Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Note: they did ban slap bracelets.

I think the funniest part (to the teachers) was the fact in my school, eventual slap bracelet policies came after the fact most kids who owned slap bracelets in my grade school bought them from the school in the first place along with their holographic pencils.

Thanks for the lunch money spent on cheap knickknacks, kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Hey, remember 90s cartoons about DINOSAURS? Running around shooting people? Those were pretty Xtreme right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVvtasDCXsw

Wait 90s what are you doing, that's not Xtreme at all.

God help me why do I remember this silly thing

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was also one on Cartoon Network called Dink, the Little Dinosaur, which is one of the cartoons I saw when I was very young, forgot about completely for about 15 years, then rediscovered via the Internet.

See also: Fish Police; The Pirates of Dark Water; The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest; Chris Colorado.

There was another one, though the name escapes me, where the only thing I remember was the opening theme, which had the main characters (a team of scientists) with a flying (?) island base who ride these flying discs through the air; I'm pretty sure their cat had an "and starring" credit or something. A likely holdover from the 1980s, I imagine. :shrug:

Would that be Sky Surfer Strike Force? I'm just pulling half remembered 90's names out of my rear end here.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

The series finale was still the most :stare: thing I've seen. Certainly one effective way to impress the importance of environmentalism on kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYiLJlzh6Oc

gently caress you for bringing that up :qq:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

California, obviously :rolleyes:

EDIT: I hope Reggie comes out with a Wiimote attached to a glove.

Section Z has a new favorite as of 20:28 on May 15, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

madpanda posted:

I went looking for Army Ants and found this

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31875/12-toys-1980s-didnt-take

I didn't even remember till i saw them but i def had the insect dudes (the material they used for skin was really rubbery and wierd, not normal gi joe type plastic), that snake dude from super naturals , the rock lords, gently caress how did i forget those, and barnyard commandos.

Oh Christ, I remember the Barnyard commandos pilot because I had it recorded on the same tape that had the Battletoads cartoon pilot.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pick posted:

Not only are Zoobooks still around, they keep them updated and they are incredibly informative. I sincerely recommend them to anyone with children.

e: Or if you don't know much about animals, buy it for yourself. If you don't know the number of species of porpoises in the world, you can learn.

The random frivolous zoobooks fact that stuck with me from as a kid was "Jaguars don't roar".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

He does, get permission even though he's covered under Fair Use; this comes up in his Behind the Music episode. Coolio was asked about Amish Paradise, and he said that he though it was too serious of a song to make light of with a parody, so one of the producers flat-out lied and told Weird Al it was OK. The opposite happened a couple of years ago over Perform This Way, which Lady Gaga's manager made him actually record before telling Weird Al that she had said no. He put it on Youtube since he wasn't including it on the album and was surprised when Lady Gaga herself contacted him to let him know that she loved the song and approved of it being on the album. https://alyankovic.wordpress.com/the-gaga-saga/

'90s things: knowing this much about Weird Al.

I've always liked those details. That sort of thing is probably part of why most people remember him at least somewhat fondly instead of "Ugh, that parody rear end in a top hat".

My useless trivia bit I remember from a special (had that bit about coolio, so probably the same one) was how he got the idea for "Like a Surgeon" from Madona saying "I bet Weird Al makes 'Like a Surgeon'".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

WeX Majors posted:

So I see some people aren't familiar with one of my favorite shows on Nickelodeon. Let's fix that.

Oh and just for fun, have some Legends Of The Hidden Temple and some Wild And Crazy Kids.

I always felt bad for the Wild and Crazy Kids contestants.

Wild and Crazy kids mostly took place out in an empty grass field. Or maybe a lake.

Meanwhile all the other kids on gameshows had actual gameshow props. So you just know they felt like they got the cheap summer camp to the Disney land of the other shows.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My first FPS that wasn't a shareware copy of Wolfenstein or Blake Stone, was Curse Of The Catacombs (Which I now know was a rerelease of "Catacomb Armageddon").

Now, GOG has a release of all those games, but it doesn't have the most 90s childhood memory part of the game. See, The rerelease was done by a company called Frogman or Legendary Frog or something. In the original release/GOG Release, to the far left of the HUD is the game title and the Softdisk tradmark.

But for me?

I basically had Not Diggum The Frog as my wingman as I fought rabbits that turned into rabbit monsters :frog:

I also remember being so thankful that the little text bar at the top of th HUD gave hints around destructible tapestries and walls, which was like, holy poo poo.

Section Z has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Jan 2, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

sinking belle posted:

The lack of any 7up branding on this cover is weirdly interesting to me

I like cool spot. All of the sunglasses, sneakers, and mickey mouse gloves of a 90's Icon. None of the forced catch phrases.

