Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mezzanine posted:

Oh look it's my favorite song absolutely ever.

I remember having a tape of this from the radio, and I had no idea what the title or artist name was, so it was just my nameless favorite song for about ten years until I found the name after the internet progressed enough to where I could find it.

Seriously though, how much more 90's can you get than "I know what Bo don't know"

Mine too, along with Kiss From A Rose, Another Night, and C'mon and Ride It (The Train). Those songs take me right back to my late elementary/early middle school years.

I know Pure Moods has already been discussed a lot, but seeing that commercial transports me to 1994. I actually bought the album off of Amazon a couple of years ago. New age-y music is generally not my thing, but the tracks on Pure Moods I are (for me) late '80s/early '90s nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I really miss playing Red Alert 2, but I've never managed to get the Origin version to work on my Windows 10 laptop and my old CD-ROM disks don't work with my DVD drive. I keep looking for a version to come out on Steam, but I doubt a workable version will ever be ported.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was born in the mid '80s but somehow missed out on both Dunkaroos and Fruitopia, so I'll probably buy a few packs of these when they come out again this summer.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 19:14 on May 20, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I wish McDonald's would bring back the Arch Deluxe. I ate them as a middle schooler and thought they were good. The "serious food for serious adults" marketing was weird, but I thought the hatred for Arch Deluxe burgers was overwrought.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcMpJlYynBw

International Coffees.

lovely, instant, flavored coffee.

But to ten-year-old me, I thought that these were some sort of super sophisticated, fancy coffee you'd break out if the President came to visit or whatever.

Edit:
In the same vein:

Both of these looked delicious to me when I was a kid. Like you, I'd probably hate International Coffee now; too sweet. But Viennetta still looks pretty good, to be honest. Is it sold anywhere?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Culturally, I don't think the '90s really started in earnest until around 1992. The first year or two of every decade is carryover from the previous one.

^ Beaten by mind the walrus

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_Nintendo_Television

The first I heard about this was this afternoon, watching a Youtube video about it. Nine year old me would have lost his loving mind over this TV back in the '90s. Even now it's a pretty cool gadget. Youtuber Retro Rick managed to find a working one for only about a thousand.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

None of these songs are typical musical choices for me, but late in elementary school (1994ish) I got into contemporary top 40 radio for roughly a year. These songs still remind me of my fifth and sixth grade years:

Another Night - Real McCoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqYG87oxlGo

Shy Guy - Diana King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Pk6A3a2K4

Wanna Be My Lover - La Bouche
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LogL2pUiQmg

Cmon and Ride It (The Train) - Quad City DJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Awey7AbXT0

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Busket Posket posted:

Everyone has their favorite Star Trek* Captain, but do you prefer Joel, Mike, or Jonah?

*no mod jokes

No strong opinion either way. Joel and Mike have their good points. Mike is probably quicker with the riffs but he had the luxury of dealing with slightly higher quality movies than Joel. I've never seen any Jonah episodes.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Trabant posted:

I speak of myself when I say that high school Strong Music Opinions are the worst opinions.

Middle school ones as well. Those years taught me the hard way not to get into pointless arguments over musical taste. Just not worth the time and effort.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

She's a dead ringer for one of my elementary school classmates.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Darthemed posted:

drat, how many times did she get held back?

:lol: She was the first fifth grader to drive herself to school.

In all seriousness, though, I really do wonder if this is my friend.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

chglcu posted:

Hi, Sam.

*Electric guitar riff*

(I'm a tremendous idiot today.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just recently, the son of a family friend told me that he was learning Esperanto on Duolingo or one of those other language sites. I have no idea how you'd use that knowledge, but good for him, I guess.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Killingyouguy! posted:

I believe one (1) study found that learning Esperanto and then French made learning French easier than starting from scratch
That's probably it tho

Interestingly, this person told me that he went from French to Esperanto because he had gotten slack about keeping up the French. Maybe there is a benefit there; all I know about Esperanto is reading background signs in Red Dwarf's first season.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Does anyone else remember ZBots? They were a short lived attempt to cash in on the collectible toys market in the mid '90s but you rarely if ever hear anything about them today

(Not my picture)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh yeah, I was all about those after TMNT had run its course. I assume they must have been relatively cheap if my family was willing to get so many of them. I also had the ones from Burger King and most of the little offshoots like Mini-Zs and Military Combots, as mentioned here:
http://www.m2museum.com/Zbots/Zbots.htm

I feel like there must have been some holy grail playset that was considered too expensive, but maybe not -- I think this might have been the one case where I was actually allowed to get all of them.

