Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Taken directly from the GBS Youtube thread, I really think this might be the most 90's thing I've seen so far. Presenting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFIngV3rMpo

So instead of producing your typical infomerical, Sega went ahead and produced what amounts to a Paid-For TV Pilot. The show-within-the-show is just 90's as gently caress and laughably includes lines like "Will the 32X deliver a whole new level of gaming, or a whole new level of hype?" but The Pilot About People Trying To Make A Pilot is no slouch either, with character personalities that would feel right at home in the middle of Saved The By Bell.
The fashion is 90's, the games they're ultimately hyping up are 90's, the weird way it treats technology like EPROMs is some Hackers-style nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Ya know, I heard Republica probably as much as anyone else who breathed in that whole decade, but this was the first time I had seen the video.
Is it a 90's thing for your video to give people seizures? Cause that shirt hurt to watch after a while.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Yea, after a quick Wiki scan, TV Guide is probably more along the lines of "Post the most 50's thing you can find". It was apparently the most read magazine in America by the 60's and only really started to suffer in the new millennium when this new fangled internet fad started to grow.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives

DrBouvenstein posted:

Related:

A bunch of 90's (and some 80's) Nickelodeon bumpers/promos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXrTqspSDY

Edit: Man, it's weird how much Nickelodeon loved do-wop, dinosaurs, and do-wopping dinosaurs.

Let's talk Branding for a second.

It's 1985, and Viacom is done having Nickelodeon be this channel with a bunch of silver balls that no one ever watches. They want it to be big, they want it as game changing as MTV was four years ago, they want every child ever to associate Nickelodeon = Kids.

So do how you do that?

Well the marketing dudes who they hired had two main ideas, approaching this idea from two fronts: Visual and Audio.
The Visual Strategy, we all know. That particular pantone of orange is STILL being used on that channel.

But audio was interesting because you still have to somehow drill it into kids heads that "THIS IS YOUR CHANNEL, NICKELODEON IS FOR KIDS". But you also have the added difficulty of having this somewhat weird name that no one under a certain age is even sure is a Real Word. How do you get kids to remember Nick El O De On?

Using doo wop bands to record the jingles just made all the sense in the world when you think about it.

For a fascinating read on this subject, turns out you can go to the very people responsible for all of us having "NICK NICK NICK" stuck in our head til our dying breath.
http://fredalan.org/post/69620536/the-doo-wopping-of-television-1984-1992

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
So I see some people aren't familiar with one of my favorite shows on Nickelodeon. Let's fix that.

Oh and just for fun, have some Legends Of The Hidden Temple and some Wild And Crazy Kids.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
That's kind of why I always liked the show more than other game shows. While there were episodes that had them make a Human-Sized Battleship game where they used what I think were water balloons as missiles, most of the episodes were the same sort of games you would come up with on a random Summer Saturday, just scaled up for TV. Just looking at the intro from episode 3 there was:
A normal game of T-ball, but everyone has to spin themselves around their bat five times before they go up and swing.
Which team can get their house the most covered with Toilet Paper?
A massive pillow fight.

Ya gotta figure, from a television perspective, this was the cheapest drat show to ever air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I feel like I've posted this before, but god drat is it still beautifully 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbK-Bo3k9KQ