Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
No, you just pick your dudes up and move them. I could of forgiven anything but the controls in this are so lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I played a bit the other day after the update; they got the DLC guys as part of the AI warbands, which is nice. The AI still is very bad tho so eh. Early game they can sometimes be hard, but later on, thanks to being stupid and having bad builds, they're not that scary even on Deadly.

I also completed the campaign as the Skaven, and this game holds a cherished spot in my heart of being one of the more bullshit experiences I've had in games outside of like, actual rougelikes, which is great. I learned one limitation of relying on parry, for instance, is that all the big boss enemies straight up ignore parry, including one level that was pretty much nothing but units that didn't care about parry. That wouldn't be so bad if the game would be nice and inform you of these things in some more obvious form other than some buried tooltip in the rear end end of their UI that you can't check until Mr Demon Shitfucker, whom youve never seen before you dared to step past a corner and have it ambush you, is already balls deep, and also wasn't extremely loving fiddly about Disengage so you can have guys get stuck fighting some fuckoff monstrosity and not being able to do much other than die since there is a small box a foot behind them that is entombing them. One mission had an enemy monster respawn immediately after killed, get a free action at the end of the round, could teleport, then it also got to first at the next round, which was really cheeky and awesome and didn't annoy me much at all when it pasted a dude because of that (turns out the correct solution was to station a rat with Head Shot nearby and stun it repeatedly and turn the whole thing into a bit of a joke). The last mission also featured a manticore that spawned without much warning when I picked up an amulet; my leader got crit and stunned off somewhere else on that turn which sucked but wasn't a big deal. The manticore got an free action at the end of the round, which made it take off into the air, which was an ability that was, uh, unexpected. Next round, it goes first, lands next to my leader, and mulches him.

I don't really mind that they had the capacity to do things like that (although the game doing the dumb "let enemy get two turns in a row when they first spawn because of initiative stupidity" is genuinely boneheaded design), but its really annoying when games do poo poo that does not much else except serve as a big cheap shot once due to lack of information available to the player. It's like a Dungeon and Dragons GM throwing Rust Monsters at unaware guys because ha ha gently caress you guys ha ha i run a hardcore game experience dont you loving forget; it doesn't actually offer much of anything of interest past that point aside from mandating some single precaution to avoid being hosed.

The manticore was also a really lovely boss for this game, as it was a big pile of hitpoints designed to be a big as a pain in the rear end as possible to fight. It was, of course, immune to crits, stunning, and really most anything else you'd care to try to inflict on it since that would trivialize it (so if you have any guys built to do that w h o o p s they're worthless and there was no way at all of knowing this ahead of time (oh and if you withdraw from this fight because you brought the wrong dudes and you're outmatched gently caress you all your guys get injuries (unless you just get the random dramatis persona or whatever dude killed but please don't do that i guess))). So you had to just surround it and beat the poo poo out it for around eight rounds while it poo poo out AoE attacks which you would just take because otherwise it would rend the everliving poo poo out of one dude; there's no way to control what it does because the game lacks any sort of taunt/guard or whatever mechanic or any sort of interesting CC stuff at all. Its an enemy almost designed to highlight all the bad things about the system and none of the redeeming elements. They wanted some big setpeice baddie to fight, the game system actually doesn't cope at all with the idea of that, and they just went gently caress IT GIVE IT A LITERAL THOUSAND HITPOINTS AND IMMUNITY TO EVERYTHING gently caress THE PLAYER.

anyways i played this a lot more than i should have because im a sick idiot who gets sick pleasure of beating up bad AI and never losing a single fight ever. if you want to own, just go frenzy/overpower/mighty charge and whatever increases charge accuracy/crit rate and hit for 300 damage total a turn because you don't have to give a gently caress. also go adrenaline rush/whatever gives bonus crit chance per ranged attack/better reload and use a bow/shuriken and hit like eight loving times a turn for 300 damage again and win the game, because its a badly designed turd that hates you but is also incapable of hurting you because all the AI's mans are too busy running into the mist using careful approach and +initiative buffs on each other in lieu of fighting. you can also build dudes that do other things i guess but actually, don't.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 23, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Mordheim is down to $16 for the sale. Is it worth picking up if I only play single player?

EDIT: I have played the tabletop version, so I'm not a stranger to the game.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 24, 2016

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Nope, not unless you are a serious fan.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
No. Single player consists of doing the same randomly generated missions against the same AI opponents who have zero personality. Same basic tactics apply against every enemy. There are also 'story' missions, but Tiler Kiwi's posts give an idea of how cheap and unfair they are.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That's too bad. Thanks for the warnings.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

They nailed the visuals and the atmosphere but unfortunately stopped there. If they have had an xcom style grid system the game would have been a heap better IMO.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, there are a lot of readability issues with the world because of the system, like "Is there room for me to move past if I put a character here?" or "Is there space to retreat if I attack from this direction?" or "Where can this character actually charge to, if I go into ambush mode here?". I remember screwing myself over in a campaign mission because I left a character too near the bottom of a ladder, which blocked my entire army from moving for a turn. Turn Based games are a lot about planning in advance, and that all goes out of the window when it's so easy to make mistakes like that.

