Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I miss how customizable the candybar style phones were, with whole mall kiosks selling different faceplates you could put on them, sometimes with little LEDs and stuff inside. I guess smartphone cases and/or wallpaper images have replaced this, but it doesn't feel the same.

This was early 2000s, not 90s, but the best cell phone I had was an LG Shine, which I bought because I was obsessed with Lauren Conrad and she did the commercials for it. If you had walked into an AT&T store in 2006 and said "Give me the absolute girliest device you have in this entire store" they would have brought you an LG Shine. The goddamn thing had a built-in makeup mirror. I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I loved the phones with the sliding keyboards. I hate typing on a touchscreen, even if it's more useful for non-typing poo poo

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I remember the days when there were entire services that would just text you a joke of the day or something similar for a monthly fee. Just insane to think about now, but they were so popular that there were tv ads for them.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I’ve subscribed to email lists like that when I was new to it, but it got old real quick when they were all variations of the same joke that started with “so [guy/woman] is loving [woman/guy] who isn’t [spouse] when suddenly [spouse] shows up” or whatever tired boomer humor poo poo. Yeah, haha, that old battleaxe is just the worst, ha :nallears:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

And before that, I think there were phone numbers you dialed and you'd get charged for the call to get some crappy joke.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chip McFuck posted:

I remember the days when there were entire services that would just text you a joke of the day or something similar for a monthly fee. Just insane to think about now, but they were so popular that there were tv ads for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChaCha_(search_engine)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

I had a friend who did ChaCha. It was so novel, and goofy. She'd be like, Oh! We gotta stop what we're doing. I have to answer a ChaCha.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Chip McFuck posted:

Jokes, or often ringtones. And it was usually buried in the smallprint that you weren't buying one ringtone, you were subscribing to something where they would send you five ringtones a week until every penny of your phone credit was gone.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Human-guided search was the thing for a little while, before AI/ML took over. Amazon briefly piloted a program where you could take a picture of an item and then someone would find it for you and provide a link to buy it. I used it for clothes I saw on TV sometimes.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I just Asked Jeeves.

Cleuseau Remos
Apr 13, 2024

dialhforhero posted:

I just Asked Jeeves.

What did he say about the y2k bug?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

“Invest in beanie babies”

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Unperson_47 posted:

And before that, I think there were phone numbers you dialed and you'd get charged for the call to get some crappy joke.

When I was little I remember a local mall having these fiberglass oak trees in the middle of the promenade with small child sized payphones sticking out of them. You could put in 50cents and pick up the receiver to get told a fairy tale.

During Christmas they dress up the facade and you could use them to call Santa.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Unperson_47 posted:

Our newspaper was always running ads for a dial-an-insult number. Never quite understood what the point was meant to be.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I remember calling a number on MLK day and listening to a recording of the "I Have a Dream" speech.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://archive.org/details/cdrom-ultimate-shareware-games-1

I think one of these was where i first played crystal caves

https://www.playdosgames.com/play/crystal-caves

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If you were a fan of the 90s X-men show, its definitely worth watching X-men 97 on D+.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was not, but suggestion noted

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

twistedmentat posted:

If you were a fan of the 90s X-men show, its definitely worth watching X-men 97 on D+.

Is this a new show or what? I keep seeing people talking about it and I figured people were just memeing on the 90s show for some reason.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I was, not least of which is because it had an amazing intro song.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Heath posted:

Is this a new show or what? I keep seeing people talking about it and I figured people were just memeing on the 90s show for some reason.

Its pretty much a direct continuation of the 90s series. They even got a decent amount of the VA back, though with some changes, with some being dead and the actor for Jubilee stepping aside so they could get a Chinese person to do her voice.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

dialhforhero posted:

I was, not least of which is because it had an amazing intro song.

The best part of the last Dr Strange movie was the hearing the theme song sting during a certain character reveal.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Early 2k as well, but I remember paying a non-zero amount of money for ringtones (I think I ultimately escaped that era only paying for three ringtones: a Super Mario Bros themed one, Aerith's Theme back when video game music was novel outside of specifically video game contexts, and Threshold from Scott Pilgrim.)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^^^ did you or any other goons ever say for "achmed" as your ringtone??

Back to something that I'm pretty sure was very early 90s, but possibly late 80s, did anyone here ever have any Barnyard Commandos? Or Food Fighters?

E: or Army Ants?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

wesleywillis posted:

Back to something that I'm pretty sure was very early 90s, but possibly late 80s, did anyone here ever have any Barnyard Commandos? Or Food Fighters?

Barnyard Commandos and Food Fighters are things I've only experienced through Robot Chicken skits.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
God, I was just looking for the commercial for the toys and had no idea there was a cartoon for that too.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

wesleywillis posted:

I was born in 87. One of my earlier memories is winning a raffle at a mom and pop video rental store that had tons of stuffed animals hanging off of fishing line or placed around the top shelves throughout the whole store.

I got to pick one, and I picked a sheep from Barnyard Commandos. He had green arms, a red bandana, white wool, and a weird toothy grin.

Near as I can guess this might have been 1990 or 91. I cannot remember if my little brother was around for this.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Did anyone else do that Blockbuster NBA Jam competition like I did?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4maoo4A3x4

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I know that song entirely from the Pure Moods CD commercials.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/6EhPi86.mp4

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Aeon Flux?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yes, such a weird fun show for its era.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I want cool teeth like that, but I guess I would also play with it all day

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I remember watching that as a kid even then being like, ":wtf: this is on TV?"

There was this block of programming on MTV called Liquid Television that was full of weird poo poo. I remember a show about a dude with a giant head that an alien lived in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wait til you see the external context of that kiss.

it's happening between open windows on two high-speed trains travelling in parallel.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chip McFuck posted:

In Norway it provided alibi for a suspect in a murder case. On the night of the murder she received a joke on her phone and the cops were able to determine that she (or her phone at least) wasn't on the place where the murders took place.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

deoju posted:

I remember watching that as a kid even then being like, ":wtf: this is on TV?"

There was this block of programming on MTV called Liquid Television that was full of weird poo poo. I remember a show about a dude with a giant head that an alien lived in.

They did a new attempt at LTV in 2013, not sure how it holds up (I've seen it around but haven't watched it).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had the Super Soaker 2000 and that sunofabitch kicked like a mule a max pressure.

You only got like 3 shots but they struck fear across the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Neito posted:

They did a new attempt at LTV in 2013, not sure how it holds up (I've seen it around but haven't watched it).

I will always remember:
“gahghhh! It’s a pair of human eyes!” From that shows intro iirc