Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

Does Slice still exist because that was my poo poo

Nope, Pepsi killed it off and replaced it with Sierra Mist, if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I recently heard Marilyn mansons new song a few times on the local rock radio station. I wonder if parents these days are still worried about their kids listening and watching mansons shocking and abhorrent behavior.

Obligatory fourteen-year-old Onion link

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Ah-ha! I've been wanting to find the commercial for that on YouTube because it's so ridiculous and dumb, but I couldn't remember the name. I'm pretty sure there was a similar thing out there with eight weapons and it may have been a water gun but I'm not totally sure.

edit: jesus christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi7E5jRRaXs

edit2: I was half right on the other thing, it was called the Power Shooter TS-8, and it was some Nerf kinda thing. The commercial was a different kind of dumb from the TS-7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAglOl8ibOk

root beer has a new favorite as of 14:36 on May 15, 2015

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Goddamn, I didn't even know that they redid the intro, and like five or six years ago?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oh my god, if chillwave is background music for being strung out in the summer, then vaporwave is for late fall when everything is dying.

welp, gonna go kill myself, brb

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

About seven years ago I wandered through a dying mall, where only one and a half of the anchor stores were open and everything else was abandoned. My soundtrack was the Conet Project though, I was going for eerie rather than depressing.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of hair, I saw a dude with a mullet (and an kaiser bill) the other day, and I though "drat, why do people keep trying to bring that thing back?" and also remembered how the mullet did get its start in the 80s, I always associate it with the 90s because it was everywhere. Movie starts would have them done in their latest roles, and they were all over tv. Pretty much every boy in family sitcoms had them, and they were artfully arranged for maximum business up front, party in the back.

Sure, the mullet's been around since the '80s or even before that, but it didn't get its name until the mid-'90s.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I remember Big Dogs shirts were pretty popular for a brief time. I mean they're better than Chip and Pepper but still.

Oh look they're still around
https://www.bigdogs.com/ And they've turned into a douchebag clothing outlet

Ugh, Chip & Pepper. I don't remember their clothing line, but I do recall their terrible Saturday Morning thing on NBC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7I-zOK5kz0

quote:

So were Big Johnson

Or Co-ed Naked

Shirts more popular in your neck of the woods? Though I have to admit, the Big Johnson shirts have a lot more effort put into them than I remember.

How about those stupid out-of-focus shirts that were huge for a cup of coffee?

Admittedly not the best examples but you catch my drift, right?

And I could swear that I remember seeing some weird knockoff Big Johnson-type shirts with a character on them that literally had a boner, I was wondering how the poo poo people could get away with wearing that in middle school.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I had a Cowboys Starter knockoff. So not only was I a lame bandwagoneer (lived in NEOhio but will forever hate the Browns), but I was a loving poor on top of it.

Yikes. Kinda prescient.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Doesn't that poo poo still exist?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its carryover from the 80s when everything got super bright and neon.

Like the real high water mark for me was the opening to Saved by the Bell (started 1989)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgqPmmmycIg

Just look at that poo poo. The color palette is like, neon yellow, bright red, bright blue, pink, and purple. Its an acid fever dream.

And look how busy the backgrounds are! They're afraid to have solid colors, they have to have squiggles and splotches everywhere.

gently caress look at Fresh Prince (1990)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBe0VCso0qs

The credits are in GREEN ON PINK font

Yep, that was def. late '80s to early '90s; by the middle of the decade, it seemed like everything was all neutral tones and faded bleakness, reflecting the mopey grunginess of gen X.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Duck_King posted:

I was actually thinking about Mad About You a few months ago, and I'd always thought it was the most boring, bland television show ever made. Whenever I picture the show I just see them dressed in their yuppie clothes in their yuppie apartment, it's night time, having boring banter back and forth, and their immaculately groomed dog will occasionally wander into the scene. The whole thing was just so sterile.

"Post the most 90s thing you can find"

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All despite of your job being a joke, being broke, and your love life D-O-A.

Yeah, it was like I was always stuck in second gear

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

From the guy who made Verrit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_FThlNAa-Y

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Len posted:

My grandparents went into a nursing home finally and while we were trying to put a dent in their poo poo I found about two dozen packs of Decision 92 trading cards.

Wow. I have a bunch of Desert Storm trading cards at my mom and dad's place, I thought that was pretty lame. This is a whole new level.
"Aw man, you got the Pat Buchanan hologram? I just have this David Duke, gross."

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Two movies from the late 90s - Anaconda and Lake Placid. If these were made today, they'd be Sy Fy originals (and they'd probably have the same casts and budgets :v:), but in the late 90s, they went out in theatres and they made loads of money. I think that's funny in a strange way. Those must have been the last movies like that.

