Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Lemon-lime Slice was replaced by Sierra Mist, but orange Slice kept on truckin'. It's still around, sort of:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Slice-Diet-Slice-Orange-Flavored-Drinks-Other-Ready-To-Drink-12-fl-oz/13424364

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Renzuko posted:

It never went away in canada.

You're thinking of "French-Speaking Nuts," and yes, unfortunately, Quebec is still there.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Pauline Kael posted:

OK, in 1994 I was in grad school and working full time at an IT job. We were hip to the internet, which hadn't quite reached the Normals yet. Wired Magazine was our bible, and we anxiously awaited every issue. Then, this:

Here come the Zippies! (2.05) In May of 1994, Wired announced that a confab of techno-pagens at the Grand Canyon in August would spark a cultural wildfire that could change America forever. It was the next Woodstock, the inauguration of a millennial culture.

Yup, that's some purestrain 90s, in both thought and appearance, right there. Feel free to chime in with your favorite Wired memories, like Get Thee To The Internet, and The Long Boom.

My favorite Wired memory was when it became 90% ads and I cancelled my subscription :allears:

In other news, I can't figure out which of these songs is the most 90's and would like goon input:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjNn4bbbgSw Seven Mary Three's "Cumbersome"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw The Prodigy's "Firestarter"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUb450Alpps the oft-mentioned-in-this-thread "Hunger Strike" by Temple of the Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkMhCLkVOg R.E.M's "What's the Frequency Kenneth"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkcJEvMcnEg Nirvana's "Lithium"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Gravitee posted:

I thought I was the poo poo when I wrote my bib overalls

These are still popular in the rural Midwestern U.S. To see them in the wild, just go to a Dairy Queen and you'll more likely than not be standing in line behind a self-styled "country gurrl" wearing bib overalls and a sports bra with no shirt.

Change comes slowly to some places (if at all).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Yes, a cable TV channel filled (during daytime hours) with crappy low-budget children's programming designed to sell products to a target demographic consisting of women aged 18-35 who have children is literally the 1990's incarnate. How could we have forgotten about it?

Oh, because we were all too busy staring at this:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

The word balloon is perfect. There was also the weird energy Superman too. Did DC ever know what it was doing in its monthlies?

Oh man that whole mess was so '90s comics:

Superman dies and we get four replacements:

Black Supes!

Gay Supes!

Weird Stoic Supes With Kickin' Rad Yellow Visor!

Cyborg Supes!

Oh, wait, turns out Supes isn't dead anymore!
'90s Action Hero Supes!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Remember this classic tune?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
That Push song reminded me of another song you couldn't set foot in a club without hearing back then.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kavak posted:

That was literally one month later, so it might as well be 9/11. At least it's easier to trace than when the 90's started.

It's hard to pin down a specific date to describe the exact start of the 90s because so many political, social, cultural, and economic events contributed to its genesis.

William Strauss and Neil Howe are the preeminent scholars in generational studies, and they suggest the first Millennials were entering elementary school when the Soviet Union collapsed, so I agree with the above posters that right then is as good a time as any to say the 90s started. Lots of things happened in the years following the collapse that would shape the new generation and make them so much different than Generation X, which preceded it.

That's a pretty generic "start," though--I'm sure 90s fashion, music, technology, etc. all have their own particular events that "officially" kicked off the decade.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Benny Harvey posted:

What was the general feeling between the fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of the USSR? Did people think that it was only a matter of time before the USSR disintegrated or was the Cold War still much of an issue?

The U.S. was still afraid of the Soviet Union (they boasted until the very end that they had enough nuclear weaponry to destroy the earth hundreds of times over (and certainly did)), but when the Wall went down and people had free and unrestricted access to East Berlin, it was obvious that there was almost nothing to be afraid of. The socio-economic-political system they'd been talking up for ages clearly wasn't working out and hadn't been for a long time, and it wasn't immediately apparent until we could finally see what things looked like on the other side. The eventual collapse of the Soviet Union was pretty much a foregone conclusion at that point.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Goddrat was The Dig great! They went all out on it and it loving showed. A Spielberg IP, a veteran Hollywood composer, hand-drawn animated cutscenes, and Robert Patrick (who played the T-1000 from Terminator 2) doing the voice of the main character.

Fun fact! Brink (the grumpy German teammate) was voiced by Steve Blum, who would go on to be in literally everything ever

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Nintendo has decided to bring back the 90's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbvzyY1FKr0

I saw this and thought "Hahaha it'd be funny if they made The Wizard II to promote it" but then I remembered that Hollywood is getting ready to release a Jem and the Holograms movie so I won't be surprised if it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember seeing a lot of trash music coming from Europe and stuff like Eiffel 65 and Crazy Frog just baffled me. Not that our music was much better with things like Thong Song heating up the charts.

"Axel F" made it to #1 on the UK Billboard Singles Chart back in '05, beating loving Coldplay to the top. They don't get to make fun of any garbage music we produce ever ever.