Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So you hate ska? Is that the impression that I get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mind the walrus posted:

Mid-late 2000s? That poo poo was happening as early as 1998.
Even earlier than that. I remember jokes about it in one of the Simpson retrospective episodes hosted by Troy McClure.

Edit: Got it, Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular from 95.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Dec 3, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

We Know Catheters posted:

They also had ones that turned into robots.

The ones pictured are the ones that turn into robots, the hot cakes was just a robot pterodactyl. We still have a few my mom found when putting together a children’s toy box for when the grandkids visit. My nieces love them, as well as the letters that also turn into robots.

Apparently you can still buy them https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G...efWL&ref=plSrch

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

chitoryu12 posted:

Unironically, "Kiss From a Rose" is one of the best songs ever.

I spent the summer that song came out working in a camp kitchen. It was a magical summer of listening to the same songs on repeat on the local radio for 13-14 hours a day in a 90 degree kitchen.

I Swear
Counting Blue Cars
Roll to Me
Found Out About You
Kissed by a Rose
Because the Night
Bump’n’Grind
Come to My Window
I’ll Remember
Linger
And one random Ace of Bass song

Just on constant loop for two months straight. I can’t think about anything that happened to me that summer without feeling like I’m watching a goddamn Cameron Crowe movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dixville posted:

It was The Sign.

I mean, I wasn't there or anything but... it was.

That song was loving everywhere and I loved it

No, I meant the only variation was which Ace of Bass song it was. Either The Sign, All that She Wants or Don’t Turn Around.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
On the further 90s music topic, my senior class accidentally voted Good Riddance as the official class song because it was submitted for voting as The Time of Your Life and everyone thought it was the Dirty Dancing song.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dixville posted:

Lol I'm pretty sure they used it at some point when Seinfeld was ending, like during some clip show or something. It's up there with Fortunate Son as far as misused ironic songs go.

Yeah it was used for the Seinfeld finale clip show. It was also used in E.R. when a nurse sang the song at the funeral for a child that died of cancer. Someone at NBC either really loved the song or NBC owned the record company Green Day was signed to.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
All of those suggestions are good(except Hackers) but they all(except Hackers) have a disqualifying defect. No rave scene, you can't be a quintessential 90s movie without a rave scene. Now Blade, Blade had a rave scene. And a scene where that rave was being sprayed down with blood. And the bad guy was Stephen Dorff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

big trivia FAIL posted:

Yeah that's my point, R+J was fuckin AWESOME

Edit: DO YOU BITE YOUR THUMB SIR??

Counterpoint, it sucks because they trimmed down brave Mercutio's death scene and cut out his best line.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Iron Crowned posted:

The Lakers were originally from Minnesota, you know The Land of Lakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1-QAF8gLy0

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dillbag posted:

John Popper is also a crazy prepper that was busted with 13 firearms in hidden compartments in a vehicle that was equipped with sirens, emergency lights and a fuckin P.A. system (lol) because he didn't want to be "left behind".

Dude is doing his best to behave like a real life Eric Cartman. When Blues Traveler was playing in the area a year or so ago he stayed at the hotel I worked at. After the show he went straight to his room with about 3 dozen wings. I base the count solely based on the number of stripped bones he left strewn around the hotel room. He tore the carpet up dragging the lounge chair over to the window so he could watch tv while eating and used the curtains as his napkin. The less said about the desecration the bathroom went through, the better.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know. St Elsewhere had been a very highly-acclaimed hospital drama praised for its serialised storylines, realism and accuracy (disclaimer: I don't know how realistic or accurate it actually was) a decade before ER.

Yeah, I think if you really want to track the development of ‘prestige tv’ just look into the career of Steve Bochco. The man had a string of hit series that constantly pushed the medium forward from Hill St Blues, to LA Law, to NYPD Blue. He even gave a boost to what people currently think of as ‘prestige tv’ by pushing up and coming show runners he mentored away from network tv and toward cable when networks started self censoring under pressure from family alliance groups during the Bush years.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neito posted:

I feel like more than that, even some sitcoms were breaking out of the "Status quo every episode" thing. Friends, for example, had actual long-reaching consequences and callbacks. I wouldn't say it wasn't heavily episodic, but it kinda laid the groundwork for having sitcoms with "myth arcs" and poo poo like that.

Maybe for network sitcoms but HBO has it beat by a few years with two shows;

1st and 10- a serialized sitcom from the 80s where each season was a season of football. It was pretty popular but sort of disappeared from the cultural landscape between it being hard to edit for syndication and it starring OJ.

Dream On- this was actually the first show by Kauffman and Crane and created the template they would end up using a few years later on Friends.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Horace posted:

Rather impressively, Veronica's Closet went from being #5 in 98-99 to #86 the next season. They didn't even bother airing the last few episodes.

