Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

DrBouvenstein posted:

Pfft, we didn't' go for such lowbrow crap here in America.

We wore these high class items:

In 1994, my girlfriend was asked to leave Six Flags and change because she was wearing the Volleyball version of that ("On The Floor is Where We Score!").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Toward the end of the Beanie Baby craze, about once a month there'd be an ad in the Sunday paper for one of the local hotels hosting a WE BUY BEANIE BABIES! event. My wife had a handful of the fairly sought-after ones that she bought for the original retail price so we figured we'd unload them for a small profit or at least to get a few bucks for something she didn't want anymore.

There was a family behind us in line that had a tote filled with a bunch of them. By then, the value of the things was nowhere near what they were about a year prior (I had a co-worker whose wife wanted the Princess Di one so bad he paid like $350 for it). You can probably imagine the reaction of these people when they were told their collection was worth a fraction of what they paid for it. 0 to super pissed in about a second and a half.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Mmm... invisible cola...

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/crystal-pepsi-return-response-online-campaign-article-1.2251877

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Of course Napster happened around that time as well. It turns out that yeah piracy did damage album sales but the other side of it was that people wanted to know if the albums sucked or not before buying and, quite frequently, they did. Other times they'd download the one single because seriously, gently caress paying $20 for two songs. The record industry blamed Napster for dwindling album sales but really it was their own damned fault.

Van Halen 3 is a perfect example of this. TERRIBLE album that I bought based on my fanboyism of everything that preceded it, but if I could have listened to the standard 30 second preview tracks, it would not be sitting on my CD rack.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

Or Co-ed Naked

Shirts more popular in your neck of the woods? Though I have to admit, the Big Johnson shirts have a lot more effort put into them than I remember.

Sometime around 1994 my then-girlfriend was made to leave Six Flags and change her shirt for wearing a Coed Naked Volleyball shirt into the park.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Neito posted:

Pepsi points reminds me of that guy who tried to redeem something like several million Lean Cuisine Frequent Flyer miles and had to sue to get them.

I got enough Pepsi points for the leather jacket. Still have it.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

ICHIBAHN posted:

Any good nostalgia documentaries out there, for the 90s and 2000s? Seen the decades series, loved it, are there any more? Thanks.

Are these the ones that CNN aired? If not - I highly recommend them. Tom Hanks was an executive producer on them and they're fantastic. Started with the 60s and the 00s aired a few weeks ago.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Keith Atherton posted:

We had Pizza Inn, Shakey’s and Pizza Hut when I was a kid.

Pizza Inn and Shakey’s had a jukebox and Shakey’s had arcade machines. Sambo’s closed down and a Godfather’s moved in to their building

We had a Shakey's when I was kid. Loved those battered potatoes they called "Mojoes". The building where it was is a lovely biker bar now.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think it was even GNR and Nirvana; I think it was just Axl and Kurt.

From the viewpoint of this article, it was all of Nirvana vs. Axl and Duff.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guns-n-roses-vs-nirvana-a-beef-history-166180/

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Iron Crowned posted:

We don't talk about It's Pat for a reason.

I listen to Hair Nation a lot on SiriusXM and the version of Ugly Kid Joe's "Everything About You" they always play is the one with Pat talking over the intro...

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

You had besides Big Dog, there's also Chip and Pepper, Big Johnson and Co-ed Naked whatever that were all popular t shirt brands in the 90s. That the Tshits we had before people just starting mashing up Rick and Morty and Steven Universe with everything.

Circa 1994 my then-girlfriend was asked to leave Six Flags and change because she had a Coed Naked Volleyball ("On the floor is where you score!") t-shirt on.

When I started dating my wife in '97, one of her criteria for whether or not someone was boyfriend material was if they owned any Big Johnson gear.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

DicktheCat posted:

I had a thought the other day: fuzz busters. Those are super 90s. I knew a ton of people that had them. My mom had one, probably because she liked to speed.

Were they outlawed? I don't know anyone that has one anymore.

I still use one. Haven't gotten a speeding ticket in my own vehicle since 1997.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

Phish - Gin and Juice.mp3 was probably the apex of the mislabeled

Eddie Van Halen - Top Gun Anthem.mp3

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Ambitious Spider posted:

Warriors was a documentary right?

