Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Celery Face posted:

There were a lot of CG characters in music videos in the late 90's/early 2000's.

It wasn't just the late 1990s - check out the video for "Let's Get Rocked" by Def Leppard, which is from about 1992.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nutsngum posted:

I like Oasis quite a bit and I loving hate that garbage song.

I think that's one of the ones Noel Gallagher says he hates, too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Strange some of the things that are put up on the Internet then just forgotten.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I think its less that it was forgotten, and more that it's being archived online. See the credits at the end.

Regardless, I quite enjoy that the only press releases in the "press releases" section seem to relate to the creation of the website itself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In Britain, the most memorable political satire was "Tony Blair as the Messiah" from about 1997 through to 2001. For example. Then Iraq happened, and it became "Tony B. Liar as a poodle sitting in Bush's lap". :D

Before that, Spitting Image did John Major as a literal grey man, but I don't think it was as effective. Political satire is only as strong as the personalities who are being satirised. So in the UK context, there was a lot of entertaining stuff in the Thatcher and Blair years, but it was less effective when Major, Brown and now Cameron were prime minister.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, it all ties into the End of History concept, doesn't it? Without the Soviet Union, people needed to pick out an Enemy, so they chose their government. Then, 9/11 happens, the new Enemy is Global Terrorism, and people want to be able to trust that the government isn't scheming against them, so the conspiracy theory stuff goes out of vogue for a few years.

The 1990s had Mulder and Scully; the 2000s had Jack Bauer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Indeed.

You know, it's always seemed to me like there was a preponderance of doomsday cults - which often came to sticky and self-inflicted ends - in the 1990s, both in America and elsewhere. There were groups like the Branch Davidians, the Order of the Solar Temple, Heavens Gate, Aum Shinrikyo, the Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God, and probably thousands of others who never got any headlines.

Even many of the far-right militias had shades of that to them (personally, I prefer the ones who thought that upon entering its perihelion, the Comet Hale-Bopp would summon the evil planet Nibiru from behind the sun to consume the world, to the ones who were paranod that a black helicopter was going to land in their back garden and cart you off to a FEMA death camp because they owned a rifle).

Of course such sects and societies have always existed, but there is something about their relative prominence in the 1990s that's especially striking. I guess it's an End of History thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who can forget that most nineties of alternative genres - ska punk / third-wave ska?

(Disclaimer: I like ska.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So you hate ska? Is that the impression that I get?

If you don't like it, you can always just Turn the Radio Off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

True, but that wasn't an alternative genre. You had Boyz II Men as the number-one group for a while in the middle of the decade. And Michael Jackson was incorporating new jack swing into his music when he did Dangerous.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a certain degree of affection for the swing revival stuff because the jazz orchestra I was in as a teenager played a lot of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Gordon Goodwin stuff, which came out of that era.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what it is about music specifically. People don't think twice about downloading an album off a torrent site but I don't imagine they'd be quite as quick to nick the CD off the shelf from an HMV.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that's why album sales are in the toilet nowadays unless your name is Taylor Swift or Adele - nobody wants to buy 11 songs for the two or three they'll actually listen to when they can just download them off iTunes and feel honest about paying £0.79 to do it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was watching some old (season three) episodes of The Simpsons earlier, and I was wondering, is there a clear break between "Bartmania" and Homer becoming the main character, or was it more of a gradual thing?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Mid-late 2000s? That poo poo was happening as early as 1998.

I think it's even before that. The Simpsons comes on in, what, 1989 or 1990? And Bart is a hit right out of the gate. He's front and centre on all the merchandise, he's the one provoking the moral panics about how he was a bad example, he's the voice on two Top 10 hit singles, one of which became the number-one song in America for a while ("Do the Bartman" and "Deep Deep Trouble"). Most of the episodes in the first three or four seasons seem to be centred on him as the main character.

I guess it must have been gradual as Bart became less and less edgy or shocking; you note 1998, which I think is apposite because it's the year South Park started, and they ended up doing an entire episode about how Bart is kinda passé compared to Cartman, much as the American version of Dennis the Menace was kinda passé compared to Bart. Maybe I'm misremembering and Bart and Homer were always equal, then Homer pulled ahead because he was a more versatile in the long run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's some early 1990s music: Michael Bolton with a mullet in a baseball cap singing a Bill Withers song.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never gone back to look, but I've heard you can look up old Usenet archive from the early days of the Internet and there's people complaining about how episodes like "The Front" are the worst ever. I'm pretty sure the original "worst episode ever" joke was made in reference to people complaining about how much of a downturn season five or so was quality-wise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pastry of the Year posted:

wierd al - what if god smoked canibus.mp3

e: beaten by hours, ah well

Basically every parody song has been attributed to Weird Al at some point.