That’s what happens when your first two seasons your sandwhiched between the biggest shows on television and the executives get the bright idea that you’re strong enough to stand on your own.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

All I remember about Suddenly Susan was Brooke Shields was some magazine journalist and that it also had Judd Nelson, Nestor Carbonell, and Kathy Griffin. Oh, and that there was a guy on there who killed himself irl so they worked that into the plot of one episode.

I think the only time this show got a second thought from anybody was the really racist as they kept airing during the summer olympics. A stunt double in a karate gi flipped around a mat and then Brooke Shields squinted her eyes, said “ah so” and bowed as a gong sounded.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

I heard a story, I think its from a Simpsons commentary, where they wanted to use an AC/DC song in an episode but they straight up were told no by either the record company or the management. But one of the people on the show knew Brian Johnson or at least someone really close to the band that got the request directly to the band, and they overrode the earlier denial.

The opposite happened to The Verve. The orchestral sample in Bittersweet Symphony was from an orchestral cover of a Rolling Stones song, so they went to Jagger and Richards for permission and got their blessing. But Jagger and Richards didn’t own the rights to their music anymore, their manager Allan Klein does. Klein is known for being both a vicious shark and a total rear end in a top hat. He sues and not only gets 50% of the song’s proceeds but 50% of album sales. And then the song blows up and Klein demands 100% of the song and 75% of the album to which the band eventually agreed to.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I thought some further story about it was that they were pretty much forced at the zero hour to agree to it because the CDs/tapes had all been produced and were waiting for delivery to the shops or were already there. The only options was destroy them all or agree to the deal. I think someone with the band had said if not for that the label might have fought harder for them.

I believe the record was already in stores when Klein came back with the 100%/75% demand, so the label could either accept or issue a recall on existing stock.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mu Zeta posted:

I knew grunge was dead when WCW had a grunge rocker parody character named Raven. His intro music was a ripoff of Nirvana's "Come As You Are" and his signature move was called evenflow like Pearl Jam's song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3vOV3Dr21E

Same but Vampire the Masquerade and Gangrel.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did it happen before a concussed Novacelik was shouting for Axel at the VMAs?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FilthyImp posted:

He's also an -- Allegedly -- rapist who preyed on not quite legal fans, from what I remember coming to light last year.

I thought it was last year too, but it turns out it was just in late June. Last report was that she told the full story and handed over any evidence to Rolling Stone and they're currently vetting the info.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Argyle posted:

Growing up in the Detroit suburbs, I also had no idea Detroit had its own style of pizza until I moved to Chicago and realized that crispy, chewy, square-pan, cheese-to-the-edge pizzas were most certainly NOT available nationwide, and were unique to southeast Michigan.

Are you sure about that? Because it sounds like you’re just describing Sicilian pizza.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

Was Andy Richter Controls the Universe around the same time too?

I remember really enjoying Working, it also had amazing promos. Too bad Working TV Promos is still way to generic a search term to find them. I do remember one had a guy who's job was to test how painful bandaids were when they were pulled off, and he kind of enjoys one of them. Working! Its like your job just funnier!

Going back to chain resturants in the 90s, when we visited the US, normally the east coast, that would be one of the treats, getting to go to Bennigans or Fudruckers, Chi-Chis , Denny's, Olive Garden, Sizzler or TGI Fridays. We didn't really have many chain restaurants in Canada at the time, it was Swiss Chalet and that was about it unless you wanted pizza or fast food.

I remember the 90s most because i was a teen then so I remember ordering from the adult menu. Also remember a Denny's in Savannah Georgia were the waitress was about the same age as me and was very openly flirting with me, which embarrassed me horribly but amused my dad to no end; "you could go back and marry her and become an American citizen. I can send you your stuff" he told me.

Thanks dad.

Working was the mid to late 90s, I remember the reviews constantly mentioning that they'd settle for the show until the Dilbert cartoon premiered that coming winter. I think it ended up getting a third season on USA? Or it might have just been syndication. Andy Richter premiered in 2001, the very same night Scrubs did. They weren't counter programmed so that was a good tv night for me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Grassy Knowles posted:

Dream On was edited and aired on Fox as well

First and Ten ran for a few years in syndication too, especially around the time of the OJ trial.

And, hell, Tales from the Crypt got their own Saturday Morning Cartoon series.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SubNat posted:

High frequency sound is one of those super annoying things to explain to people, because a lot of people just aren't aware of it at all, nor do they realize that as they age ( or get hearing damage. ) their ability to hear higher frequency stuff erodes.

And then they look at you like you're crazy because you're mentioning how a monitor or a power supply or a lovely lightbulb is screeching.

As an analyst there is nothing worse than having this and having to live with the screech a monitor makes when you’re looking at a populated excel sheet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mu Zeta posted:

Depends where you are I guess. Care break ins are incredibly common in San Francisco. Breaking a window is very easy.

