Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 236 days!)

atomicthumbs posted:

instead of anime, put a gold Firebird decal on the hood, to make everyone mad.

I heartily endorse Nissan Thunderchicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Sperglord Firecock posted:

That brings up a valid point: What should I have for the vanity plate? If you can have punctuation, I was thinking maybe GETOUT!.

STHROGN

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

It probably has to do that I was watching Undeclared earlier and your pic reminded me of Seth Rogan.

I assume your first project will be to clean up that 80s vacuumess under the hood?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I wouldn't even know where to begin on vacuum lines, and I really am not even aware of what vacuum lines are.

Oh, you will. You will.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Find a good manual- hopefully with hose and electrical routing schematics and stock up while you can still get to the store and back. :q:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Subscribed to thread.

All suggestions to date are actually helpful and not designed to kill you. That may change.

If you have/had a nearby closed store which has an asphalt lot which is in somewhat disrepair- covered in snow (and ice), this will be the best place for you to learn how to handle RWD, and how to handle a manual in bad weather. Give yourself a few hours to really get the hang of it, then do it again the next day (whenever you can) until you begin to get comfortable with it. We don't want you to panic steer yourself into a shoulder rail or do a panic dump into first and leave the go-forward smoke and metal in your wake.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I'll have to look into getting one when I get an actual legitimate source of income, since cars do cost money.

It's just a matter of time before someone suggests you sell the Z and get a 240DL and an Impreza.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

This is just what makes AI so awesome.

"I bought a nearly 30 year old car on a whim. Its my first RWD manual."
'Ok. Here's how you drive it.'
"I'm going to drive it this winter."
'No. Get a lovely car for that sort of thing.'

Sperglord is the new Rhyno?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Don't worry with the formalities. Hes' another AI person with Auto ADD. You'll probably buy or sell him a car soon. :v:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Am I the only one that sees something strange about buying an awesome car and not driving it? Do as I say, not as I do.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

The real thing is, I don't want it to turn into a rustbucket over the winter, and I don't want to end up wrapping it around a pole.

So if I have the option of not driving it, I'll take it.

I can understand wanting to keep the car in nice shape- AI hasn't done a lot to help you get used to it, though. :q:

So, are you getting a Volvo or a Subaru as the daily driver?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Neither. Depending on the job I get, might not even need to drive to work.

Who claimed necessity was the reason to get another car? When not at work, you can tear it apart and work on that!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Find a shiny metal part on your engine. Clamp jumper cable to that. Clamp other end of jumper cable to negative terminal of car. Ziptie off the other side of cable. Get replacement. Drive home. Replace.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Feed it green. Just give it a flush and refill. The hardest part will/would probably be to flush the heater core, so go ahead and drain/fill a gallon of premix at a time between drives if you don't really want to get too deep into it. It won't be a great flush, but it'll be better than just running the old poo poo as it is, topped off.

Greatly anticipating followups. What color is the new replacement Oil Catch Can going to be?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I got Prestone 50/50. Why is it important to feed it green as opposed to other anti-freeze?

That depends whats in it, but green is the "universal" additive. I doubt it is running anything else, but pop the cap and check before blindly buying fluids.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fair enough. I haven't checked to see if it's green, but worst case scenario, anti-freeze is cheap. Not like I have anywhere super important to go in the near future anyways.

As for flushing/draining/refilling.

I'll probably figure out where the coolant goes on my own, but where is the thing underneath the car to unscrew to drain the coolant out?

Usually its a spout on the radiator. Sometimes you need to remove the lower radiator hose and drain it that way. The only problem with this - you don't properly drain the heater core. If you were more experienced, I'd suggest a full water flush of the system by draining all fluids and running a few cycles after refilling with distilled water. As it is, you'll probably be fine as-is. If you don't have 'green' in it, post back here. AI will be able to tell you what it is- universal coolants shouldn't make too big of a problem, but it is always best to be safe.

I'd also suggest a replacement of the thermostat while you're at it. Did you try to kick the heater on when it got hot to see if it dropped at all?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

With every post, this thread title becomes more and more apropos.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

atomicthumbs posted:

No click? That'd be your charging system (probably the battery terminal) having shat itself.

With a click and no crank, probably the same.

:eng99: Unless Ford.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Astonishing Wang posted:

When it gets back from the shop you should change whatever battery cables are still in lovely shape.

