Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not that it matters, but this will make, what, a third Beavis and Butthead continuity?

Original series + movie.
Reboot series circa 2011
New series where they are old (well, like middle-aged, the age they would be if they aged in real time since their debut), set in modern times. Sort of a continuation of the first series.
This series, which is still I guess the continuity from the first one, but "alternate" because of a black hole, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Out of all those drinks back then (especially loving Fruitopia), Snapple Rain was the least cloying, so this doesn’t bode well for the rest.

drat, I had no idea they brought them back, either, though looks like:
https://www.snapple.com/products/filter/elements

Bring back Meteor, you cowards! :argh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

D34THROW posted:

Thanks for getting the loving Enzyte whistle stuck in my head :thurman:

Wasn't Enzyte more an early 2000's thing?

And a few years ago I heard that same whistling tune in some other advert, can't remember what it was for, but got flashbacks to that creepy grin.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

I think there was also a thing where some of the showings were filmed late in the afternoon but everyone was brought in early in the morning, and (maybe by design) sufficient catering wasn't really provided for the kids so they were just exhausted and hungry by the time they had to put that fucker together

The other issue is that many of the kids on the show had never seen the show.
The first season was likely filmed all in the span of a couple weeks, a few shows a day, taking kids from people doing the Nickelodeon Studio tour or whatever. To them, this was a brand new show, it's not like they were filming one a day/week, putting it on the air, then doing another one the next day/week.

Sure, they could kind of see the kids who went before them put one together...but with how the stage might have been laid out, who know if they even had a good angle or were close enough to even see anything at all.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DMorbid posted:

Dark Forces owns, you're probably thinking of Rebel Assault or something. Maybe Shadows of the Empire?

Shadows of the Empire is ok, but that's coming from an N64 kid who didn't have a PC suitable for "modern" games in the mid 90s, so maybe the PC port is bad? .

I did eventually play the Rebel Assault games, and that is probably what you're thinking. They just on-rails/cover shooters (and "flying" that is also just on-rails) with fancy FMV cut scenes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

the main protagonist of the Rebels cartoon (basically the sequel to Clone Wars, but extra for kids) is named Ezra

Pfft, I know a bunch of dudes better than him.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I remember as a kid in thought Boku was for ADULTS ONLY, like it contained alcohol or something.

I also appreciated that a box of Boku is sitting on a table in the TVA Headquarters in an episode of Loki. Makes sense that they'd be able to get discontinued (or not yet made) food and drinks.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Dewgy posted:

If that’s your reference level for “sucked rear end” I really need to watch the new B&B, drat.

Yeah, I'm sorry, Beavis and Butt-Head Do America was a masterpiece of 90s animation. What's this goon thinking saying it was bad?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Remember the pencils that were a series of just tips on a tube, and when it went too dull, you'll pull it out, and then slide it back into the top of the pencil to "load" the next tip?

Looks like they still sell them:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm a righty, but I guess my pen/pencil grip is incorrect, because I still smudge my ink. I have a sort of...overhand "death grip", for lack of a better word? I curl my hand sort of "up and over" the pen rather than just come in straight from underneath.

So what happens is that my hand will drag across the row above it when I'm writing. And since I write fast, the ink often doesn't have time to dry before my stupid grip rubs all over it and it smudges. Not as bad as a lefty typically smudges, but still annoying. Thankfully, with how little anyone writes by ahnd anymore, it's not really a problem. I also have sort of forced myself to just write a little slower

But in school, no amount of those triangle things, or other "grip assist" covers for pens/pencils fixed it. My handwriting was poor as a kid, but even after forcing me to use those things for months in more than one grade in elementary school, and my handwriting, if anything, getting WORSE, pretty much every teacher gave up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I guess whenever I first started learning to hold a pencil or crayon, my parents/teachers never took a hard enough look (until it was too late), so I continued to hold it like a freakin' toddler my whole life.

The times I've tried to hold it the "right" way, it's slightly uncomfortable, but mostly I just can't get a good grip on it? It feels too "loose", I need all those fingers.

But I also have kind of crummy finger dexterity in general, so maybe that's all related? :iiam:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Did you know that people who work in kindergartens are quietly judging how you grip your pencil? Because we do.

Well you'll be happy to know I at least hold my cutlery the proper way, and not, like...prison-style.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Phanatic posted:

And don't even get me started on Pudding Pops. It's an indictment of modern society that those aren't available.

What about Jell-O 1-2-3?!

My girlfriend just finished a full series X-Files re-watch, and for the first time I saw the "reboot" season from a couple years ago, and there's a joke about Scully's family only ever having an "in-universe" knock-off called "Goop-O A-B-C" but it made me remember Jell-O 1-2-3 and wonder why, of all the random old products that get brought back from time to time...it's never been that?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

sock it to me! posted:

For the people reminiscing about old school weather channel, check out RetroWeatherChannel on twitch. It just streams old weather channel all day, music included. Don't miss local on the 8's!