Like that "Elmo's Got A Gun" one. I understand being associated with that one particularly annoys him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ambitious Spider posted:

One of my Christmas gifts was the complete Doug Dvd set. Definitely looking forward to firing it up for some 90s nostalgia

I remember going to Disneyland when I was little (I can't remember how little, though) and they still had the "Doug Live" show. That might have been in 1999 or so. I think the Doug movie had just come out, or was just about to come out. I only recently learned that Doug's voice (and Roger's voice, actually) was done by Billy West.

Though I also remember a few years ago, everybody seemed to hate Doug. I was never sure why - maybe because it was kind of bland or something? I think Hey Arnold was similar and I personally liked it better than Doug.

Recess was my favourite of that era of Disney cartoons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, it was on Nick originally. I think the move to Disney was when a lot of the character designs changed and you got stuff like Roger becoming a billionaire, Patty being more of a tomboy, that sort of thing, right?

Another childhood favourite of mine was Rugrats - before we had Sky TV and Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel and all that, the Rugrats cartoon being on Live & Kicking every Saturday and Sunday morning was practically a highlight of the weekend for me. And I've more recently learned that a ton of people really hate Rugrats as well. Granted, I haven't seen an episode of Rugrats for 10+ years so, who knows, it probably is pretty crap. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ive been reading the nick oral history book, theres a lot of stuff in there about how the old nick live-action shows were done in a way to appear more real and edgy than the perfect world of disney shows, especially with clarissa explains it all. pretty interesting, especially when i see the shows my kids are watching now.

I'm always interested in that kind of thing - do you mind me inquiring about the title?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

I seem to remember at the time MTV attempted to make another animated show, I don't remember what it was called, but it had something to do with some zombie brothers. It was really bad, and to compound it, they attempted to pad the episodes with videos like Beavis and Butthead, but since they only communicated in grunts, it consisted of them dancing and grunting over the videos. I suspect that it didn't even make a full season order.

I think that would have been The Brothers Grunt, which I have never seen and know purely for its inclusion on various "worst television of all time" lists. It was the brainchild of the guy who went on to create Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy, of all things.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

I knew I should have looked up the date but it's still pretty goddamn 90s

Here's a music video from 1992 which also uses terrifying early CGI.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's because "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was picked up by MTV and became the number-one video, and it just snowballed from there.

It's interesting because I've read these interviews that guys like Joe Elliott and Nikki Sixx did circa 1989/1990 and they're all saying hair metal is on the way out and something new is on the verge of replacing it as the biggest mainstream rock genre, but they seemed to think it would be Metallica and Anthrax breaking through and becoming mainstream stars.

For a while, just before Nirvana showed up and Metallica were number one with the Black Album, it probably looked like they were right, too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's easy to look at golden age hip-hop and overestimate how popular - at least in terms of record sales - the groups who have stood the test of time were in their day. It's a bit like Little Richard and Chuck Berry in the 1950s; big stars who were enormously successful, but the second-biggest artist of the decade after Elvis was Pat Boone.

Here's a factoid for you: much is made of how Nevermind knocked Dangerous by Michael Jackson off number one on the Billboard 200 (which was a big achievement, make no mistake) but it was there for one week, then it was itself replaced by Ropin' the Wind by Garth Brooks, which was number one for 10 weeks and became the biggest album of 1992.

Going by how many albums he sold, you could argue that Garth Brooks was the most popular recording artist of the 1990s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Mentalizer posted:

At least that's how I remember it seeming to unfold when I was growing up, I'm sure my details are probably off in some spots. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was an interesting time for music, and an awesome time if you were a rap fan in particular.

