Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I think we danced to this about six times at one birthday party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8AyVhs3gJU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

I don't care when this site was actually updated, this is extremely fuckin' 90s.

http://www.bigjohnson.com/animain.html

I don't know what was more disturbing - that 10-year-olds were wearing Big Johnson shirts at school or that the school didn't ban them. This was very early 1990s, so it could possibly be that they were too naive about any potential meaning. Intelligence was never our forte.

Note: they did ban slap bracelets.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A short history of popular music at schools RC and Moon Pie attended:

No birthday party was complete without this being played at least three times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FPimCmbX8

Is anyone familiar with clogging? I have this horrible mental image from when I saw a group clog to Tootsee Roll about a year after it stopped being popular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs7f3ssuEjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DpRcxK_N8

After that came that Macarena and that stayed for at least two years.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Celery Face posted:

My class was forced to dance to this song in grade 2 for an assembly. I recently discovered that it wasn't something from Nickelodeon. It actually charted and played on the radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0p3jn7ODuc

Edit: Jesus christ, that album went triple platinum. Thank god I'm not old enough to remember that year.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than the 5th grade having to dance to Hangin' Tough for a school assembly. It might have even been a medley with Right Stuff included. Judging by the copyright on the video, it was a couple of years after it was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By86PcLufOU

(Thankfully, I was not in 5th grade.)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Turns out that this is technically late 1980s, but I probably saw it in the early 1990s on Nickelodeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9f04Dctz4

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

No Rain has been stuck in my head for three days. Yeah, that's a '90s video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVPNONdF58

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

sinking belle posted:

Anyone remember that thing Nickelodeon did when they broadcast a bunch of episodes of their shows in 3D and gave away glasses in cereal boxes? I just thought about it for the first time in years and it occurred to me that it's one hell of a marketing gimmick. I have a vivid memory of begging my mother to get a box of honeycomb for the glasses because it was the least sugary looking thing that they came with. She wasn't persuaded.

I remember that Fox did a Smell-o-Vision one night.

fakeedit: apparently it was 1994

And here are some of the cards

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember one cartoon being on Cartoon Network when I was little, which I'm pretty sure was a Hanna Barbera thing from the 1970s (it had that art style) about a bunch of super scientists who lived on this floating island, and the opening credits had all of the characters shooting off on this little flying saucers. I can vividly recall their cat, who I believe was called Julius Caesar, being credited alongside them. To this day, nobody's ever recognised the description, so I've resigned myself to the likelihood that I imagined the whole thing.

One thing I did watch was Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm, where Sub-Zero got to snarl all these hilariously stupid "badass" quips like, "Nothing burns hotter than ICE!"

My favourite character was Jax.

It sounds like a Hanna-Barbera parody, based on their formula of crime solving friends being combined with a talking animal.

I can't get it to embed, but it was considered a bit shocking in 1994 when an MTV forum asked a question to Bill Clinton that had been making the rounds at that time: boxers or briefs?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Aggh, I can't find my old trapper keeper with the same ease you guys do.

However, I did get a flashback of the 90s era "designer" series of patterns, which I had several folders of, which looked like sorta abstract "Beyond The Mind's Eye" type cgi shapes, almost looking like a crooked landscape usually.

I can't find mine, either. It had to be designer series as well with blue and either pink/purple/silver jagged lines on it.

Trying to find it, I did find something that was popular for all of about 10 seconds.

There's a locker on your back ...

... when The Wiz is your pack.

I really wanted one that year, but couldn't find one in stores.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

So were Big Johnson

Shirts more popular in your neck of the woods? Though I have to admit, the Big Johnson shirts have a lot more effort put into them than I remember.

Doing an image search, I remember slightly better puns from Big Johnson. I remember kids wearing those to school, but we might have been a little sheltered around here.

Big Dogs was immensely popular for a year or two, as was Explorations, with the wildlife pictures on them. Explorations was for the more moneyed girls, combined with Guess Jeans. Mossimo and Tommy Hilfiger were for the moneyed boys.