Is there a similar one for just old recordings of The Preview Channel? (Yes, Preview Channel, before it got changed to the far inferior TV Guide Channel.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The 80s ones were at least made out of glass.

Do yourself a favor and don't look into what elements were typically in the paint...

lead and cadmium

e:f,b.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

IIRC lead was used in all kinds of glass making for reasons that have nothing to do with paint. I've had to throw out a bunch of hand-me-down drinking glasses that had lead in them for no easily discernible reason.

It's my understanding (I could be wrong) that lead INSIDE the glass, i.e. added to it during the creation, isn't really that terrible unless you keep liquid in it a long time, like a decanter you put some fancy whisky in, or something. The low amount of contact time a beverage would have inside the glass isn't really going to leech lead into it. Like...I guess don't have your main drinking glasses have lead in them, but you want to break out the fancy leaded-crystal wine glasses on NYE? Go for it.

But lead (and other heavy metals) in paint? Yeah that's much worse.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, Aron Flux was cool and trippy...and it gave us Beavis and Butthead... And I can't remember anything else from it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

even in the photo the machine doesnt stock fruitopia

And the picture shows a 20oz plastic bottle, but seeing as the price is only $0.50, it's almost certainly just cans.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

No, I don't have Paramount+. Maybe I'll cancel Netflix and get it? I saw some clips and that one episode/half episode they released for free on Youtube where a sentient dumpster fire calls to Beavis and tries to get him to clean up the alley way and go for a run.

I haven't even seen the first B+B reboot series from...15ish(?) years ago where they watched clips of MTV Reality shows like Jersey Shore.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Man, I HATED Eureka's castle. In fact, all of Nick, Jr.

By the time Nick, Jr. started (I guess like 89) I was already too old for it. It was definitely for like 3-6 year-olds at most, even that might be pushing it.

I get that Nick, Jr. would air during the day when older kids were at school (hence the cut-off really being like 5, since by then you're in kindergarten) but what really made me mad as a kid, is that EVEN IN SUMMER it was airing in the middle of the day!

gently caress you, Nickelodeon! You know all kids are on summer break, so put the fuckin Looney Tunes on during the day, God-damnit! In the summer, before I was old enough to really watch ant MTV or Comedy Central, the hours of noon to three during summers felt FOREVER. At least in the mornings I had poo poo like The Price is Right (why we all loved that as ten year-olds, I don't know), Supermarket Sweep (again...why I loved it, idk) and other game shows... but then once noon hit, the broadcast networks all switched to soap operas. I was too young to really enjoy the vast majority of any other cable channels, and there was only so much Nintendo I could take. Nickelodeon SHOULD have been my refuge, but that God-drat fuckin' Face screwed me every time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Did you, at any point, consider going outside?

All the time, but there's also only so much "outside" you can take in the summer as a young kid. Too old to like the real "kiddy" stuff, but too young to be allowed to go 100% on my own outside my yard.

If my older brother or sister didn't want to go anywhere? Neither was I.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ETyDp3JuU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Visited Niagara Falls this past week, saw a trio of people waking abreast wearing the following shirts:

“There’s no power like the power of prayer”
Three-wolf moon
An authentic NO FEAR t-shirt.

I don’t think this was done with any irony at all.

All they were missing was a Big Dog T-shirt.

I guess they couldn't run with them...had to stay on the porch. :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Busket Posket posted:

My dad’s favorite purveyor of novelty shirts in the 90s, and my source for random terrible “pranks” like “gum that tastes bad” or “soap that’s not soap”

My dad got the "Funny Side Up" catalog, which was the same crap:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Porfiriato posted:

I remember wanting an L-shaped/corner computer desk in that era with a keyboard tray that did not force you to put the monitor/keyboard on a diagonal in the corner like that. It was almost impossible to find. People loved that awkward configuration back in the day.

Sort of design by necessity. With CRT monitors, you HAD to have a keyboard tray or a much larger (getting to back wise) desk
Making it a corner desk further fulfilled that since the very back of the corner wasn't getting used anyway, so might as well stuff as much as the CRT as you can.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

That's so bizarre. There's a restaurant near where I grew up called Fire and Ice, but it's a sort-of-almost fancy place. Like...eclectic, I guess is the word I want? But it's like "Pretend it's the 1930's" themed, not "have a seizure looking at the walls" themed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2nTz4ZpM7I&t=58s

(From the 2000's, but is about the above referenced video.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Trabant posted:

How do you post that and not say "it stunk!" smh

It was a Duketastophe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

https://bsky.app/profile/presentcorrect.bsky.social/post/3knihzeefgn25

https://hellnet.work/8831/

Fake edit: Holy drat, there's over 50 pages of them!