Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Sperglord Firecock posted:

..... I've been doing that. I'll stop doing that. I just thought that as long as the clutch is in, it's in neutral, so it doesn't matter if you move the knob to first.

I'll try to avoid rehashing my entire disjointed transmission lubrication spiel from the stupid question thread a couple weeks ago, but you always want your countershaft spinning when the driven wheels are turning. Since first is unsynchronized, neutral with the clutch up is the best way to achieve this when you're nearing a full stop, until you get to the point of learning how to to double-clutch (don't worry about double clutching for now, wait until you've mastered all the other stuff).

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

NOPE.

Okay, so essentially, when I want to come to a stop, I should disengage whatever gear my car is in and change it to neutral.

When shifting from gear into neutral, I assume I use the clutch to stop the transmission from dropping out of my car and onto the pavement.

This only applies to the point where you're at the bottom of 2nd and would otherwise be going into 1st. If you're going faster than that and slowing down then you should be downshifting as you go because that will always deliver sufficient oil to the mainshaft. Exception being a surprise yellow light/panic stop, in which case you just hammer the clutch and do what you gotta do to not hit poo poo.
And yeah, you clutch into neutral but it won't explode if you don't, it'll just put a little extra stress on the collars and synchros (and it takes a lot more force on the stick) unless the gears are not loaded.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 24, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The only thing I have going for me is that all of the major running components on my car work, the engine/clutch/turbo were completely rebuilt about 5k miles ago, and so are effectively brand new parts, and I have enthusiasm! :mrgw:

Also you seem to have a good attitude and you have a gaggle of jerks to answer your questions in exchange for watching your adventures.
and yeah clutching in to stop from third is bad, 2nd is also going to be your best engine braking gear anyway.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Is this true for most transmissions? I may have been unintentionally beating on mine if it is. :ohdear:

Erm, actually I was just about to correct myself on that. Z31s had T5s (WCT5 in the case of the Turbo models) which did have a synchro'd first gear.
If it goes into 1st while you're moving without drama or having to double clutch it's probably synchronized. I believe a synchronized first is more common than non-synchro'd but don't quote me on that.
All I know is the C59 in my Vibe is definitely not synchro'd on 1st.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 24, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

AI: "Don't eat motor oil."

I've used Rotella as cooking oil. Fresh engine oil that hasn't been inside an engine is not really toxic or harmful aside from a tendency to give you diarrhea in large doses (<250ml), nausea in extreme cases (>1L). Not to say that was in any way a good idea but in a pinch it worked and hasn't affected my health.
(I was camping, cooking with a cast skillet and spilled the container of vegetable oil I had brought. I had already read the MSDS and knew what I was doing and I totally didn't want to have to reseason the skillet. It actually didn't even taste bad)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 3, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I've wanted a Multi (why they didn't call it that stateside still confounds me, it's not even really a Stanza) since highschool, but every time I got the urge and had some spare cash I couldn't find one. :smith:
GET THIS THING SPERGCOCK

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Really, why doesn't Sperglord just get a 240sx?

He could get one that's been SR20 swapped or he could do it himself after he learns about them. Pretty neat cars to work on and very straightforward.

It'll be tough to find a good, unmolested one, but they're out there and his price range is on point for one.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/4853081610.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4861329515.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4855560309.html

Actually, yeah S13 kinda works. KA24 is the perfect motor for babby's first 5spd, it's got the JDM doriftu factor spergcock is pretty hard set on, they rust slower and are much more common than z31s and he can do an SR swap when he gets bored with the tractorpickup motor.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Also, that Stanza Wagon, what's up with it? Because it looks awful.

It's an '80s Mazda5. They're slow and they look ridiculous but they've got charm, personality, a clutch pedal and a poo poo ton of space.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Welp.
I've never seen a more appropriate time to drop this:
http://goo.gl/OzoUjJ

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

Yup

That dude is a pro at it too, got his downshifting frenzy down and everything.

I was in tears after he jerked the handbrake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I need a better name so I stop getting confused with him.

That or you could change your av to his old one, slap on a pair of ridiculous pants and start pretending to be him. Come on it'll be hilarious.
(honestly it's not a tough distinction to make, esp considering you've had that av and crewtag for a while and his is a big ol' redtitle)

• Locked thread