All both of them. :v: He means any tapped leads off poz, of course.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

You know what is a cool car to drive? A used Saturn Ion. It has a half-a-suicide door 'n' stuff. Maybe even XM!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I'm really trying to be nice here- if a shredded belt makes you frantic (and you can't tell that is what happened), this isn't the car that should be the one you drive (nearly) daily. It is going to cost you far too much just to keep it running. Get a shitbox for the daily, or, you know.. uh.. sell it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Safety Dance posted:

It's a learning process. Get in over your head a little bit! That's how we all learned this bullshit.

Yeah, but this is too nice to grenade in the name of "Oh, I hosed up." Kill an SL1. I hear you get money back from the government for bringing back bits of the plastic body 'n' poo poo..

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

How about the car?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

This thread provides both amusement and bemusement.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

That is a pretty lovely set, even being Harbor Freight. It has virtually no usable wrenches, and they added a ton of their $5 for twice-as-many-as-here screwdrivers. OP would probably do better picking up the sockets, wrenches, and pliers separately.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Make sure your camera isn't overheating and the battery posts aren't too weak for it to turn on. :ohdear:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Imma jus' leave this here..

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Sperg, tell me your next car will be an early 80s SAAB 900 Turbo. :allears:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Safety Dance posted:

I'm gonna try to head out his way with a nice camera today.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fo3 posted:

Hoping for 1990s euro, with biodegradable wiring looms.

Nah. wrapping looms isn't big deal. Whats a little short among friends? v:v:v
My suggestion has a backwards motor, slightly slanted. Mated to the trans easier, you see.. even if replacing the belts confuses the gently caress out of anyone not privvy.

Also, if he gets old enough, it is an oil (only) cooled turbo..

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

What the gently caress is up with those pants? Did the bolt come free with a purchase of two McCalls patterns?*

*I only expect Motronic and meatpimp to get this reference.

(I don't want to hit anyone by accident, either.)

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I've got at least a half dozen ohmmeters. I'd be happy to snailmail one of those (guaranteed to be somewhat better than a HF freebie). Don't really have much else that is small and/or cheap to mail.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

kastein posted:

The other entirely logical option here if the engine is not capable of handling boost is to simply put it back to stock. Will still be a fun car, and much less likely to explode than a hillrod-turbocharged setup. Keep the parts you take off when going N/A, then read up on how to turbo an N/A 300zx properly and start collecting parts... while fixing the rest of the PO's hamfuckery.

This is an awesome idea- but shouldn't we get past 'using a clutch' first?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

There are at least two NX out here. I see a red one about every 4 months and a white one about every 3. I'm pretty sure that if they are in the same place at the same time the universe will collapse.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

You want this.

Its a manual, and there is something very, very VERY wrong with it to be going for that price, even for parts. Dive in(to the solid ice) head first!

given the replaced parts, my guess is that the valves are (still) bent, the head is warped, and it is pissing fluids faster than you can replace them. Perfect!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

How much longer until we start pissing in the well?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Plinkey posted:

When he buys an early 90's 900s convertible turbo with electric everything.

:spergin: A 900S is non-turbo, though.

A 1995 900 Turbo Convertible would be perfect- the only year they didn't use hydraulics for the top, and it was the first "NG900" 'vert. Guess what always breaks. Especially if it had the Opel poo poo engine (which was technically an SE). The only good thing about it was that if you got the 4 speed slush, it was pretty resilient. Most of the time.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant, I gave up on Saab a while ago. Not S.

My Dad had a 94 turbo convertible I think, went to like 290k miles but needed like $100-$300 of work for every 1k miles.

You can come back at any time. To be fair, it did that after it hit 250k, I'm relatively sure. Then you have a lot of vacuum hoses and poo poo that likes to crumble.

Safety Dance posted:

Dude sell your pile and be Jeepbros with me!

*Sperge buys a supercharged v8 wrangler with an AX-5 and Dana 35 running 37" tires.*

Well thats one way to get out of power-raking the yard. :v:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Ahahahaha, I would buy a Jeep, but I dunno, don't really like them for some undefinable reason.

..and in one swat, Sperglord alienated killed 7 in one blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Not to mention there are no Jeeps near me in my price range, save for a 2,000 one that the guy in the description literally said, "yeah the everything doesn't work"

He's honest. v:shobon:v

• Locked thread