I don't remember ever owning more than a single ZBot; pretty sure it was either Zolord or Emperon. I don't think it was an issue of money so much as not having the patience to collect all of the little figurines. But I obsessively collected Mad Super Specials at that age, so go figure.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I had forgotten all about this commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjHYcd8B-50

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 16:46 on May 26, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bloopsy posted:

The extended version was even better because the girl shot him like a dozen times for being a rat.

Pepsi had to close out the '90s by finishing all the family's business.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have a memory of Regis and Kathie Lee dancing the Macarena outdoors during one of their shows.

It's the moment I realized that the Macarena and its dance trend was completely played out, even at age 12.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I remember Boku, and even as a not-particularly-media-savvy kid I thought 'juice box, but for adults' was incredibly stupid. I don't think I ever saw anyone drinking it 'in the wild'.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yikes! pencils were not functionally great as pencils, but I was slightly cool for five minutes when I used them in second grade. Mission accomplished?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There were all sorts of weird pencils back then. I had a bunch that were triangular, which seemed cool until I realized I had to sharpen them and they wouldn't fit in the sharpener.

I think I remember those. The '90s were the golden era of weird and wonderful school supplies: Yikes and triangular pencils, Trapper Keepers, Lisa Frank. There was even colorful glue:

It's another school thing that seemed cool at first but ultimately was just glue. I'm not sure the color even stayed when the glue dried.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

He's Xtreme.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Da bomb, even.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I never had Orbitz but I don't think I would have liked it as a kid. The floating orbs were just a weird choice.

I missed out on so much '90s stuff. Never had Orbitz. Never had Snapple. Never had Fruitopia. I did have Crystal Pepsi at one point and convinced myself that I had liked it. Boy was I in for a rude awakening when I tried it again in 2011ish.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That's interesting. I've never particularly cared for modern design aesthetic. "Flat" is a good word for it, because it's so colorless and tasteless (in terms of 'flavor'; not being crass).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

This is definitely the better way to look at it. It really is amazing to think how the iMac and the iPod changed everything when it came to aesthetics

Not for the better.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I had forgotten all about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YVWpgjCgLE

Used to play at the beginning of a lot of VHS tapes my family owned/rented.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

we're all just old farts not plugged in enough with pop music to know it.

No doubt. I've been telling friends that I must be getting old because I fully embrace the "elder" Millennial label and don't even give a poo poo.

Once you get to the point where you're out of touch with youth culture and no longer give a gently caress, you're old.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmMQfTJ3gYk

Who else had to learn how to dance to this song in elementary and/or middle school P.E?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

'90s logos were far better than the ones now. :okboomer:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Unperson_47 posted:

There's a collection of decades of MAD magazine on DVD I got from a Software, Etc that I load up and look through an issue or 2 every so often. It's also available on archive.org if anyone is interested.

Oh cool! I have the Totally Mad set but I've never figured out how to dump the issues onto my Linux machine.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's so bizarre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2oC99e_xPY

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh boy, I've been waiting almost 30 years...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I know that song entirely from the Pure Moods CD commercials.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What are some big cultural events that signify the end of the 90s? Ya know like people use Altamont or the Manson murders to bookend the 60s.

I want to say Bush v Gore, because it ended a period of relative political harmony (despite Gingrich and the blowjob impeachment). I consider that ruling to be a sign of things to come.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Neito posted:

I don't remember the 90s being a relatively calm political period, it was just mostly turned inward.

You might be right. I didn't really start following politics until around 9/11, so I missed most of the politics of the '90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

Me from the 90's would be really shocked and confused about almost every aspect of the me of today.

Our '90s selves would barely understand a lot of our lingo today - Twitter, tweets, etc. I envy them their comparatively more innocent 1990s internet.