fill line on the expansion tank that you're supposed to fill it to?

Is there any coolant in the expansion tank at all?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
are you sure you have gas?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Oooookay, just found something interesting.

Bitchin' Betty, when I turn the key to run, says, "FUEL LEVEL LOW".

..... Goddammit, did this guy suck out all my gas or something?

Alternately, the fuel pressure is hosed.

I'm going to try gas first. That's the easiest thing to fix.

lmao

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

rscott posted:

are you sure you have gas?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Thread continues to live up to title

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

slidebite posted:

IIRC a stock NA Z32 put out more HP/torque than a stock Turbo Z31.

they are a bit heavier though

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I would totally rather work on a car when it's 95f out than when it's 5f out, cold makes everything brittle and lovely and every single whack on your hands hurts 3 times as much and you can't do anything precise because you're shivering

gently caress that poo poo unless you really have to

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sperglord Firecock posted:

So the next thing.

Once I do find that it is misaligned, do I buy a new pulley? Or just try and wiggle the pulley so that it is indeed within alignment? Or mechanically agitate it until it's in the right spot?

You'll need to shim it with washers

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
No, keep the thread open, it's useful for reminding myself that no matter how much I loathe myself at least I'm not as loving stupid and wrongheaded as the OP is

Protip OP: If you don't know what the gently caress you're doing, you probably shouldn't completely disregard the advice of people who do know what the gently caress they are doing in favor of your harebrained plans

How the gently caress are you 26 years old and been through the military and not had this habit of thinking you're smarter than everyone else and you can do it your own way (which is totally what you are doing even if you won't admit it) broken yet? You aren't going to learn a god drat thing if you won't actually listen to anyone.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
pretty sure that's actually sperg

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Pretty sure these cars are unibody so they don't actually have a frame. Did they show you where the rust was at? If there's a lot of rust in the rockers or the floorpans it's probably best to cut your loses at this point.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I forgot how much you paid for it but if you get out of this with under a thousand bucks lost then you should consider yourself super lucky

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
yeah I'd be talking to the dude at the steak and shake tomorrow
e: Tell him the car was too fast for you or something, which is probably actually true tbh

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I too almost bought a turbo z car but I did like twss said and put two fingers clean through the floor boards straight into the carpet. poo poo was like paper mache

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
where's all the hvac poo poo?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
an AE86 has marginally more utility, after all it's delivering tofu :colbert:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
God I want that Jag so badly, but I think I'm going to settle for the e23 with a blown heater core

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
have you actually looked at the prices for e30s lately?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The first three are poverty spec etas or an automatic convertible, literally the least desirable e30s besides the other one you linked, an m10 318i! Sport seats in good condition can easily run $200 each. Medium case LSDs run $400. Quite a few of those cars wouldn't make the trek back to Chicago in their current condition, so add another $800-$1k to get out trailered home (better hope the driver isn't tweaked out and doesn't gently caress your car up!), or pay someone out there to fix it who has you over a barrel.

Come on dude I know this is AI but let's be realistic given the course of this thread so far.

e: literally every e30 ad with that mentions leather seats actually has vinyl, sooooooo

e2: If you have your heart set on an e30 and you're going to buy one of the ones listed this one is probably the best: http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4857604177.html since it's the only one I would trust you to drive home

e3: Figure another $600 in parts+labor to replace the timing belt, water pump and the rest of the cooling system on any e30 you buy that doesn't have receipts showing it was replaced in the last 5 years/60k miles, read the bmw thread to figure out why

rscott fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 23, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I don't understand why people are anti-E30? They're good cars, pretty easy to work on, and well supported. What's the issue?

I'm not anti E30 I'm anti telling someone who knows jack poo poo about them to fly 1500 miles to the pnw to buy a sketchy one and then drive it back, especially when they're quoting circa 2008 prices for everything

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Indestructible except if you overheat them which is really easy to do because god drat cooling system, they're timing belt driven interference motors etc

But hey what do I know about E30s I just drove one for years while doing all my own maintenance

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Raluek posted:

But the problem isn't specifically that he didn't know the one thing, it's that he didn't have the ability to open the hood, look at what was there, and realize what the problem was. This is definitely something that is needed if he's going to own something old and cool. It requires curiosity and the ability to understand the things you see and hear. How many times have you saved something from failing catastrophically because you noticed that the car sounds slightly different than usual? Even if you don't know what the problem is, you need to be willing to go "that ain't right", open the hood, and survey the situation. That is the problem, as I see it, not that he didn't know about that specific thing.

Yeah, this. I didn't know poo poo about BMWs before I started looking to buy one and actually owned one. I've probably spent 400+ hours over the last couple of years just reading about E30s and that has bailed me out quite a few times. Sperglord, whatever you end up buying if you wind up selling the z31 you have to be proactive about poo poo. If there's a Bentley manual or something for your car you should find a copy and at the very least read about the maintenance schedules and how to do stuff like change the oil and the air filters and poo poo.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
lol, there is no way that s13 is going to sit for the next 2+ months unless you pay the guy now and go get it later

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
yo honestly why do you think you are capable of owning a car like this (or any car that isn't under warranty for that matter) when you have had to be dragged, kicking and screaming into doing the simplest poo poo? go back and read this thread dude, just read your own posts and look at the dates on them. It took you WEEKS to do a 15 minute job and I'm pretty sure it only got done because another goon came over and pretty much did it for you/made you do it. It's been said a million times already but show some loving initiative for christsakes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

revmoo posted:

Hmm there hasn't been a MOD CHALLENGE in AI lately...

Please this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
yeah you still don't know what the gently caress you're talking about

• Locked thread