Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The one tiny cherry on the poo poo sundae that is wrenching in the cold is that you have easy access to snow when you inevitably smash your fingers into something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Considering I don't have a heated garage to work in, there is no way in hell I am working on my car in below freezing temperatures when I do not 100% need it at this time.

Pussy

:colbert:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I still cannot believe somebody would backyard convert a car that came Turbocharged from the factory already.

Low blow man... Low blow. :smith:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

This is just beautiful and needs more love

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Raluek posted:

Yeah if you're going to build the engine right, I can see the appeal. But not if you're just gonna slap some ebay poo poo on there and not even tune the motor.

Who are we kidding, if sperg had a factory turbo car we'd still be at the same stage. At least we can take a little bit of solace that he didn't get his lazy hands on a factory turbo model and let it die by apathy.

Sperg, what have you done exactly on the car since the inception of this thread? Oil change at least, maybe?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

What a perfect end to the saga that is this thread has become. Another testament to the lying nature of PO's and Sperg's lazyness.

Echoing it again, Run. Run far. Run fast. And that would have been really really easy to see if you had just looked underneath the car before picking it up, or at least asked for pictures of the underside.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've got a 98 Altima that has very *slight* rust, and a pretty new-to-manual friendly clutch. Clean title. Won't do sick doriftu's unless you crank the e-brake though.

Any value above scrap and it's yours Sperg.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The only thing clean about your "Airtima" is the title.

Its the iron-oxide trim package, thank-you-very-much. The active weight reduction is a very sought after feature in racing I'll have you know.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Depends how fraudulent he wants to get. At the very least, it runs without massively overheating now; that's a big plus.

Clean the interior, give the car a clay bar and wax and I bet you can find someone.

Go to town with a few cans of rubberized undercoat and we're good to go for the average car-buyer.

How much could he actually sell the thing for?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm conflicted about doing something that evil straight out, but I think taking a can of Chassis Saver to it shows a best-faith effort and conceals the problem.

Its an 80's Z car in the rust belt that's been backyard converted to a turbo model and has some more mystery mods. Its got more than enough red flags to turn away an educated buyer. Encase the rust and dont draw too much attention to it and someone capable (or hilariously not) of dealing with its issues will buy it. I wouldn't think it too unethical unless you stated it was rust free and demanded a price that would reflect that false condition.

I think it boils down to asking price and claims in the fs ad for the most part.

leica posted:

Just buy a loving corolla/camry with your navy check and learn basic maintenance. Resist the urge to buy another basket case for the love of god.

This. "Boring" cars can still be a hoot to drive and you won't find yourself up shits creek without a paddle since maintenance on these are pretty simple. And please actually inspect your next purchase. Never take a PO's word on faith alone.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

revmoo posted:

Hmm there hasn't been a MOD CHALLENGE in AI lately...

IOC - the people demand a challenge! Will you satisfy our blood lust?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

PaintVagrant posted:

I honestly felt bad for this dude until he just started talking about loving over the next guy. Then most of AI agreed with him, which is disappointing.

Well technically sperg and the rest of AI didn't know about the frame issues until recently, we foolishly assumed that something that obvious would have been spotted before purchase. If he had sold it before he found out about it, like much of AI had told him, the rust would still have been there. Its wrong of him if he states that the car is rust free when selling, but if he simply neglects to mention it, or throws a coating on in a futile attempt to encapsulate the rust and postpone the inevitable, well then it's on the buyer to do their due diligence when purchasing this heap. There's already plenty of red flags that would tip off most buyers to look over this thing with a microscope before money exchanged hands.

We're just saying, why does sperg have to be the idiot who takes the complete hit for his stupidity. I think his price was a $1k less than he paid (confirm/deny? This thread is too much of a rollercoaster to go through) so he's still hopefully learning a lesson(doubtful but we can dream), and maybe this 300zx will continue teaching the next idiot and the next about doing your due diligence before purchasing a multi-thousand dollar asset.

And I'll reiterate, IOC MOD CHALLENGE, PRETTY PLEASE?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Somebody want to link that very recent news article about the enterprise employee crashing a car going around a corner that was talked about in the chat thread? I can't seem to dig it up on mobile.

Also: "Very clean body" hahaha, I guess it's clean in the not-covered-in-dirt sense.

I wonder if sperg will come back to his thread, maybe when he buys an even worst baby's first project car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Top of page, might as well make this comment make sense edit:

Ah. The "I don't like what I'm hearing so I'm going somewhere where I'll hear what I want" approach. Little does Reddit know just what type of lazy animal sperg really is. They will soon learn what money is not a issue and I'm willing to learn really mean with our masterful sperg.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 12, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ sperg, anything can be salvaged and restored if it's worth it OR you have a big enough wallet. You have neither.

Emphasis added. In case our advice is being misinterpreted, AI is saying that for you, Sperglord Firecock, it is best for you to sell your rusty 300zx and start off with a car that's more in line with your goals and skill level. People have done full on restorations from what's essentially a VIN plate, as stated anything is technically possible with the right skill set and a willingness to do to the work (or the pockets to pay for it). That being said, in your case it looks like you have neither the skills, nor the motivation, nor the financial stability to actually address the numerous issues a project car like this requires. The rust is just the final nail in the coffin as dealing with it is generally considered a huge pain in the rear end and most likely very expensive, and way beyond your current skill level.

As has been frequently stated in this thread, we have all started somewhere. We all learned how to turn wrenches and swear at stuck bolts at some point, but we were willing to learn and put effort into it. It's why it's a passion for us. You have been spoon fed since the inception of this thread and have just recently discovered the concept of looking underneath your car. You are the physical embodiment of the "lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink" idiom.

If you choose to keep this car, and you continue your behavior as showcased in this thread, I can guarantee this project will fall apart sooner rather than later, to the amusement of those who warned you.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Octopus Magic posted:

Get some rod metal and make a roll cage for those 80 mile per hour cornering ecstasy moments.

Eh, pvc pipe should be fine.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fiberglass is pretty lightweight, and sports cars are made from it, plus it doesn't rust! It's a win-win-win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

SuperDucky posted:

e I am a bad poster and should have let this die. My bad, guys.

What is dead may never die! :GameOfThrones:

• Locked thread