Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOAfXUshpVY

This is honestly the best thing. Around 1:16 it becomes so hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEAMq3y0950
:allears:

Oh my god.

This is amazing, guys. Second one in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soBYeKyUIPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYArYehhyPg

Go onto that channel, there's videos all through their growing up. It's amazing how quickly their total arsehole attitude comes out.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Dec 21, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

it just dawned on me why pallas' cats are so angry looking. It's the eyes with the round pupils instead of the cat slits.

Most of the big or medium felines have round pupils. Pallas just look weird because they're so small and have them.

Also Pallas' cats are so angry looking in part because they're so angry. People who work with cats at zoos all apparently agree that Pallas' cats are the biggest, grumpiest arseholes of all of them by far.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Kind of like when you first notice goats' pupils are horizontal.

:psyboom:

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 06:11 on Dec 21, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And it turns out Pallas' cats sound exactly like they look

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lookit that smug little fucker

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've seen cats walking like that when they have something stuck to them. Maybe on the other side.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And that's why if you live out in the bush you are never ever gonna get to sleep in in your life.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

Snow leopards hunt them, although sadly their biggest threat is human poachers.

If they get cornered they stand up to make themselves look bigger, so weaponising adorableness isn't too far off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LateToTheParty posted:

It's nice to see people finding this dog cute and not screaming about it being a genetic abomination that should be put down.

To be honest it's probably healthier than either of the source breeds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mmm, if the cat was getting ready to pounce the ears would be up and forward (preying) or back (pissed off). Totally flattened is scared, it's instinctively making itself smaller to hide.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Feb 2, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

davidspackage posted:

I think it's just a hilarious coincidence, where both ears are the same, one's just floppy (in the manner a lab has), and it happens to be the one on the side of it's dark eye. I would never tire of looking at that dog, though.

Hilarious coincidence is the case with pretty much all the animals that the internet likes to call chimeras. Venus The Chimera Cat is a calico that just happens to have both heterochromia and a very straight line of colouring. That's not really how chimerism presents itself.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Feb 7, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWJT0CyZKn8

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

^^
That's definitely not a baby wombat

pretty sure it's a baby hairless rabbit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Those were just to model, but these are real:

Loving the tux.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Safari Disco Lion posted:

It's something with loading this images on another website, I think. It works fine from Imgur, where it's a couple megabyte gif, but then c/p'ed here it's a huge movie file that kills my browser.

It's the other way around. On Imgur, it's displayed as a real movie file, so it's only a few hundred kilobytes. But SA doesn't let you embed HTML5 video, so it has to be embedded as a gif, which is a 20 meg monstrosity that kills the page.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CUBE. POOP.

:australia:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hexapods are pretty common these days.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When you spend your entire life in the Australian bush, a giant mostly-hairless pink thing isn't going to be anywhere near the top of your list of worries.

The flipside; Kookaburas are fearless because there aren't really many large native predators that'd be going after it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Their field of view doesn't narrow, but their resolving power gets worse. When their pupils are narrow slits the height something has to be to be distinguishable as a distinct object is less than the width.

So they basically lose horizontal resolution?

(except in no way actually like that)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thunderfinger posted:

So I saw this and the Lord of the Rings theme starts playing in my head...

The most Lord of the Rings cat is Sygmond the Grey

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Holy poo poo kangabara. So adorably judgmental. I am sorry kangabara, I have lived my life without honor. I shall make amends.

They're also closely related to the viscacha, who look like rabbit-monk hybrids.

That entire family of animals is steeped in eternal wisdom.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Birb Katter posted:

Bush Babbies are super awesome. Australia has the best little critters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8gj1pmSbGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGYtUseatU

All of the small possums are cute as hell. Americans are probably most familiar with the Sugar Glider, which is just one of many small Aussie possums.

Leadbeater's possum:

Western Pygmy!

Baby!

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Mar 30, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dekenai posted:

It IS true! So were Maremma Sheepdogs -

My neighbours have one, she's big and floppy and adorable.

Maremmas bred to protect free-range chickens on farms are now being used to great effect in Australia to protect endangered penguin and gannet colonies.

They're about to start trying the technique to protect bandicoots too. They're training them now:

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Apr 9, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, the sandcats all really went crazy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god the chickens are coming.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That Wombat looks like a carnival prize.

I'm pretty sure that's Patrick. He's the oldest Wombat ever (29 years) and Wombats are one of those species that never stop growing, so Patrick is... a big boy.

He's too big to easily carry so they roll him around in a wheelbarrow like it's his rickshaw.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Apr 19, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love the way it spins around to fight the guy when he catches up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Patrick was posted a few pages ago, but I can't stop thinking about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elqhEWWRjDM

A more content animal there never was.

Life is good. :allears:

Hakkesshu posted:

I actually find that oddly comforting for whatever reason. They're like little tanks. I'd like to think that if one gets hit by a car it wouldn't be the wombat who got hurt.

Oh, yeah, wombats are little indestructible tanks of solid muscle. They can kill a dingo by diving into a hole, then when a dingo pokes their head in after they crush the dingo's skull with their butt.

MikeJF has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Apr 22, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

God I love Australia.

Fifty thousand years ago mega-wombats existed. Life size model:

I like to think that if they were still around, we'd have been riding on the back of giant armour-plated wombats into battle. Take that, horse cavalry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What a good dog. :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

Dog eats bee, turns into cartoon dog.

Bees! :argh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheMaestroso posted:

That's because popular culture lags behind scientific consensus rather egregiously. The official view of bipedal dinosaur posture had a major shift in the '60s and '70s to what we're familiar with now, but people have still seen the outdated concept in various media since then. The only real controversy comes from the average person being surprised when something familiar is changed (see: Pluto's classification).

Not to mention that... how long have we known dinosaurs were largely feathered?

Although to be honest I think plenty of people know that and just stick with the old image because it's cooler.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Holy poo poo those cats' manes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kinmik posted:

You sure you're not talking about Adventure Time? Zach Callison isn't exactly a kid anymore, and he does affect his voice to play Steven. Jeremy Shada, who voices Finn, started out when he was a kid and you can almost pinpoint the exact moment he hit puberty while working on the show. I dunno, I'm not trying to call you out or anything. :shobon:

Well, Callison is, what, 16? His voice is still a fair bit higher pitched than an adult naturally. But yeah, he does affect Steven's voice, it's just pretty close to his normal voice still. Which is fortunate because it let them tweak it into something much better partway through season one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kitsch! posted:

My cat didn't mind riding in the car, but hated being in a cat carrier (claustrophobic, I guess). She preferred when I chauffeured her.

Misty hated the car in her carrier but if we let her out she was too busy going MUST WATCH EVERYTHING OUTSIDE to remember to hate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did someone say adorable spider?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEAMq3y0950

SO FUNKY

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Octopuses are awesome.

...holy poo poo, that's lethal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Suleman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8cIrZs2UnI
Baby wombats. Belly scratches. Snuffling.

Oh my god they're like incredibly fat puppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

goatface posted:

I like how their primary play-fight move appears to be "ramming speed".

Well that's basically their opening move when adult wombats fight stuff too.

• Locked thread