Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I feel like the 90s died at different points in different areas.
Like in terms of film, the 90s died in 1999 with the Matrix. In terms of aesthetics, they died in October 2001 with the release of the iPod and the replacement of the 90s aesthetic of loud excess with sleek and subtle minimalism.
Socially and politically the 90s died unequivocally on September 11, 2001, yeah, but in terms of other aspects of culture and cultural sensibilities, some parts died before, others after.

EDIT: The iPod also meaning the death of the walkman and heralding the gradual death of physical, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Winty posted:

I'm feeling Awesome! Nothing bad will ever happen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MznHdJReoeo
Changing the world through SOFTWARE. Building new paradigms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruLtzaD235k
Your future begins... Now.

Wasn't Castles in the Sky 2002ish? I definitely remember hearing it all the time on the radio ride home from high school and that was post-9/11.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The only time I recall people mentioning that after the 90s was when they first showed off Quicksilver in X-Men: Days of Future Past and people pointed out how much his design resembled Kid Vid.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I feel like Beavis and Butthead is kind of the most edgy show ever made, even if Family Guy and poo poo are more overtly transgressive with rape jokes and poo poo.

Like Family Guy can't help but soapbox. South Park of course became a soap box quite quickly. But there's really no moral or moralizing to Beavis and Butthead besides, at best, a general condemnation that society is broken; but no causes or solutions are suggested.
It's just two ugly and stupid idiots unleashed in an ugly and stupid world, doing ugly and stupid things and seldom if ever facing meaningful consequences for it. It's pure nihilism in a way that really nothing in the world of animation I can think of before or since has been.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't know why but I just remembered all the trippy 3D and hand-drawn folder and trapper keeper art from the 90s.
I'm having a lot of trouble google-fuing them up. Are these lost like tears in rain?

They owned so hard.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

gently caress yeah. The best.
I remember having lots of folders with like weird alien art in that drawn style, and of course abstract ray-traced 3D poo poo.
I really need to dig through my father's attic sometime because I think I might have some of that poo poo still, maybe.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Happy Landfill posted:

Relevant to the recent graphic design discussion, someone on Reddit posted this graphic about the different eras of graphic design from 1980's to today. Interesting to see that each era's aesthetic doesn't really get solidified until at least three or four years in to the decade, which could be why we keep joking that the 90's lasted until at east 2002. The graphic is really big so I'll just post a link to the thread topic

https://www.reddit.com/r/Design/comments/13yg4wn/eras_of_aestheticsgraphic_design/

I feel like the 90s ended in stages.
In terms of aesthetics, it ended in October 2001 when the iPod came out and the sleek minimalism replaced the 90s vibe.
In terms of politics and general culture/society, it obviously ended on September 11, 2001.
In terms of music, not so sure. I was a late bloomer in terms of musical interest so I'm sure someone else could say more than me.
In terms of fashion... yeah. lol. I'm a goon, take a guess how my fashion sense is.
In terms of film, 1999. The Matrix ended the 90s.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

uber_stoat posted:

i'm waiting for translucent plastic shells to have their big comeback.

That and the surreal early 3D stuff like on trapper keepers and poo poo are unironically the aesthetic things I miss most from the 90s and unironically enjoy. They're both so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
je suis le jeune fille

EDIT: I remember Muzzy (god, that name aged poorly. When did that become a slur for Muslims or was it already one and they didn't think it through at the time?) having a very deep rumbly voice. Still coherent enough, but I'm not sure you want goofy voices involved when you're trying to teach someone, let alone a child, how to properly enunciate and speak a foreign language.

RoboChrist 9000 has a new favorite as of 09:02 on Mar 26, 2024