How dare you forget the cinematic tour de force that was Snakes on a Plane <:mad:>

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

About ten, fifteen years ago, there was a shop at noted DeadMall Rolling Acres Mall that only sold grillz. I laughed for a bit, then did what everyone else did at that mall and left without buying anything.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Rain was dope, it was pretty refreshing, at least as far as sugar water goes. The rest were just as cloyingly sweet as everything else though.

quote:

But this, wow, I'm getting a sick headache around my eyes just thinking about the sweetness of Fruitopia. And that's coming from someone who practically mainlined Surge. of course I actually like La Croix et al but come on

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

World Market is the only place near me that carries Fentiman's Dandelion & Burdock, my favorite weird soda

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

It's not seltzer though, it's just clear soda, much to my disappointment

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Wario Land for the VB ruled, I actually spent an embarrassing amount of time playing the store demo of that game. I wish there was a good emulator for it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: Michael Bolton once auditioned for the vacant lead vocalist slot in Black Sabbath.

I believe it, he fronted a rock band in the late '70s called Blackjack under his real name (Bolotin). I know this because my dad got my mom his first, eponymous 1975 album on cassette one Christmas, not knowing it wasn't exactly what either would expect:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't that the case with the NES Classic now?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

However, I totally concede that I might be the only person alive that actually liked the wonky N64 controller.

Nah, I thought it was pretty good for what it was and that the controller was well-suited for games like Turok (D-pad for fwd/rev and strafing, analog stick for looking/turning, Z for shooting and L for jumping). Sony ended up improving the concept, sure, but maybe they should have thought of it in the first place.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Who’s the meatbag stuck between Dorothy Gale and the New Kids on the Block?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

So which was worse, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, or Captain N, the Game Master?

trick question, it was Video Power, with that cartoon that had Max Force from NARC, Kuros from Wizards & Warriors, Tyrone from Arch Rivals, Kwirk the Tomato, and Bigfoot(?)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The first time I saw Conan (had to be in '93), all I remember was something about Gilbert Gottfried and frozen peas or something. It was cringey as hell. A year or so later, I tried it again and was hooked ever since.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

The satellite tv bits were some of the things that brought me back to Conan, and I thought about Max on Max but wasn’t sure if anyone else would remember that. Puppies in Watermelons was a favorite of mine too.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

The only bad thing about this was that if an album had a secret song hidden on it you'd miss it becuase when the last song is done, you'd switch cds or start it again!

I recently threw out all my old mix cds, which I burned and dated, and I have no desire to find out what was on Mix june 30th 1997.

I found out about "Endless, Nameless" when I was listening to Nevermind while doing chores and got too busy to change the CD when "Something in the Way" ended.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Minor interruption in '90s music chat for this pic that is '90s as gently caress:

https://twitter.com/Mark_DMcKinney/status/1006613382068228096

Thank you, '90s music chat may resume

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Randaconda posted:

As somebody who grew up in a small town, it was really hard to become aware of any cool new bands/genres that didn't get a lot of radio play, as well.

:(:hf::(
I missed out on so much, living in a rural area outside a worthless poo poo town.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

peak 90s was also me convincing someone on a BBS - and I have no idea why I did this, other than because I could - that I was the real and actual Billy Ray Cyrus

I had a handful of people convinced via MySpace that I was Tim Allen in 2006. Can’t figure out why because it was very obviously a joke profile

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Yep mine too. I wonder if that was intentional. We were shown in the 70s R&J movie, with the nipple because this is Canada.

Meh, I saw the Zeffirelli version in English class too, in America, twenty-two years ago. Never saw the Baz Luhrmann version because I never had an interest in the source material, but I’m obliquely familiar with it thanks to Hot Fuzz.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

It's an LP, but this Myst-like FMV bullshit features the most concentrated in-your-face pretentious '90s bullshit you could ever experience. I'm only going to link it because it's :nws: in spots.

Try not to OD on the hot rave garbage fire that is Virtual Night Club on Win98: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGgCnoOocOk (presented by Chip Cheezum)

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

mostlygray posted:

It took me a long time to get used to the onscreen first down line. I liked the old way. Just to just look for the chains and then space things out in my head. The onscreen marker makes you lazy.

More like completelygray

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

The X-files kind of did that.

I’d say it was more than just “kinda”; The X-Files was pretty well known for being about balancing the episodic “monster of the week” installments with the underlying “mythology” episodes, which spanned not only a seasonal arc, but over the course of the entire series.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

All I remember about Suddenly Susan was Brooke Shields was some magazine journalist and that it also had Judd Nelson, Nestor Carbonell, and Kathy Griffin. Oh, and that there was a guy on there who killed himself irl so they worked that into the plot of one episode.

Veronica’s Closet was just Kirstie Alley as a whiny former fashion model doing some Victoria’s Secret bullshit, and I’m just going to say that was the extent of it. It existed in a black void and she was all alone in it for all I’m willing to remember.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Anyway, Crossing Jordan knocked loose a memory that I had a friend of a friend who was obsessed with a show called Profiler, that I never really liked, although I probably only watched the crossover episodes with The Pretender

The Pretender was loving Good.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Good god that sounds almost worse than doing two weeks of square dancing every year in elementary school gym class.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That show had only one plot with the details being filled in Mad Libs style week after week but somehow it worked. Also Miss Parker was smoking hot.

:hmmyes: Agreed on both parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Holy moly how much does a pizza like that cost? Unless those are false morels? Because I don’t know well enough to distinguish between the two