Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
When it gets back from the shop you should change whatever battery cables are still in lovely shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My mom is cool as hell, she's always down to help :smug:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The battery cables are seriously not a big deal to fix - take out what you have, look at how many connections there are, what goes to what, etc. Measure the lengths and then go to the store and pick and choose the cables that will duplicate the original routing and attachments. Get the cables with lug ends (rings) that will attach to the new terminals that you'll buy with a wingnut.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Here's a project that helped me a lot: Buy a scooter or some other small driving appliance. Take out the motor (my 80cc honda motor weighed about 50lbs.) Take it apart on your kitchen table and then put it back together. You'll learn a buttload of stuff.

- How to rebuild a carburetor
- How to set valve lash
- How to find top dead center
- How to pull a flywheel
- How to remove and replace piston rings
- How to keep track of fasteners, or replace fasteners that disappeared

They're SUPER simple to work on, and you'll know most every part of the system once you're done. With the factory service manual NOTHING is impossible to do at home, and the manual is available for free online. Or you could buy a lawn mower and learn all the same stuff I guess, but I had more fun with the scooter. You could also use the scooter to go to the parts store when your turbo explodes or whatever.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Fo3 posted:

getting it painted in 2pac

I hope this means something similar to what I think it means. Can you post a photo of the paint?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I've circled a few things that make your situations different:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

West SAAB Story posted:

lollin' at (still) seriouspostin itt

Why are we here if not to help - We were all car-dumb* when we started, at least he's making forward strides at this point :shobon:

* I still am.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Buy the terminals that look like this:

and the cables that look like this:

Take the hosed cable off of your car, making sure you'll remember how it was routed and to where. Take pictures beforehand of the whole route and each connection. Buy however many cables of whichever lengths you'll need to duplicate all of the connections that are there. Clean the posts on the battery while you're at it, you can just use a tooth brush or something. It's pretty simple once you realize that all you're doing is recreating the original from store bought parts. Clean every connection that you interact with. The battery terminals attach to the posts on the battery, and the cable ends slip onto the post of the terminal. The wingnut keeps it all snug.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 15, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
And he was never heard from again :ohdear:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Paint that poo poo black and only show it at night.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Whatcha need is a car that runs pretty well. You want to be happy with the thing at least 90% of the time. When something breaks, THEN you have a project that will teach you something about auto repair. While it's running well you get to do the fun stuff, like replacing the stereo and speakers, doing fluid changes, adding that little cigarette lighter with the pot leaf that lights up, etc.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My dad bought an '84 Corvette, it was a basket case. Once he got it running pretty well and wearing a nice new shiny red paint job, he spun into a wall on a wet freeway on-ramp. With the insurance payout he bought an '85 corvette, it was also a basket case. Once he got it up to snuff, kind of, it got totaled by an old lady that didn't see it (this one was gold, harder to see apparently). I thought we'd have a pretty sweet Corvette in about 20 years if the cycle continued, but he quit after two.

Whatever you do in the future, never buy a dirt cheap corvette.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Who was the goon that went and helped him?

You're not the guy that owns a grinder AND a welder, are you :ohdear:?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Realistically how hard WOULD it be to make an adequate repair to that portion of frame? Cut out the rusty frame rail, weld in some square tube and then reinforce across the whole section with a piece of plate on three sides? I haven't looked at the pic since it was posted so it's probably worse than I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Money ain't poo poo.

• Locked thread