Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Too soon. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There were was a toyline back in the mid-late 90s that I had a poo poo load of the toys for but can't remember the name of.

It involved cards with weapons on them and there was a statue of liberty playset that was the good guys base? I think it came with a helicopter?

Len has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Apr 5, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

tacodaemon posted:

Sounds like Hot Wheels Road Wars.

That is exactly it. Thank you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

gently caress yeah this game owned.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pure moods is on Spotify if anyone is curious

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Doesn't that poo poo still exist?

There's one still at the local Target endcap by me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My grandparents went into a nursing home finally and while we were trying to put a dent in their poo poo I found about two dozen packs of Decision 92 trading cards.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was little, I was absolutely sure that the twister Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton are chasing was meant to be the same one that killed Hunt's character's father in the prologue, back after 30 years to finish the job.

Makes more sense than what I thought was going on, I thought they were doing experiments to find out where tornados go when they disappear.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You Are A Elf posted:

I remember watching this upon it original airing in 1991 and some parts still make me feel uneasy re-watching it, no matter how loving corny and laughable I find it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M8E3VAtquY&hd=1

The '80s lived on in 1991.

I remember watching that show because i tried telling the kids at school about a haunted Toys R Us and got made fun of because "ive never seen a ghost at Toys R Us" :smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My Twitter Account posted:

FUUUUUUUUUCK I REMEMBER THESE and they occasionally get stuck in my head still too.

"Buttafuoco Song" was a semi-parody of "Ebeneezer Goode" by the Shamen; "Salameh Song" was a semi-parody of "Genius of Love" by Tom Tom Club.

https://youtu.be/UewpCmm8Vrc

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

To this day I don't understant why people liked Fruitopia.

It was like drinking pure syrup.

Because I had so many buy one get one free caps

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Stexils posted:

The average laffy taffy is 7cm? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Ithink that's inches :911:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have a co-worker who is 36 or 37 who refuses to use a debit card. Everything she does is cash or check. No online bill paying or even looking at them. She was trying to buy concert tickets for her boyfriend as a birthday gift and was having a helluva time with it because there's no Ticketmasters near us.

Currently she's worrying about how all her bills will come in and be due the week she's on vacation next month because online bill paying is just the most insane thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I had an RZone :getin:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I haven't been in a few years but it's long been a staple of Gencon/Origins that there's a booth just selling old dead card games. Somewhere at my dad's house I have a loving shitload of .hack//enemy cards that I got for like $3 a booster box and the logic was "hey I like .hack why not"

Also a bunch of Spy Craft.

WoW TCG.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We had two preconstructed decks of Wyvern that either my dad never learned how to play or didn't bother to really teach me the rules but we would sit down and play and I remember it being good fun.

He even let me add in the two random rear end MTG cards we got from a comic book and come up with rules for them. Good times

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

twistedmentat posted:

The Switch is already a success, and if they can keep production up and keep putting out games people want (though I laugh at the idea that there are people who wanted to play Skyrim and Dark Souls but only buy nintendo consoles so they haven't) it will probably be the second best console of this generation after the Ps4. I know something that hurt me with Nintendo is that after the SNES their advertising very clearly focused on kids. teens and people in their 20s are not going to be enticed by Pokemon and Animal Crossing, no matter how good they are, when Sony is showing off Symphony of the Night, Tekken and Final Fantasy VII.

I dunno. I know a lot of 20 somethings that bought a 3ds as soon as the pokemon of that generation came out. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I would legit buy a Blu-ray of cartoon all stars to the rescue

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

FOr some reason I was reminded that Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, and The Toxic Avenger both had children's cartoons.

To this day I've never seen an Attack of the Killer Tomatoes movie but I have memories of the cartoon

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pneub posted:

You could see stuff like Robocop and Hellraiser with the boobs and the words poo poo and gently caress blanked out, but with all of the gore intact. It was good enough to feel like you were getting away with something.

Good old USA where boobs are evil and corrupting but watching a man get his hand graphically blown off is perfectly acceptable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

Shine is the most 90's song, it was everywhere, and I'm pretty sure any movie or TV show that takes place in the 90's only needs to play part of it to set the scene.

I had this game. They actually made more videos for it, because it's really a one and done type thing. All in all video board games were a cool idea IMHO, but they really needed something like DVD where things could get shuffled.

We had the sequel Atmosphere: The Harbingers and despite never knowing how to play that game was the poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shifty Nipples posted:

Was that in the movie because it seems familiar?

Yes both because I remember it and because the picture of the vinyl says it's music from the movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pneub posted:

Is saying Nirvana's Man Who Sold the World is better than Bowie's still usually treated like a hate crime, now that he's been dead a couple years?

