Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Anyone remember Muzzy? It was to help kids learn a foreign language or something. What I always remember from it, is this monster saying in a warbled muffled horrorvoice "Mrrumpph mrphmm... mruumphh mrpmm" and it cuts to a girl who "repeats it" (???) as "wish lee lazim bee" or well, I don't know, it's in French or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
je suis le jeune fille

EDIT: I remember Muzzy (god, that name aged poorly. When did that become a slur for Muslims or was it already one and they didn't think it through at the time?) having a very deep rumbly voice. Still coherent enough, but I'm not sure you want goofy voices involved when you're trying to teach someone, let alone a child, how to properly enunciate and speak a foreign language.

RoboChrist 9000 has a new favorite as of 09:02 on Mar 26, 2024

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Yes, that's French those children are speaking, but they're not French.

...They're American.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD9i39GENWU

Surprisingly it also has its own YouTube channel, too. That ad is absolutely embedded in my memories.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Despite looking like a cast member of the Golden Girls, I bet that woman is 35.

That pleated dress, perm, and set of pearls is certainly a look.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Thirty years ago today, the soundtrack to The Crow was released.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Thirty years ago today, the soundtrack to The Crow was released.

Hell yeah. I remember buying a Medicine album b/c of Time Baby. The album version wasn't as good as the soundtrack cut.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD9i39GENWU

Surprisingly it also has its own YouTube channel, too. That ad is absolutely embedded in my memories.

$168.48 in 1996 for two books, two audio cassettes, and four VHS tapes. $327.29 today.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Burn is the best Cure song.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And today is the twenty-fifth anniversary of the soundtrack to The Matrix. Really covers a drastic change in mass-marketed ‘alternative’ popular music in the five years between those two.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Darthemed posted:

And today is the twenty-fifth anniversary of the soundtrack to The Matrix. Really covers a drastic change in mass-marketed ‘alternative’ popular music in the five years between those two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwGuSPXPyX4

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

pumped up for school posted:

Hell yeah. I remember buying a Medicine album b/c of Time Baby. The album version wasn't as good as the soundtrack cut.

there are like four or five Time Babies. you want #3 for the Crow version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mKEcE7p7aI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ajChct6lOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViIsDDfhSnY

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://bsky.app/profile/presentcorrect.bsky.social/post/3knihzeefgn25

https://hellnet.work/8831/

Fake edit: Holy drat, there's over 50 pages of them!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

:allears: page 57 has a Lissa Explains It All button. That site was how I learned HTML back in elementary school

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The “Get Shockwave” one really takes me back…

EDIT: Heh, I randomly clicked a few pages and on page 23, saw one for a website I remember going to now and then (Gundam Plus, more of an early 00s thing).

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 15:10 on Apr 2, 2024

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

New thread tags?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SHAG NOW!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
People cared so much about Netscape vs. IE back then. A simpler time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/iylBFYX.gifv

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Netscape NO!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

dialhforhero posted:

Burn is the best Cure song.

I'd say it's 3rd best after Just like Heaven and A Forrest.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I liked Netscape because the logo was pretty and I was 7 :shobon:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like it because it looks like the world's ending

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I liked the Netscape Communicator Suite because it had all the internet stuff in one big package, with these cool collapsible toolbars and stuff. Felt very office-y and grown up.

I think I ended up leaving it for Opera, which was blazing fast at the time. I didn't want to pay for it, so I put up with the ad they placed in the toolbar.

For a bit I used MSN Explorer because of that nice, neat sense of completeness, similar to how I felt with Netscape Communicator. Sure it was designed for the elderly, but there was a time when how a piece of software felt to use was part of the fun.

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Apr 8, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
in the 90s Netscape was the scrappy underdog good guy fighting the good fight against Micro$oft

nowadays Marc Andreessen is arguably a bigger, worse dork than Bill Gates

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I can't find it now, but when I first started using Netscape (that my mom BOUGHT! On FLOPPY DISKS! From EGGHEAD SOFTWARE!), the throbber wasn't even that, it was just a blue beveled Times New Roman N.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

mf just said throbber

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

An Actual Princess posted:

mf just said throbber

:laugh: throbber :laugh:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I had a friend with those and I tried them out. I had fun on those for 5 whole minutes!

That was it…

But I still wanted a pair!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
So OJ died, you guys

https://x.com/WebDesignMuseum/status/1778800627453251742

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I brought this bad boy to a squirt gun showdown at Tim's house and quickly realized the Super Soaker arms race was already in full swing and I was severely outgunned.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You never see kids play with water guns anymore. I guess these days they use fpv drones to fly water balloons directly into each others bedrooms.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
these days i think they pretend to do armed robberies on guys at atms for youtube videos.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Animal-Mother posted:

I brought this bad boy to a squirt gun showdown at Tim's house and quickly realized the Super Soaker arms race was already in full swing and I was severely outgunned.

The classic. This is the AK-47 of Super Soakers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Animal-Mother posted:

I was always in awe of my older brother having the 100. It felt like an important signifier of the hierarchy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I had the huge double-barrel backpack that held like three fuckin gallons of water and a firehose that would shoot that poo poo real far. The problem is, I'm a kid playing with water in the summer, so I'm shirtless, getting sunburned, and those straps rendered my shoulders like fuckin hamburger. I only wore that thing a single time, and it hurt to put a shirt on for weeks.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You never see kids play with water guns anymore. I guess these days they use fpv drones to fly water balloons directly into each others bedrooms.

At least a small chunk of SuperSoaker's 1990s fortune had to be because my high school let the honors students have an all-day picnic and water gun fight at the back of the campus by the football field. You couldn't let yourself be outclassed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

My first cell phone.

Released yesterday, 26 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

credburn posted:

I had the huge double-barrel backpack that held like three fuckin gallons of water and a firehose that would shoot that poo poo real far. The problem is, I'm a kid playing with water in the summer, so I'm shirtless, getting sunburned, and those straps rendered my shoulders like fuckin hamburger. I only wore that thing a single time, and it hurt to put a shirt on for weeks.

:same: I wanted to get the Super Soaker 200 but the 300 debuted so I saved up for like two months to get it instead. Immediate regret, I wished I’d gone for the 200 all along. In retrospect, however, I think the 100 may have been the best combination of power, capacity, and compactness, the platonic ideal of aquatic warfare.