There was a story a month or two back about a local San Fran news team doing a story about the rash of car break ins. While they were inside interviewing a victim the news van was broken into and they stole about $20k in broadcasting equipment.

Edit: Sure it's current events but the irony involved is 90s as gently caress.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

I think most cable channels were just random stuff in the early days. I mean, there's that Simpsons episode where the Cable Ace award goes to old Starsky and Hutch episodes.

Yeah, off the top of my head I can think of YCDTOT, David the Gnome, Maya the Bee, that weird anime Grimm Fairy tales anthology series, and a few French/Japanese animated shows being peak 80s Nickelodeon.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shrapnig posted:

Weezer sounds exactly the same as they did 20 years ago, don’t bother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab5WvwfLuLM

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I remember it tasting strongly of artificial vanilla, like C-3pO’s and a bunch of other tie in cereals of the 80s. Kind of like those funnel cake fries all the food trucks were hawking a few years ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

twistedmentat posted:

Ooh ya, that's right. Birkenstocks were also part of that.

Amos, Ani Difranco and The Indigo Girls kind of formed the triumvirate of stereotypical lesbian music taste. Amos tended to be coy about her preferences but certain things could be read into her songs and Difranco and The Indigo Girls were out and proud at a time that was a rarity, so all three tended to draw a lot of interest from people that identifies with them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Randaconda posted:

Being bi is lesbian betrayal?

Serious question, I don't know much about the scene :ohdear:

There was(and to a lesser extent still is) a belief among the hard liners of the LGBTQ community(and even elsewhere) that Bi doesn't really exist it's just people too afraid to commit or even looking inattention by fishing in a shallower pool. Mostly gatekeeping assholes that also tend to be TERFS so gently caress them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FilthyImp posted:

Bi erasure is real and I half-wonder if it's because of the poo poo in the 90s linking bicurious people to attention-seekers.

Probably, the recent months with a few actresses coming out on the heels of a marketing campaign for their new project I've even caught myself wondering about the timing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah McDonalds absolutely got blasted over how much Styrofoam the McDLT used, and a good chunk of that time was when giving a poo poo about the environment was still considered crunchy. Its used almost three times as much as any other sandwich. They still have it on the menu as a Big'N'Tasty they just don't separate the halves.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
My wife and I have had this on in the background this evening, some serious bangers in here.

https://youtu.be/-17PT-NJpF0

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was one those random associations that led there too, she mentioned she was dissapointed the corner store stopped selling little debbie's, which made me think of Camel Walk by Southern Culture on the Skids. Then that video made me want to find old tapings of 120 minutes for more of those beautiful 90s music videos.

Edit: I never noticed at the time but the performance stage is totally the same studio they filmed The Grind at.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Oct 12, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Neito posted:

Monster Party always stuck out in my mind (despite again, not having played it) simply because it was such a surreal thing. An onion ring and a fried shrimp as an enemy? The first level turns into a blood-soaked nightmare halfway through? It's straight up the kind of thing that would sound like a creepy pasta if it weren't straight-up real.

Thank you, we just wanted to dance.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are there many other notable musicians with similar educations? I know Greg Graffin is a doctor of evolutionary biology and occasionally teaches at Berkeley.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Cameo posted:

Milo from Descendents has a doctorate in molecular biology and pretty much all the albums and tours the band did from the mid-80s on up until 2016 when Milo finally went full-time with the band were done in breaks during his college, post-grad, and scientific career.

Wait, so Milo goes to College was autobiographical?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Happy Landfill posted:

Makes sense. That would probably completely ruin Nick by association. I'm not sure how a channel devoted entirely to kids entertainment comes back from harboring more than one chronic sex creep. Think I heard somewhere that they rehired another sex creep after he served time in prison for something to do with kids...some production guy, I think.

But it is more likely that nothing will ever happen

Yeesh :smith:

The pervading rumor at the time was that, since he started as a child actor himself, Schneider had receipts on a lot of people. Particularly in Redstone's media empire, which is how he got the position he was in at Nickelodeon to begin with and why Redstone had a vested interest in protecting him.

For Brittany, as much as it was played up as a crazy nervous breakdown thing, shaving her head was 100% about her being in a bitter custody battle and trying to head off a follicle drug test maneuver from Federline's lawyer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah, the internet has solved the mystery of the line "That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything"

But the "Stussy" 'S' is an enigma.

A few years ago I went to a retro speakeasy and the S was printed on the spine of a typography school book from the '20s. I had a photo but lost the phone it was on. The place is high up on my list of places to go back to if we can ever go to restaurants again so hopefully they haven't changed the decor too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ToxicToast posted:

Yeah, the only two complete ones I remember playing were FF6 and Chrono Trigger. Anyone know other games that got complete ones?

None that I know of. Theres something about FF6 though, a complete SA themed hack of FF6 is one of thr few goon projects I've ever seen make it to completion.