I've never heard it but I'm not a fan of Nirvana. I say yes but I'm going to go listen to it now to confirm.

Edit: okay that was pretty solid and not awful at all

Double edit: MY OPINION MATTERS

:goonsay:

Len has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Jun 20, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captainsalami posted:

I had the r2d2 one growing up. It was great.

I had Yoda and a rancor and a mummy. I also had a second generation digimon at one point

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neito posted:

There'sa store in the mall near me that sells those, over by the incense and the porciline dragons, across the store from the swords.

Man your mall needs to be more efficient. We have the incense, swords, dragons, and "glass pipes" all in the same store.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

twistedmentat posted:

Glass Pipes *

*for tobacco use only* (Hahahahahah)

Talking about smoking in the 80s thread reminded me that there was an uptick of smoking in movies and tv, it became shorthand to "this character is cooooool and sophisticated". I remember watching Mullholland Falls (not the Lynch one, the one with Nick Nolte) and that movie is just smoke smoke smoke smoke smoke constantly.

But then you saw less and less smoking IRL. Like it was when I first remember seeing restuants that just didn't have smoking sections, but straight up banned it.

*Any reference to drugs and you will be asked to leave the store

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

pseudosavior posted:

I loved that play when I was in high school, and saw it again fairly recently, and I couldn't even begin to feel the slightest bit sympathetic for a bunch of junkie "artists" who got a huge apartment in NYC for pennies on the dollar because their friend owned the building, and then still didn't want to get real jobs and pay their bills because heroin.

Seriously, gently caress like 90% of the characters in Rent.

I took my fiancee to see it last year for the 25th anniversary tour and it was the first time I'd seen it and that was how I felt.

drat near every main character is an unlikable person and I just wanted to know why they wouldn't go get jobs to at least try and pay the rent.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I remember in the 90s for Christmas one year I got all the first series of Spawn figures plus the Spawn Alley playset. They were opened and played with because I was a kid and that's what you do with toys.

The other adults my parents knew gave them the "You just ruined his college fund" speech.

And on the reverse side of the coin my fiancees mom would buy her and her sisters things and go "and now this is going in storage so you can sell it for a lot of money later"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There was something not sure if it was 90s or early 00s though. It was like a Digimon only you scanned barcodes in stores and then raised the pet from there

Edit: Skannerz and 2000

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mr.Radar posted:

This was posted in the PYF Obsolete and Failed Technology thread but I think it belong here more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJSjrox_2s

I don't even want to know how many hours of my life I lost having to sit through that commercial in the mid 90s.

Because of course someone made a Spotify playlist https://open.spotify.com/user/tgette/playlist/2aU1p7LBEes0wjviIoY7GU?si=ZeA9gQHzQW6T4Mz8vr4PRA

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I mean there's the View and Ellen, but there seemed to nothing but them in the 90s during the day. Thank god for Nintendo for when you're sick, because otherwise you'd be stuck watching people who had never heard of plug movies you'd never seen or really depressing and horrible stories about people being rescued from cults and such.

I had to watch soaps at my grandparents house.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

eminkey2003 posted:

Did anyone else play My Heart Will Go On on recorder in Elementary School?

No because My Heart Will Go On came out the year we learned how to play the hell instrument.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We didn't get the little colored balls. Our stuffed prize was some sort of hedgehog looking thing and if you sold enough you got like a mommy one that had little baby ones?

My parents always threw those away which got me bitched at by my teachers for not selling anything

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I was at the dollar store today and they had Theodore Rex on DVD. I now own the buddy cop dinosaur movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pastry of the Year posted:

You think the Theodore Rex fandom would settle for anything less than razor-sharp images, crystal-clear stereo sound, chapter select, and animated menus?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

And I'm aware the DVD is more of a 00s thing but I would love to know what drugs inspired "she's a cop, he's a trex, they fight crime"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We're getting a Dave & Busters put in 10 minutes up the road from me and sure it's an arcade which is rad but neither of the ones I've been to have anything resembling a fighting game. Lots of shooting games and racing games but no Street Fighter cabinets anywhere.

I'm going to enjoy Power Hour though because I want to play all the shooty games but I don't actually want to dumb tokens in them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They were Mac games so it wasn't like they had to compete with anything else for cool box designs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

jojoinnit posted:

I'm still sore that Apple decided I can't play my remastered iOS Monkey Island games post ios10. I was so close to finishing for the first time since I was 9...

They made that decision for you and you'll like it. It's like a wish list of apps. You didn't need that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want a clicky clacky mother fucker like that for work but I'm not willing to pay what Amazon wants for a cheap rear end mechanical keyboard.