In your recollection, how did people feel about Will Smith beating Public Enemy for the first ever hip-hop Grammy Award? I know it's seen as a bit of a joke in retrospect, but I honestly don't know what people thought of Will Smith as a hip-hop artist before The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air came out.

quote:

E: Something else to remember about that time as far as judging popularity and success is that album sales weren't necessarily the sole make or break factor of an artists standing like they are today. They were a big part of it, of course, but airplay on radio and TV were a huge part of how they decided to continue developing and supporting an artist. Now if you're not making at least gold right out of the gate you're hosed, but there really was a time when bean counters weren't the guys making the call on who gets the push and who gets dropped.

I don't know - albums don't really sell like they used to unless your name is Taylor Swift or Adele. Thanks to iTunes, you can just download the one song you want rather than shelling out for the whole thing.

Billy Ray Cyrus's second album was considered a disappointment when it came out in 1994 or so because it "only" ended up selling about two million copies. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Mentalizer posted:

Oh yeah, that's actually what I meant. I probably could have been clearer, but I meant sales in general and not just album sales in particular. Albums, singles, downloads, whatever form someone can buy music, those numbers became the biggest factor in whether an artist's career lives or dies and I think the industry's suffered for it.

I suppose a lot of it is streaming nowadays, and your social media profile (I think Billboard actually has a chart which registers artists' current impact on social media). There's outliers like Adele, but it seems to me as though you can't really go away for two or three years like you once could to make your next album; you need to keep yourself out there. The only comparable example I can think of is Wayne Cochran, who became a decently popular artist in the late 1960s despite never having a national hit, because he was constantly touring and appeared on all the top talk shows like Jackie Gleason's programme.

I was recently reading this book about the development of the Chitlin' Circuit (I recommend it to anyone who's interested in such things; it's by a guy called Preston Lauterbach, who I believe is a music journalist) which talks about how in the 1920s, you didn't make money from your recordings unless you were the leader of a big-name orchestra like Duke Ellington or Cab Calloway, so you had to keep your band on the road. Then it all changed in the 1940s and 1950s, when Louis Jordan popularised small R&B groups, big bands became too expensive to keep going, and you could earn millions with your records without ever having to tour.

A time when the record industry was run by mobsters, rather than accountants. :D

I don't suppose you could recommend any good books about the development of hip-hop (whether as a music genre and a cultural phenomenon, I'm interested in both)?

whiteyfats posted:

Was the early 90s the last gasp of Adult Contemporary? Ya know, Rod Stewart (who I like :colbert:), Michael Bolton, Amy Grant...

More or less. I think it's "adult alternative" now, which I believe is stuff like Train.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's the ultimate fate of all aging alt rock stars, just like aging hair metal guys all end up going country.

One of my favourite anecdotes is about the time I was listening to BBC Radio 2 in the car one Friday afternoon when Patrick Monahan and the guy who plays guitar with them was the guest, and a caller rang in to brag about how the previous night they'd been "rocking out" to Train.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 13:43 on Jan 15, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No worries - this is the book I was talking about, by the way. Got it for Christmas, read it over the last couple of weeks. Looking forward to the one he has coming out about Beale Street.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

Speaking of hair metal and transitioning genres, it always seems funny how much of the 90s and 00s adult contemporary world has roots in hair metal. Michael Bolton is probably the only major one to stay in front of the microphone, but a lot of the writers in the genre tried to be spandex-clad, big haired rockers in the 80s. It makes a lot of sense if you listen to the many hair ballads, as theu're not so far away.

It's that and country - the most influential producers in Nashville in the past 20 years were Mutt Lange (who was famous for producing Def Leppard albums) and Dann Huff (who was previously the lead singer and guitarist in a hair metal band called Giant). I think it's because the onset of the 1990s saw a combination of grunge and the increasing influence of production techniques which percolated across from hip-hop meant there wasn't really much use for the whole network of producers and session musicians (a.k.a. Toto :v:) who had played on everything to come out of Los Angeles throughout the 1980s... except in Nashville, where that style of production and that kind of guitar-playing were still in high demand.

Check out this article - it's from about five years ago but it makes the point fairly well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

It's weird, someone really powerful loved Bubsy and pushed him super hard in the mid 90s. I think its possibly because he was the result of a ton of money spent on focus groups trying to come up with the most perfect mascot that kids would love, as he was trying to compete the Mario and Sonic. The execs that threw money at it probably kept thinking if they just get enough Bubsy out there, he'd take off.

The 90s was chock full of video game mascots just trying to get a sweet piece of that console wars money.

