Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Collecting Tamagotchi and other virtual pet toys is my dumb nerdy hobby!!

You may be pleased to learn that they're still making the drat things. The modern (Japan-only, lol) releases are in full colour and use NFC for communication between the toys and with smart devices. The ones in Walmarts right now are actually a rerelease of the Mini version from 2005, rather than the 90s ones.

Raku Raku Dino-kun is actually a great pet and was frequently knocked off, itself! The genuine ones sell for pretty good prices online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Decidedly not adult, but this image gave me violent flashbacks to Sharky & George, which I have extremely vague memories of watching (though not enjoying) as a kid. It appears to have only survived in bad transfers, though based on my memories, it may have been that dim on broadcast as well. The repeat animation in the intro definitely seems like a mark of poor quality.

Thanks for that!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

oh hell yeah another excuse to post my #1 Jam

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I remember the screens when you quit the shareware version of dooms 1 and 2 said you'd call and get a code to unlock the rest of the levels?? So there was probably an easy crack unless I'm tripping balls

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Randaconda posted:

I don't feel much sympathy, though, stealing music shouldn't be rewarded.

Sampling isn't stealing...?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Randaconda posted:

I like UB40 :colbert:

The takes just keep coming!!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oh God there's a story?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

I like guru Larry, outsidexbox, and the AVGNerd, fight me! :saddowns:

I would but I'm not sure it'd be a very fair fight

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Aqua's second album had a little mini game where you had to pilot a submarine and shoot a giant octopus!! I forgot all about that.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

DizzyBum posted:

This and other crazy gimmicky board games were the poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5reqgy1W0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbyR5zcrHU

That magma-spewing idol is a lot creepier than I remembered. :stare:

I had both these games growing up! They ruled extremely hard

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ryonguy posted:

This is the 90's thread, everybody's favorite band is poo poo.

I will not hear a single bad word about Aqua in this thread :colbert:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ryonguy posted:

Sup horrible music taste buddy :cool::hf::cool:

Aqua is good, gently caress you

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

the mainstream music industry is just a gigantic loving lie right now.

??? It's producing music on an industrial scale, seems like it's working as intended to me

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The prozzak video that was supposed to be about tolerance but featured a skinhead saying 'it's OK to be white' or whatever aged like hot milk

Strange Disease is a bop though

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Trabant posted:

There's two three of us who remember Prozzak! Virgin Simon and Chad Milo, except supportive best friends.

edit: incremented count

Virgin Simon and Chad Milo except it's that version of the meme where they're married with a kid

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

https://youtu.be/Uwarhzl76D8

Same energy

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Owithey posted:

On a spotify deep dive I came across one of the most 90's tracks for me. Combining Nu-metal with happy hardcore makes it something special...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfixWlzFZ9k

This made my dog leave the room

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Eugh, the Mortal Kombat style of fighter animation always gave me a way stronger uncanny valley reaction than cgi ever could. Especially those spasming background characters

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I remember when Hot Topic opened, in 2010 :-)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Canada didn't get any hot topics until fairly recently. I have no idea where edgy kids got their clothes growing up.

Yeah growing up I only knew of hot topic through goth whispers on the neopets message boards. Our local bong shop, of all places?? filled the niche until Canada got its first hot topic in like 2010

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

In middle school sagging was defined as below your belly button,

As someone who grew up in the era of the 'microrise jean' this is hilarious and I love it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Can someone please explain how 187 means 'I hate you' because every explanation I can come up with has failed me

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I Brake For MILFs posted:

Florida has all of these things.

Florida is also home to World's Largest Entertainment McDonald's!

This may qualify me for an autism diagnosis but drat i miss hamster-tubes-as-recreation. I need to borrow my nephew or something

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I'm pretty sure Best Buy is the only store listed on the bottom of that ad that still exists.

Come to Canada! Toys'R'Us and EB (well, EBX, nee EB Games) live on here

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do we have to do to swing a revival in t-shirts being worn over long-sleeves?

Like all change, it starts with you, Neddy

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Im too young to have seen Daria as it was airing but I got the DVD set when I was the right age to appreciate the show and maybe it's bc I don't know what I'm missing but I thought it was perfectly watchable

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Debunk This! posted:

Did anyone ask for a eurodance song about Tamagotchis? No? Oh... well...

Hate that I know this, but this isn't the only one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8VhFor9zYU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When power is allowed to go unchallenged for too long it gets self-celebratory and indulgent and that is what happened to the 80s

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

StrangersInTheNight posted:

at least you could see things with color. the 00'/10's had a period of lighting trends which amounted to 'let's just make this too dark to play and fill it with jump scares', which was annoying.

"'realism means too much bloom and BROWN"

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Also I remember preferring Tamagotchi to Giga Pets because of the mystery of what creature you were raising and such.

Is this why Tamagotchi were (and are, both brands live on) the superior product

that said those 'gold' shells always flaked like mad

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

oh hey it's the song from robot unicorn attack

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

so i guess animated comedies have always thought there was some value in being just terrible to look at

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Randaconda posted:

Being bi is lesbian betrayal?

Serious question, I don't know much about the scene :ohdear:

Ohhh boy, save yourself and never get a Tumblr account

I was born 1994 so I never knew a time before CDs, but for the first ten or so years of my life tapes still had a major presence because they were considered lower risk to give to children. You don't have to be careful about holding them by the edges and you can fix them if they get a little damaged

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Well if we're having this conversation, the stereotype I've seen online is that bi people are actually out to convince men that queer women can be part of their dating pool, and thus increase the number of men who will pursue and ultimately attack lesbians for turning them down, because... Bi women hate lesbians, for some reason.

Tho tbf I have seen way too many of my fellow bis push 'sexuality is fluid, you might not stay homosexual forever! Don't stay homosexual forever. Stuck in the 70s. Not woke' bullshit so

However this has been almost entirely internet bullshit, lesbians and bis are on the whole extremely chill and good

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My earliest plans to be ruined by quarantine was the plan to go out for 'McDonald's Brunch' which is exactly what it sounds like and also a pure and joyous celebration of life, love, and classless gluttony. You can get SO many hotcakes and stay within budget

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

McDonald's like 5 years ago had grilled cheeses in the kids menu, they were made from those circular middle breads, and getting a pile of them was the pro vegetarian McDonald's option. They don't seem to be an option any more

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Sex Hobbit posted:

We definitely did those in elementary school in the mid 90s. It was the sort of thing a friend in class would teach you, which means I learned it from my mom KLUTZ

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This still gets stuck in my head. The epitome of late 90’s euro dance

Sorry for sharing peak 2001 content, but I never heard this song until recently, only this TV ad, and the ad still gets stuck in my head...

https://youtu.be/vVdvTnhkTO8

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Wacky Delly posted:

I really wanted this, but my Mom talked me out of it by rightly saying "who would you play it with?"

god there were so many toys i wasn't allowed to have because of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Was this a real restaurant? Or is this like an snl skit with the laugh track removed or something? Why is this American propaganda also telling me about a buffet