No Fear was where it was at.

There was a knock-off called Fear Nothing. Big Johnson had a knock-off called Big Richard.

Dixie Outfitters was starting to become popular by the end of the decade. The district ended up banning those because of the Rebel flag. The district has no problem, however, with the school being nicknamed Rebels.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I swear every high school assembly that featured an outside speaker featured Republica's "Ready to Go."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgffRW1fKDk

And every other high school assembly had C'mon N' Ride It.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DpRcxK_N8

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Frankston posted:

That Dinosaurs tv show came out in 91 so I'd guess they were somewhat popular before JP came out.

I remember me and my brother being quite into dinosaurs before we saw JP at the cinema too, we'd collect magazines and stuff. Hell, we had dino wallpaper.

The Land Before Time and Denver the Last Dinosaur also came at the end of the '80s.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Neito posted:

I think it was just the era; that show ended right before off-network syndication became a viable way for shows to make extra money, so I think it ended up doing a couple of circuits of Lifetime and TNT and ended up in the DVD bargain bin.

FXX had it a few years ago. I stumbled upon one episode out of boredom one day. It wasn't that bad.

Iron Crowned posted:

In the 80's and first half of the 90's I remember cable as a luxury. I was stuck with an antenna in the house until 1994 when we got cable for what my mom described as "a good deal." Getting TV over the air back then was different, I remember watching shows like The Addam's Family, Giligan's Island, and The Brady Bunch all the time when I was off from school. Saturday and Sunday afternoons there was usually a decent movie on (I saw John Carpenter's The Thing so many times). It's definitely a far cry now where it's mostly infomercials from 10 am until 3 pm.

I think what happened is that in 1994, DirecTV went live and gave your cable providers a run for their money as now they all had competition that didn't require buying a massive dish. Which in turn made it much more lucrative for syndication to go to stations that were not OTA. I remember stations like TBS advertising hours of shows (I think Mad About You was one) every morning and evening. Hell, in the early 2000's I would watch Law and Order episodes all night on TNT (or was it A&E?).

I currently use only an antenna for my TV viewing, so I get all those wonderful little sub-channels where I can watch all those old shows, as far as I know it's the only way I can watch Night Court, Roseanne, or The Drew Carey Show. Hell, Buzzer is a fun one where I can catch an episode of Family Feud from 1980.

Mini-satellite dishes were rumored for a few years. That's the reason I was stuck with four channels for a few years in not just the rural south, but BFE rural south. Dad didn't want a honking big dish in his yard and it wasn't until Jan/Feb 1995 that we got a Primestar.

During that era, Fox had the afternoon kids block, which lasted from 3-5. There was so much that aired during a 10-year period - Super Mario Brothers Super Show, Bonkers, The Tick, Tiny Toon Adventures, DuckTales (I think), Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, Eek, Animaniacs and Batman The Animated Series.

TBS used to be a different animal in the 1980s. I was going through some old tapes and found a variety of nature documentaries with the TBS logo in the corner.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You Are A Elf posted:

The brain and memory are a strange thing, indeed, and so was Kidd Video.

Kidd Video aired in 1984-85. My elementary school had one episode that we saw the first half of repeatedly.

So here's a 1990s music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0wfu3tOrtQ

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Caught a glimpse of an old music video with a guy with this style of haircut. Every other boy in middle school had this haircut.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Somebody played Tootsee Roll at an event I was at tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs7f3ssuEjA

It was everywhere for a time, to the point it was a routine for some area cloggers.

For you non-southerners, clogging is the whitest thing to ever white.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Speaking of 1990s things that have to do with dicks......

Anyone remember a John Wayne Bobbit themed parody of the song 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, entitled 50 Ways To Cleave Your Wiener?