It was all Sonic. Sonic was the one that had all this runaway success by being "a dude with a 'tude" in contrast to boring old Mario. It's pretty interesting to read about how Sonic was the product of intense focus group analyses to create this gestalt of everything that was "cool" in 1992 or so, which resulted in Sonic's creation being partly influenced by Bill Clinton.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Non Serviam posted:

I owned the tank of the Street Sharks.

I remember going to a friend's birthday party and one of the things they had in the party bags was Street Sharks badges - everyone wanted the blue one with rollerblades.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Instant Sunrise posted:

Console Wars by Blake Harris talks about this (and I assume that's where you're getting that from), as well as the back and forth design process between Sega of America and Sega of Japan. SOJ's concepts for Sonic had him with a motorcycle and having a human girlfriend.

I've not read that book. It's more just stuff I've heard repeated for so long that I assume it's true.

Athenry posted:

Especially since the first Sonic game came out in 91 when no one was aware of Clinton yet.

He was at least known as the guy who made a hash of his keynote speech at the Democratic Convention in 1988. Him pulling off the nomination in 1992 was a bit of a surprise as well, since I'm pretty sure Brown, Tsongas and Kerrey were judged as more likely prospects. Again, Clinton being someone who was taken into consideration is just something I read about and have probably internalised as fact.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

But yea, sonic had 3 decent games, the rest has been absolute crap. I will never, ever understand the obsession some people have with Sonic, even beyond mentally ill people like Chris-Chan.

That depends on whether you count Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles as one game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rough Lobster posted:

Those were probably the last good Sonic games because I'm pretty sure SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG came out next and the little dude carrier around a piece. That marked the moment when Sonic and its fans started getting super weird.

it was probably as soon as they added big titty bat lady in SA2 that poo poo started getting weird to be honest, but it was still a fun game

Nah, it was well before that - it was the cartoon that had Princess Sally and the spin-off comic from Archie Comics.

I'm pretty sure online furry fandom circa 2004 or so consisted mostly of people who grew up masturbating to Princess Sally from the Sonic cartoon and also the one girl character on Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
First computer my family owned was Windows '98, which my dad got specifically because he wanted to play Age of Empires II.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pierson posted:

A worthy goal though.

I actually got the HD edition on Steam a while ago and I'd forgotten how great the narrator n the William Wallace campaign is.

"CREATE TEN MORRRRRE... WOOOOOOOAAAAAD RRRRRRRRRRAIDERRRRRRS!"

Super Waffle posted:

I remember trying to install Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (which was pretty much a pallet swap of AoE2). It required a minimum of 32 megs of RAM, I only had 24 :smith:

Speaking of screen sizes, after I upgraded to Windows 10, Steam only plays Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight in a small window now. It was full-screen in Windows 8. :(

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 10:25 on Mar 3, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember there used to be a CGI cartoon based on the movie version of Starship Troopers - it was on in the morning before I went to school. I distinctly remember one episode where Rico is non-graphically disembowelled (or close to it) by a bug and survives until he's rescued using a giant sticking plaster.

Might not have been 1990s, though. If it was it was at the tail-end.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about The Simpsons: one criticism that's been made against the show for the past 10 years or so is that it follows trends and tries too hard to be topical like South Park. Was this the case in the 1990s during its "golden age"? I've seen all those episodes, but only after the fact, so I can't really place most of them in their proper context.

It also occurred to me recently that I've only ever seen two full episodes from the first season of The Simpsons (I've seen "Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire" and "Some Enchanted Evening"). I've seen every episode from season two through to the end of season eleven or so, but I've never seen something like 90% of season one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel posted:

It did have its moments though, like they slipped in a crack at Bush sr. by inserting a scene where Homer makes a jab back at him for insulting the Simpsons.

Speaking of Bush and the Simpsons, I've heard that when they did the story where Homer pranks Bush with cardboard cutouts of his sons, the writers weren't 100% sure if there actually was a "George Bush Jr." and went with it anyway because it would be the kind of stupidly transparent trick Homer would try, because Jeb was the high-profile one (and I'm not sure if Dubya was even Governor of Texas when the episode was written) and it was apparently common knowledge that if there was another President Bush, it was going to be Jeb.

I've heard that was the big plan - Jeb was supposed to become Governor of Florida in 1994, then go for the presidency in 2000, but he lost his race while Dubya won his, so they shifted the plan over to him.