Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

CelticPredator posted:

Since Toys R Us is going down soon, they should let people run through there with a cart for five minutes and go to town.

I always wanted to do that. I always wished there was one kid who made a b line for the action figures and just grabbed the whole isle. But they wanted bikes and video games. Pfff.

Nah, they're going to use one of those awful liquidation companies that mark everything up to full price, and then tag everything like it's a fire sale, slowly bringing down prices over a month until the sadness hanging over the store is so palpable it permanently and invisibly stains anything you might have bought for 5% less than its President's Day sale price would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Inzombiac posted:

To this day I don't understant why people liked Fruitopia.

It was like drinking pure syrup.
Wasn’t it marketed as a new age zen drink for the Lilith Faire set?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Inzombiac posted:

No but it was marketed as a healthy alternative to soda.

Which it wasnt, of course.

Ah. Maybe that was the impression I got by the tagline "for the mind, body, and planet." Guess that sounds like a health drink, but I always had the impression it was meant to convey some sort of oneness with the universe. Now, we have Vitamin Water, which only has 31 grams of sugar per bottle, and is dressed to look like prescription medicine.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Also I think target. I’m just seeing bold red lines, gray businessy gridwork and sans serif no nonsense signage in my head right now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Inzombiac posted:

There was a retrotech exhibit in Moscow a little while ago. I was looking through the gallery and I saw my very first laptop.

The trackball was used with your thumb and the mouse buttons were on top of the lid. Just another archaic design that was fun but deserved to die.

My brother had a Compaq like that too. I think I played one of the King's Quest games on it. I liked it as a space-saving solution, but in 2021 I feel shoulder pain just looking at it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I can't imagine someone "never having been" to Subway before.

I absolutely can imagine someone "never ever" going to Subway again.

(True story, I ate at Subway 3 times a week for a month about a decade ago and will never eat there again. I didn't have a bad experience, it's just not good food, and it starts to add up somehow.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I feel like some of that stuff was an outgrowth of executive desk toys from the 80's.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was so bored at my 90's job I would defrag my floppies, and Windows 95 was dumb enough to do it. It was satisfying.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ah, genre discussions

One thing I like about being an old is not caring about which part of the record store my music was stocked.

I do sorta miss the sound and feel of slapping back used CDs on the racks while treasure hunting. $7 instead of $16.99 for a whole entire album! I sure hope the two songs I heard on my local station are representative of the whole thing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Apple now has a commercial where the iPad hipster child says “what’s a computer?”

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There’s plenty of military flavored sf TV so you have to savor the truly weird and bad where you can get it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Maybe everyone has a name that screams '90's' to them. Mine is 'Tyler,' even though I grew up not knowing a single one, but it's from a song by the Toadies.

"Brick Johnson," to reply to whatever was going on upthread.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The lead singer there was in an early episode of Highlander, the TV series

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Unperson_47 posted:

I can't look at the pod racer onscreen as anything but 2 human legs, splayed out, joined by a chain at the ankles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAEv897dle8&t=71s

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ugh, I've had Take A Picture by Filter in my head last couple days

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

hatelull posted:

I think Jesse Camp (winner of the first "Wanna Be A VJ" thing) actually beats out Kennedy in terms of obnoxious presentation.

Didn't he get a music video and disappear after less than a year, then the normie runner up guy was on MTV for a decade or something

Also I think you're right, but Kennedy sucks more. I feel like you could give Jesse some weed and attention and he'd fade into the background, but Kennedy would be up at 5am and still talking very opinionatedly about things she doesn't know anything about.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah why did they get a super hot chick to destroy a kitchen. It was hot.

"Any questions?"

"...um, yeah, could you do that again?"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Unperson_47 posted:

I never could stand Saved by the Bell. A Different World, however, was great. :hmmyes:

Anything with Sinbad in it belongs in this thread.

:same:
The characters of Saved by the Bell always struck me as the worst people.

Also you just reminded me of Jasmine Guy's music career.

And that Lark Voorhees of Saved by the Bell was/is a Jehovah's Witness, developed a mental illness, and wrote an unhinged quasi-religious book: https://www.amazon.com/True-Light-T...&s=books&sr=1-1

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This Wendy's nearish to me in Clermont, FL kept the sunroom even though the rest of the building was modernized to the current brand standards.

My local Wendy's was still a good place to eat until their COVID-interrupted remodel (sunroom intact). It looks exactly like the above.