No, but I do remember one to the tune of The Tokens' The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This came up at work today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010KyIQjkTk

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I sold the vast majority of my baseball card collection - probably about 15,000-20,000 cards - for $30 a couple of years ago. The dealer was being generous. I didn't want to put the cards in the dumpster. I know no one is interested in a pile of Rance Mulliniks and Rafael Ramirez cards but I couldn't stand to just throw them away. The dealer keeps piles of cards like that, some of them for kids who are interested in the novelty of baseball cards.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Scene from Shattered Glass with some prime early/mid 1990s internet, covering webpage appearance, setup (AOL) and theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDd_F43ZU8c

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

Homicide was like, prestige TV before that was actually a thing. A cop show where stuff wasn't necessarily all wrapped up in 44 minutes? Distinct cinematography and editing? Montages set to popular music? drat.

Prestige TV was a thing by the time PBS began airing Masterpiece Theatre in 1971 and even before PBS with the importing of The Forsyte Saga.

Preceding Homicide in American prestige cop TV was Hill Street Blues, which took cues from British shows that were brought over years earlier on PBS.

American television had a hard time shedding its cheap box for idiots label for a long time. The Emmys, for example, ate up the British shows brought over the American shows that seemed to be respected the most during the 1970s were mini-series. CBS tried - and spent a ton of money - to create its own prestige show in 1975, Beacon Hill, but failed miserably.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

What show can we nail down as the real start of "prestige television"? Im betting its probably the Sopranos that really began the trend properly.

Possibly The Forsyte Saga, as I mentioned above, which aired on BBC2 in 1967 and was later imported to America.

Prestige TV in the 1970s - British and American - was usually miniseries: Roots, Rich Man Poor Man, I Claudius in the former decade and Thorn Bids, North and South, War and Remembrance, Brideshead Revisited in the latter.

For actual full-tilt television series, Norman Lear's socially conscious series could probably fit in that category, too. M*A*S*H, whose ending I think still has the highest TV share in history, became that. Anything attached to England's John Hawkesworth was snapped up immediately in the UK and America following Upstairs, Downstairs (very much prestige in both lands). Beacon Hill on CBS tried to be prestige. Hill Street Blues.

The Twin Peaks era had Picket Fences and Northern Exposure, among others. ER just after.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Coincidentally, the macarena is the most personality Al Gore ever showed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Monopoly TV game show only ran for 2.5 months in 1990, but I've never forgotten the theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3OEqUpGHSQ

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vanagoon posted:

God, the devil, and Bob, was aired in 2000 sometime, but it was most certainly a product of the 90s.

edit: Duckman was the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSLOseqoK24

I couldn't help but pick up a box set of the first two seasons when I saw it at Dollar General not long ago. It was the right combination of gross and edgy for the 1990s and on rewatch, surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

While watching all these commercials for opulent Christmas presents, I have suddenly gotten nostalgic.

For the Salad Shooter, which used to air every Christmas season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvL-I3Dfeqc

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

90s where a hayday of shirts like that. Anyone who ever went to east coast Canada in the 90s went away with at least one Cows Ice Cream tshirt.

You had besides Big Dog, there's also Chip and Pepper, Big Johnson and Co-ed Naked whatever that were all popular t shirt brands in the 90s. That the Tshits we had before people just starting mashing up Rick and Morty and Steven Universe with everything.

Big Johnson had a trashier cousin in Big Richard, which occasionally popped up at school. My district never did ban those things.

During middle school, girls had to have at least one Explorations shirts (wildlife-centered) and both genders absolutely needed No Fear shirts to even attempt to be cool. That's also the age when the Big Johnson shirts were popular.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

When I owned my first car - a Ford Contour - I was gifted an in-car CD changer. It was trunk-mounted and held 10 cds. When I wrecked the car a few years later, I opted not to try to salvage the CD changer.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

The Critic is still pretty well-remembered, I think. The real deep-dive of adult animated sitcoms of the 90's would be...

I watched Duckman reruns on late night USA. When I saw a box set of the first two seasons for $4, I couldn't help myself.

What I've rewatched ... it isn't that bad. I'm sure there is cringey stuff, but Duckman himself was never presented as an upstanding individual.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

That was a weird think in the 90s, I am pretty sure Quake 1 was the first game I remember having that. Though was using the CD for the sound better than having sound files?

