Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sperglord Firecock posted:

he wants the second generation and not the first generation because he thinks lovely fast and the furious looks are better than the CLASSIC LINES OF THE Z31. How anyone could not like flip-up headlights is beyond me.

You are correct, the Z32 is terribly bland looking and the Z31 looks much better.

Don't do anime cramp though, at least have the decency to hide your shame. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

For the salt, I plan on getting an undercarriage wash every week, if that counts for something.

This plus the fact that you say you know nothing about gas engines or turbos and haven't spent the past two months you were searching Craigslist doing some reading up and learning yourself up on how gas engines and turbos work (seriously there's plenty of learning resources online) and are planning on winter driving a nice older car known for it's propensity to disintegrate into rust at the first hint of water makes me think that this thread will end in tragedy, the only question being whether it will end somewhere on the sockington rust scale or in the mechanical failures thread. :ohdear:

Of course either way will be good reading material :munch:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

The only issue is, again, mandatory insurance, which can result in a pretty hefty fine if I don't have insurance and I get into a crash. And if I do get insurance, that's an extra 300 for 6 months of insurance for it.

That's not a good thing.

If you already have one car insured, adding a second to the same policy is usually only a small addition to the cost, especially if the second vehicle is cheaper and less 'sporty' (i.e. in a lower risk bracket) than the primary vehicle on the policy.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SouthsideSaint posted:

It will end either in police being arriving or other worse options. The stockyards by Chinatown are a much better place to street race.

The best place to 'street race' is at the nearest track, strip, or autocross event unless you're really, really dying to lose your license and get your car impounded.

Street racing is dumb.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Dyscrasia posted:

I think that it's safer to use engine braking rather than coasting neutral. If your in neutral, you will be unable to accelerate in an emergency. It also messes of the driving dynamics of your car, weight balance shifting, that sort of think. Very important for snow driving.

You're over thinking it. What about all the tens of millions of automatic cars out there, none of which has any engine braking whatsoever? Engine braking is a tool in your toolbox, but is never required for safe operation of your vehicle. (In fact, on snow or poor traction surfaces, shifting down and engine braking too hard can cause the rear wheels to skid, much as if you'd locked up the rear tires.)

Anyways, thread continues to deliver, A+ would read again :thumbsup:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

Have you ever touched the shifter in an automatic car? They usually have settings that downshift and give you engine braking/torque converter braking.

Only if your current speed is faster than the stall speed of the torque convertor. As soon as you go below the stall speed, you lose lockup and then it no longer transmits force to the engine. And it's only relatively recently (in automotive technology) that autos with lockup on gears other than first have become common. The same lack of ability for a torque convertor to transfer torque forward from the wheels to the engine that makes true engine braking hard to achieve with an auto is also why you generally cannot push-start an auto but can push start a manual. They're generally designed to transfer torque in one direction only, from the engine to the wheels.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rscott posted:

Thread continues to live up to title

Very much so. We're even getting some classic goon-in-a-well action re: the battery cables.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Typically, aren't ricers make their cars look fast instead of actually doing performance mods?

They do do performance mods, it's just that they're always 100% chinesium mods of dubious reliability and efficacy. Kinda like poorly converting an NA 300ZX to turbo with the cheapest eBay parts on the stock tune and injectors and replacing the stock fan with shoddily wired electric fans with no thermal switching.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Raluek posted:

Do we know this? The ECU could be chipped, right? I mean I know we can probably assume the PO is a lying shitsack for a variety of reasons, but figuring out if it has a tune seems like a good thing to do. I assume the stock ECU isn't flexible like an LS1 and so would need a physical chip mod, right?

From what I gathered from Mafoose's posts earlier, doing it right with a proper tune requires a new ECU and/or equipment that would cost more than the entirety of the rest of the aftermarket parts on it, so like him, I'm guessing chances of it being properly retuned are slim to none.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Just trying to help the guy out.

Some men just want to watch their bank account the world burn.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Larrymer posted:

He's obviously out doing something on the car since everybody is berating him constantly about it.

Right? :v:

Pretty sure he's busy trying to tunnel out of the well by digging down.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

I don't think you understand, that is quite capable of being the root cause of every electrical issue you have had or will have with the car, and is amongst the easiest car repair jobs going. You really should do it.

I really don't want to be one of the people bagging on you for stuff, but God drat.

It's worth noting that I showed my wife this page and she said "Oh, I've replaced battery cables before. It was pretty easy".

She never owned any tools in her life and has no mechanical experience beyond some high school arts and crafts poo poo (certainly far less training than pretty much anyone who has ever served in the Navy, ever). She can't even sew. Attaching new battery cables is a job that literally requires no skill whatsoever and the OP has so far proved incapable of doing it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

slidebite posted:

IIRC They were something like 80amp from the factory so there is no real need to upgrade it.

So how was the belt wrong? Just the length?

Sounds like it had this kind of belt:

when it should have had this kind of belt:

... or vice-versa

because the PO installed a different pulley from the original stock one, and the shop had blindly installed one meant for the original pulleys.

e: or not, maybe it was just the length.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Yeah, when people were saying don't winter drive a Z31 when there's salt on the road because old Zs rust like a motherfucker, that's why they were saying it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mostly because I like the act of going around corners and making them super tight rather than just going fast. I like handling more than just straight top speed. I dunno if this is true or not, but it seems to me that the vast majority of American cars have poo poo handling, and can't get around a corner to save their lives.

So you want a Miata. The newer and less beat the better.

Say it with me: Miata Is Always The Answer.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I hope Sperglord is into golden showers, because the pissing in the well is about to go from a trickle into a torrent. :munch:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Extra posted:

Results from the stock AWD class at the rallyx, first and last column are times in seconds. A bunch of japanese cars got spanked by an S10 driver because spoilers the driver is the most important part of a car not an idiotic fetish for hanzo steel folded 1000 times.

Also a Ford R2 Fiesta was 4th overall in rally of the tall pines 2014. Maybe brute statistics will somehow prove to yon sperglord or some other weeb domestic vehicles are quite capable. Though we are talking to someone who generalizes vehicles based on location of the brand.

The autocrosses here were dominated for a long time by a guy in a stock Dodge Omni GLH-S.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

AcidRonin posted:

people who forgot that we all used to know nothing about cars.

I started reading C&D and R&T around age 8 and helped do my first engine swap (moving a 16v engine from a rusted out Scirocco to a cleaner one) as a freshman in high school and my first car was a second gen Camaro I did a bunch of body and interior work on myself so I have no idea what you're talking about. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PaintVagrant posted:

So its ok to not disclose frame issues to the next guy, long as that guy is someone you don't know and isn't an AI poster. Also, its especially ok if the person you originally bought the car from didn't disclose it to you. Gotcha.

I honestly felt bad for this dude until he just started talking about loving over the next guy. Then most of AI agreed with him, which is disappointing.

Caveat emptor.

• Locked thread