Oh right, I think earlier in the thread somebody mentioned DNL (Though I saw that in the 200Os so yeah). They had special display stands to put it upside down, so customers could go "Ooooh, it's 7up, upside down :downs:"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Plavski posted:

Think of all the decisions that had to be made to get that thing into production. At every step, when someone asked "is a cartoon about a graphic horror film really appropriate for kids?" they were told "yes, yes it is."

Did it ever get leaked?

Well, the Toxic Avenger got it's own cartoon :pseudo:

Though they never got the Kabuki Man cartoon picked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6WGpiH7Sgw

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

My hazy memory is telling me the hardest part of this game was how breaking barrels and destructible walls hurt you :downs:

Props to them letting you chump an early boss by rolling pas them, then shoving a barrel fire under it though. Haha.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Damnit Conan, this is like the 16th time you've found something that could cure your family of turned into loving statues syndrome, but you let someone else have it for their problems. You'll never see these people again, gently caress em. No it's cool just learn to be a ninja next episode and then forget everything about being a ninja after that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Crow Jane posted:

See also: Captain Planet. The message was nice, but even as a little kid I knew that show sucked.
My constant logical break with Captain planet was not using magical rings to summon a green mullet to punch radioactive men wearing Hawaiian shirts.

My hang up was "Hey, you have solar power SO GOOD you can run a flying submarine with it. Maybe that would help more than yelling at the nuclear power plant staff."

EDIT: I eventually started to wish for an antagonist who ran a natural disaster relief organization. "If I kill captain planet, there will be no more earthquakes!" "Sir, I don't think that's how it works-" "NO MORE EARTHQUAKES!"

And my insane mental tangents turn to Thunderbirds "International Rescue." My god, what would supermarionation Captain Planet look like?

Section Z has a new favorite as of 22:03 on May 7, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, Fu Man-Hitler!

His hatred is so powerful and intense that it's effectively pollution, so he's able to weaken Captain Planet by staring him down.

You just reminded me that one time, Captain planet was weakened by "Noise pollution" because cities are too loud :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's not even just his vulnerability to the things he has to fight (which is a bit like if every single Superman villain was powered by Kryptonite, come to think of it) - there's at least one episode where he's incapacitated by crude oil, even though it's a natural and unprocessed material, which you wouldn't think would hurt him. I suppose it was contemporaneous with the Gulf War, so oil gets to be like the token evil naturally-occurring substance. :v:

(Also, I think that's the most quoted post I've ever done. :D)

Oh good, I'm not the only one who stopped to think about that.

GWBBQ posted:

I loved it, but I was also a gullible kid who didn't question any of the bullshit they told us in the D.A.R.E. program so I wasn't the best judge of quality.

I remember having Captain Planet action figures. Thanks to the miracle of '90s technology, Captain Planet could be splashed with hot water and show splotches of pollution damage. The only other one I remember is the woman with the disfigured face, her hair rotated from how she normally wore it on the show to off to the side, revealing the scars.

The Wheeler figure shot sparks out an open hole in his chest. For Kids! I remember this because I was a huge killjoy as a child and pointed out "Hey, maybe my pal's 3 year old sister shouldn't be playing with a faulty lighter."

I'm all for spring loader rocket launchers, and tiny toy catapults with plastic boulders, which all parents lived in absolute terror of. But some things are just very :psyduck: in hindsight for what got a saftey pass for kid's products. Both for getting made in the first place, and parents not picking up on "Fire hazards are worse than sticky dinosaurs that might stain the wallpaper"

Section Z has a new favorite as of 21:39 on May 8, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

My favorite part of this is the cartoon hats they are wearing.

"How will the kids know you are wrappers without backwards hats!"
"Because we're... actual wrap artists?"
"...But how will the kids know-"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RCarr posted:

I'm going to believe you think it's spelled "wrappers" because it makes me smile.

Shrapnig posted:

Wrappers.

Looks like it turns out to be me. I'm the one they needed to draw backwards hats onto them for :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So it's the 90s. Everybody still loves the Ninja Turtles, but XTREME is the new hip thing with the kids these days,

"How do we cash in on this?"
"…Dinosaurs!"
"Yes, but it needs more than that."
"Five of them! That's one more than the turtles have!"
"Yes, good. But is it XTREME enough?"
"We'll give them guns! Gun they won't miss with, they will actually shoot criminals! And they'll in a band!"
"This can't possibly fail."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA4o6WhJO-A

"I feel we took a wrong turn somewhere."

If the powerbook was so good, it would have told bike messenger that is clearly a skateboard :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"I want my scooter to look like a trapper keeper" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Randaconda posted:

Man, the Puppet Master movies owned. Even when they did a face turn in one of the sequels and fought Nazis
Man why the gently caress isn't this a THING more often with how much people love to shove Zombies, Nazis, and Zombie Nazis into everything?

You've seen him in "the hood", you've seen him in SPACE! Now see him at his best. Leprechaun vs Nazis.