If we ever make an early 2000s thread, my first complaint will be soundpacks in online games. Yes I need to hear "I think my heart just stopped" every time I die in TF.

It was at about that same time that an AOL trial CD doubled as a MAD Magazine music CD. I am assuming this came with an issue of the magazine (I was a MAD subscriber) and not just sent out unsolicited. I still have it somewhere. Tracks I remember are "It's a Gas," "Barely Alive" and Green Jelly's "Blind Date."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

For me the big relationship/breakup song of the 90s was Breakfast at Tiffany's by Deep Blue Something.

Deana Carter's Strawberry Wine and LeAnn Rimes' Blue here.

I may be from the deep south.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The_Franz posted:

My school preemptively banned these and the Co-Ed Naked <whatever> shirts before anyone could even show up in one.

I don't know if my rural southern school system was naive or just didn't care because they didn't ban them. Big Johnson and Coed Naked were popular 5th and 6th grade years. The edgy T-shirt trend then turned to No Fear. Or, because middle school was so cliquish, its much less regarded (but borderline acceptable) knock-off, which I think was Fear Nothing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know if this was just a thing near me or if it was nationwide, but back in my highschool days baseball caps of the University of South Carolina's Gamecocks were popular because they were literally just bright maroon caps that said "COCKS" across the front. And yeah, they eventually got banned because no teacher's going to buy a bunch of kids in the midwest showing support for a college team thousands of miles away.

Being from Georgia, it was easier for the kids to get away with wearing their COCKS hats at school, not that any of them could name a single South Carolina player. Since it was the south in the 1990s, all of the hats were worn with a fishhook on the brim.

I'm now remembering one of the edgy contests the boys had in school. Y'all have heard of the penis game, right? The one where kids dare one another to say penis as loudly and clearly as possible? This was the same, only it was "shut up, bitch." I don't think anyone got in trouble over it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

double post

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Sep 18, 2019

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Worst Beach Boys song ever.

Someone has never heard the MIU Album.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Gateway was everywhere in the 90s, ads being constantly shown on TV with the cows and stuff. I always wondered what happened to them, figured they were just victoms of changing market places, but NOPE they were shady as fuuuuuuuuck.

My first laptop was a Gateway. No doubt that the cows were a selling point.

The hard drive died on it within a few months, but their customer service was nice and put in a new one for free. I fried so many modems on it. If lightning struck within seemingly 100 miles of it when it was plugged it, it blew. Finally started buying cheap external ones at Walmart. Lightning fried them, too. It also had a weird glitch that if you put the thing on battery power for more than a minute or two, it'd freeze up. You had to take the battery out or let the power run out on the computer to start over to use it again.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

Todd in the Shadows's one hit wonderland basically narrows it down to "Bands that are known for just one song" which helps remove well known bands that never charted well but had long critically acclaimed and successful careers. He even says himself though that its flawed with bands that barely break into the US but were massive overseas or in their home countries.

Its strange as an Australian being exposed to a lot of popular british music that you find out just never went anywhere in America. Or discovering that what you thought were well known hit songs from years ago were actually always local bands that never went anywhere in other countries.

T. Rex is a good example.

Only three T. Rex songs charted in America, Get It On peaking at #10. In the UK? 11 straight singles in the top 10. Bolan wanted the U.S. market badly, but never got it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

My childhood...

:negative:

My podunk hometown got a Pizza Hut around 1988, which instantly became the nicest restaurant in town. Book It was so awesome for a kid like me in elementary school. I don't remember them doing toys that much, but do remember some sort of rubber Land Before Time tie-in.

mostlygray posted:

Playing "Lean on Me" on the jukebox non-stop.

Fond memories.

Blame It on the Rain here.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vanagoon posted:

There's still a Pizza Hut like that in Henderson, TN (next to a Piggly Wiggly too)

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.433...!7i13312!8i6656

The one in east Athens GA got turned into an adult store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

big trivia FAIL posted:

drive thru sushi could be a pretty good idea

Where I live has one ... in an old Long John Silver's.