Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

NOT THE GRUE! ANYTHING BUT THE GRUE! :supaburn::froggonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

gonna be summer soon

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

cash crab posted:

gonna be summer soon

I'm getting mixed messages here. Emu tells me summer is the current season and it's probably ~41ºC outside right now but you say summer is coming. Summer is already here or just over 9 months away.

ninja edit: I say 41 because that is what the thermometer reads right now at 4pm.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Birb Katter posted:

I'm getting mixed messages here. Emu tells me summer is the current season and it's probably ~41ºC outside right now but you say summer is coming. Summer is already here or just over 9 months away.

ninja edit: I say 41 because that is what the thermometer reads right now at 4pm.

I forgot you lived in Opposite Land where it is daytime and also hot. I'd say I envy you but that weather sounds disgusting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cash crab posted:

I forgot you lived in Opposite Land where it is daytime and also hot. I'd say I envy you but that weather sounds disgusting.

Melbourne is the nice temperate city we let the tourists come see, everywhere else just burns all the non-Australian folk to ashes within a week of summer starting

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

cash crab posted:

I would have let it slide if you didn't use the animal that is half of our coat of arms

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Melbourne is the nice temperate city we let the tourists come see, everywhere else just burns all the non-Australian folk to ashes within a week of summer starting

Melbourne ... nice temperature.

LOL

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Birb Katter posted:

Melbourne ... nice temperature.

LOL

We've had pretty good weather compared to the 45-degree days some of the other states have been getting this year :supaburn:.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a serious question:

As a hairy Caucasian dude, I cannot fathom living in a place that breaks 100 F on a regular basis. Does Australia have giant ice tubs for people to run into between shops with AC?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I've got a bad camera, but my cat was sitting like this while we watched Netflix.

He thinks Steve Avery is full of poo poo.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Inzombiac posted:

As a hairy Caucasian dude, I cannot fathom living in a place that breaks 100 F on a regular basis. Does Australia have giant ice tubs for people to run into between shops with AC?

I don't even have aircon. I'm the kind of dude who walks around in the arctic in shorts and a t-shirt yet summer temps are just a given here. You get used to it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/WeRateLizards/status/702726779669184513

Oh man, this account is gonna be the death of me :3:

https://twitter.com/Kirika_ma_cos/status/702502621022531584

"I love you, fuzzy arm thing"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

With my cat, this sound means he's about to lash out. I tensed up just hearing that.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

fluffy animals lunging at or toward the camera is seriously becoming my new favorite thing

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

That's sad.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I went to the zoo tonight! My pictures aren't great because my phone is kinda lovely, but still. Animals! I even saw Capybaras in person for the first time ever, though they were at a bad angle for a photo, so I didn't get one.
But I did get pictures of..
This otter:

An elephant about to devour this poor zookeeper

A very noble Tiger

A Kea raiding a crate

A Porcupine having dinner

And a meeting between two noble creatures.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

No.... though Perth has a maze made of water that they turn on on really hot days.

Also: sure, Melbourne is temperate on average. And that's the problem with averages: Melbourne is mostly outliers :cheeky:

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Feb 25, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Melbourne effectively has two seasons. 'Summer', for about two months, which has a predictable pattern of climb up over the course of a week to a heatwave, sit in the high 30s or sometimes low 40s for a few days, crash down to the 20s, and then repeat. As a result, the averages look deceptively like we have warm but comfortable summers.

The rest of the year the season is basically a season I call 'miscellaneous', with it trending towards being on average cooler more often during the middle of the year but quite frankly on any given day or hour it could be anything, usually somewhere between a daily max of 15 and 30.

It's really only during the heatwaves during the summer months that things are really a problem, and we just spend those months ducking from A/C to A/C, wearing as little as possible, or being in the water. It helps that Melbourne's extremely dry, humidity-wise.

Of course, Melbourne is the southernmost city on the mainland. The peak of summer up north is just inhuman. Fortunately, it's mainly Queenslanders.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Feb 25, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Melbourne effectively has two seasons. 'Summer', for about two months, which has a predictable pattern of climb up over the course of a week to a heatwave, sit in the high 30s or sometimes low 40s for a few days, crash down to the 20s, and then repeat.

The rest of the year the season is basically a season I call 'miscellaneous', with it trending towards being on average cooler more often during the winter months but quite frankly on any given day or hour it could be anything, usually somewhere between a daily max of 15 and 30.

If you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

A rare desert pupper.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My first and so far only experience with Australian summer was in Perth over Christmas two years ago. I think the highest we hit was like 38 or 39, but honestly it was very tolerable (and I'm a person who hates heat), largely because the air is extremely dry and the wind off the Indian Ocean is strong around parts of the area (namely Fremantle). The sun can be pretty oppressive though and I'm still astounded that there aren't massive sprawling solar panels in the bush.

And speaking of my Perth trip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ebCRWXQRs

Drone has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Feb 25, 2016

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Waifu pillow equivalent for lizards

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

MikeJF posted:

It helps that Melbourne's extremely dry, humidity-wise.

Comedy.

It was 94% humidity at 8am this morning (25th).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KingPave posted:

Comedy.

It was 94% humidity at 8am this morning (25th).

Yeah well usually

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice

This isnt an animal, it's a soot sprite.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Drone posted:

My first and so far only experience with Australian summer was in Perth over Christmas two years ago. I think the highest we hit was like 38 or 39, but honestly it was very tolerable (and I'm a person who hates heat), largely because the air is extremely dry and the wind off the Indian Ocean is strong around parts of the area (namely Fremantle). The sun can be pretty oppressive though and I'm still astounded that there aren't massive sprawling solar panels in the bush.

And speaking of my Perth trip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4ebCRWXQRs

Oh hey, the cute thread turned into Auspol. We don't have solar because coal is the future*

* please ignore that anyone selling coal is going bankrupt because the rest of the world realises how poo poo it is

I guess you could describe Australian policy as a sexy wombat stuck on the back of a tortoise. It tries to run back to a time when it was relevant but the turtle marches on in the other direction.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I've been away for a while. What's the latest on Butterscotch?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Did someone say PORCUPINE HAVING DINNER???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMeuwYvlBI0

:3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Dewgy posted:

Those squeaks~! :kimchi:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I've been away for a while. What's the latest on Butterscotch?

Got adopted by his foster family, got sick, got better, less fat, still adorable. :3:

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz3btMhdQ6Y

Kemosabe also made an appearance on Sci-Show.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Birb Katter posted:

I guess you could describe Australian policy as a sexy wombat stuck on the back of a tortoise. It tries to run back to a time when it was relevant but the turtle marches on in the other direction.

I think that might be a Rock Hyrax! They are also excellent at carrying smaller animals.

And they have tusks!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Dewgy posted:

I'll never get tired of the cartoon noises porcupines make :kimchi:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Dammerung posted:

I think that might be a Rock Hyrax! They are also excellent at carrying smaller animals.

And they have tusks!

Tusks, like Dugongs and Elephants have!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Teddybear posted:

Got adopted by his foster family, got sick, got better, less fat, still adorable. :3:

Yay!

Also...

quote:

Got adopted by his foster family

Not even surprised a little bit.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
Buster the Chicken Shepard