Then they finished the remodel, reopened, and for some reason the food isn't good anymore. Everything's in smaller portions and all dried out, and of course the prices are higher. The 90s didn't end all at once, and another portion of that decade died that day.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Neito posted:

I like to imagine that you two are standing next to each other, posting in the same thread, enjoying some Baconator fries.

I actually have a friend who lives in Clermont, and I was talking to him yesterday how it would be cool if we could just go to our local identical Wendy's and through some dimensional chicanery both meet up for lunch.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

_

Only registered members can see post attachments!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Naked Man Punch posted:

Including O Canada, which introduced so many people to "Log Driver's Waltz" and "Blackfly" (among a bunch of other really good shorts).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkWGeM-p4jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI1pWkHto0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1S5pAF1YYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f389hIxZAOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxmCO_L_CC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXKUcsvhQc

I kinda wish Cartoon Network had a 300 hour or so block of its old programming hidden somewhere on the web, when it had very little original programming, and virtually no anime. It was like this flea market of random and often terrible cartoons.

I love The Big Snit more than words can say.

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Aug 26, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Animal-Mother posted:

Wait a minute. So this rear end in a top hat wasn't in the Zima commercials? :psyduck:

mandy patinkin I'm pretty sure

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I had this one, and I miss it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Years ago on the forums there was a very brief rush to play the multiplayer game of this, Madballs in Babo Invasion.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alaois posted:

drat its weird how people prefer the dominant aesthetic from a bygone era, one they aren't currently immersed in and encountering every day

familiarity breeds contempt

What irritates me most about UI designs is the lack of ability to change anything other than wallpaper these days.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I only ever heard the one mazzy star song, featured in the fistfight scene in Starship Troopers. But yeah it was a sad song.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Unperson_47 posted:

I can still taste the plastic that those cups were made of.

Pretty sure that microscopic particles of 90's collector cups are going to be in my bloodstream until death.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At least Mad TV had those animated Spy vs. Spy bits.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Unperson_47 posted:

It's also available on archive.org if anyone is interested.

Hell yeah.

I want to encourage anyone who finds things they love on archive.org, to personally archive them themselves. Archive.org is too good to last in these evil times.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I had a Radio Shack one in the 80's. Great fun, except sometimes I'd make this 100-step thing and it wouldn't work, and boy howdy would I be mad. It was used and it's possible some random component was bad, or more likely some of the wires were broken inside their insulation.

But overall? Dang fun. I liked the projects that made lots of noises.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

A lot of the fashion I'm seeing in these could still be worn today, even in the first video, which is more than a quarter century old.

Aside from the clear popularity of these malls, there isn't much different from my last trip to my local mall... which was before COVID, so who knows what a wreck that place must be by now.

Biggest nostalgia shot came from the receipt printer screeching in the third video.

Last note: that girl in the weird outfit in video one screams "Gramma made me this outfit and the second I get it off my body I'm never wearing it again."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

root beer posted:

This is just a hoity and/or toity shopping mall in an affluent part of town, built 10-15 years before the upper middle class started to prefer those open-air malls anchored by, idk, Crate & Barrels and Apple stores instead of the usual Macy’s or Dillard’s

"There it is, the world's largest cubic zirconium. What an eyesore."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

dialhforhero posted:

I mean…she looks hot to me. :shrug:

I bet if she were a more average looking person those clothes would look more dated.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wish Timex would bring back the turn-n-pull, but I have a feeling it would be ridiculously overpriced. I wore one for years, a terribly unfashionable device with a plastic crystal that got all scratched up, but it was pretty useful to use to set short-run timers, you just turn the outer bezel a certain number of minutes or hours ahead and pull the pusher out, and you're good. It's quicker than setting a timer on a digital watch, where you're pushing two or three pushers a number of times, or unlocking a phone and tapping in a time on a virtual keypad.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rub a monkey's tummy!

Rub a monkey's tummy with your head!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Neito posted:

One of my weird 90s internet memories was...
Browsing the 5th Element movie website at work and saving some of the cool JPEGs to a floppy disk to take home.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I liked the Netscape Communicator Suite because it had all the internet stuff in one big package, with these cool collapsible toolbars and stuff. Felt very office-y and grown up.

I think I ended up leaving it for Opera, which was blazing fast at the time. I didn't want to pay for it, so I put up with the ad they placed in the toolbar.

For a bit I used MSN Explorer because of that nice, neat sense of completeness, similar to how I felt with Netscape Communicator. Sure it was designed for the elderly, but there was a time when how a piece of software felt to use was part of the fun.

doctorfrog has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

those buttons had this buttery soft finish, and you could feel the gloss on the button labels