Just read an article about how well the movie captured NYC's grit during that time period:

https://medium.com/s/cineplex-79/hollywoods-greatest-year-remembering-when-the-warriors-came-out-to-play-2c770709225

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Aerosmith's career rebirth can be at least somewhat, if not largely, attributed to signing with Geffen Records and getting a lot of guidance from A&R man John Kalodner. He took them from selling 500K copies of Done with Mirrors to 5M with Permanent Vacation.

He's also the guy who convinced David Coverdale to fire everyone in Whitesnake and hire a bunch of known hair band guys so they'd be MTV darlings. Again, they went from selling 2M albums with Slide it In to 8M with Whitesnake (1987).

He knew what would sell. I've read a few recent articles/interviews and a lot of the artists he guided are more critical of his heavy-handed manner. He made many of them rich, though.

WescottF1 has a new favorite as of 20:53 on May 13, 2019

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Quote is not Edit

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Thermos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SKMRExoVQ

This song will be forever entwined with the 90s for me. I had no idea who even sang it until recently. It occupies the same space in my brain as Blues Traveller and Barenaked Ladies.

I really like this other one of theirs - good twist at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0UZWywmavk

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Nutsngum posted:

Every decade seems to be like this though. If you go and watch Todd in the shadow's worst songs of XXXX year they are inevitably half full of wretched songs that no one has remembered since they first charted.

I just got turned onto Todd in the Shadows a couple of weeks ago by fellow goon Woodch. I haven't started the worst songs lists, but his one hit wonder episodes are great. Looking forward to diving in the rest.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

I keep meaning to start a pyf one hit wonder thread based on those vids. Also trainwrecks is a great series.

I've only listened to the Van Halen 3 episode of that one so far. Good stuff.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Shrapnig posted:

That and Co-Ed Naked Sport/Activity shirts. Even as a kid those shirts seemed lame to me.

My girlfriend at the time was made to leave Six Flags Great America and go to the car to put something else on because she was wearing a Co-Ed Naked Volleyball "On the Floor is Where You Score!" shirt. Guessing 1994 or so.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

FilthyImp posted:

Speaking of car stuff, anyone remember the motorized antennas? Or sticking magnets with antennae on them for car phones?

When we first got married, my wife had a 1994 Cutlass that had one of those on the rear right quarter panel.

One day she was leaving for work and as she was backing out of the garage, the door spontaneously decided to come down. She put it back in drive and quickly tried to get back in the garage. The antenna caught on the door and got snapped off.

If memory serves, the part alone was $280 to replace it. Fortunately installation was super easy so I did that part myself.

I hated that loving car.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

twistedmentat posted:

Because the switchover happened in the 90s, i'll ask in this thread, when did you switch from tapes to cds? I was buying tapes pretty late into the decade I remember, as up until at least 97 i only had a cassette player stereo. I had to check when my stereo was first released and it was 1997 so that's the earliest i had my own CD player. And I remember Xmas 2000 was when I bought a discman on boxing day.

I feel pretty late to adopt Cds.

I used my Christmas/paper route money to buy my first CD player in late 1986.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Randaconda posted:

Media Play was a good store back in the day

My hometown (Rockford, IL) had the first one. Loved that store.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
One of Michael Moore's movies has a scene where he's doing an in-store at the Rockford Media Play and a couple friends of mine had a brief cameo.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This one is a 2000 model year, but this was THE poo poo YOU WANTED if you were a teenager getting your license in 1999 in the US.

Peak boy-racer

I had a 2000 I bought new and kept for eight years. The blue looked especially cool at dusk. Miss that car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Iron Crowned posted:

in the mid 00's I had a Dodge Neon. Terrible car, but it was fun to drive, and I miss it.

I live a county over from the plant where they were built and for a time they were everywhere around here but it's a rarity to see one these days. I had two different girlfriends in the 90s who had dads that worked at the plant. Both drove Neons. One had the Sport Coupe model with the DOHC engine and it was reasonably quick and fun to drive but I'm glad I didn't let her dad talk me into buying one (I went with a 1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R instead).