Valkyrie Chronicles gets away with it, and I think that's the sort of style they were aiming for, but there are some key differences. Like in VC, all attacks are ranged, so everyone typically stays nicely spaced apart. Also, VC's levels are all designed to minimize choke points, so you don't get all these traffic jam issues, while Mordheim explictly adds choke points, since chokepoints are one of the only mechanics they have for adding tactical depth.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Shrubs and crouching still wouldn't make this a good game.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is it worth it on sale if I also like multiplayer?

Are they still developing it and stuff?

I want to like this but people keep telling me it's bad :ohdear:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's very bad and basic Jack, don't bother.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Ah well, thanks anyway.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah it's certified Not Good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like it. :shrug:

I wouldn't call it a great game or anything, but I got quite a few hours out of it and had fun playing single player.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Zore posted:

I like it. :shrug:

I wouldn't call it a great game or anything, but I got quite a few hours out of it and had fun playing single player.

Same here. I def think it's worth it on sale.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I just looked, and apparently I have 77 hours in the game. It's hard to recommend it, but I can't deny I enjoyed a lot of my time with it despite its flaws.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have gotten 27 hours out of this game that I thoroughly hate.

I keep playing it though, because i hate myself more.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There's a streamer on Twitch that goes by Tornis that has been taking a deep dive through the game the past few weeks in a bid to squeeze the spectacle out of it by beating it every which way----game being what it is, he's now scraping some ridiculous self-imposed challenge run, after already managing with a less extreme version, to up the lethality of the lot and still aim to prevail.

Also, apparently, he's filed some bug reports with the devs throughout this and had a bit of back and forth such that it looks like there may still be at least one more update, and perhaps another playable faction(DLC seems to be the trend for such) in the works with it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So the new faction turned out to be Undead. Vampires and ghouls and zombies, oh my. :shrug:

I picked this up as part of a Humble Bundle, I think, and it's okay. If you can get it on the cheap and are a fan of the genre, go for it. if not, it's probably skippable. Me, I happen to like the setting and this sort of game so it's a fine time killer for me.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just started playing this, and so far it's actually pretty enjoyable.
The movement bugbears are still an issue, as is figuring out where all your guys are in relation to each other when you get deployed all over the map, because it doesn't seem as if you can get a top down view like you do with tabletop.
Combat is still as swingy as ever because RNGs/Dice are jerks.

But honestly, it's a pretty drat fun game if you like the setting/style of game.
Don't know that I'd recommend buying it outside of a sale though.

Does anyone know if you can play a skirmish game for improving your warband, but do it against steam friends in private matches?
Or is skirmish forever randomised?

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...
Press left shift to get the top-down map view.
Re: Skirmishes, I've not looked into it in too much detail yet but I believe you can certainly set passwords for your games or just invite your steam friends only - either/or - can't remember which it was offhand.

Combat gets more swingy because of the AI bonuses they get to make up for poor performances (difficulty boosts).

I really enjoy it despite all of the problems.
Got a playlist going on my YT channel currently just vs AI matches here if you're interested. Although like yourself I'm still very new to the game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

This game is garbage and you guys are jerks for giving it a shoulder shrug "well, I'm having fun" pass.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

This game is garbage and you guys are jerks for giving it a shoulder shrug "well, I'm having fun" pass.

I wouldn't mind so much but they are FINALLY doing a Necromunda game and it's these devs doing it exactly the same as they did Mordheim :negative:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

A turned based strategy game that isn't mouse driven.

God help us if they make a Necromunda game. It would probably be F11 to fire your gun.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah, it certainly suffers from plenty of problems, but I never had a chance to play the tabletop so I don't really have that comparison to make.
I did play a ton and a half of necromunda 20 years ago though so I'm curious to see how they keep it close to the game I remember.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Been waiting a decade for someone to finally make Necromunda and it's these cocks. Hopefully they've learned their lesson about reinventing the wheel because otherwise there's no hope for it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tehan posted:

Been waiting a decade for someone to finally make Necromunda and it's these cocks. Hopefully they've learned their lesson about reinventing the wheel because otherwise there's no hope for it.

Yeah, I really hope they take a good long look at Battlefleet Gothic and how to make an adaption that's both good and faithful, instead of neither. But chances seem high that they'd just take their existing lovely system and bolt the Necromunda setting on top of it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh no, the Fun Police are in the house. Watch out, if you don't enjoy things exactly the way Mr. Fun Cop here does, he's going to drag you off to work in the Fun Mines. :rolleyes:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's a bad game with bad controls don't trick goons into spending money on this product. It's not even fun police poo poo.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Whenever I hear someone say this, they usually mean "it's not like XCOM".

As it stands, game is a tad jank, but if you can get it on sale there's still fun to be had.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 10, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I had fun with this game and its loving atrocious.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I really hope they take a good long look at Battlefleet Gothic and how to make an adaption that's both good and faithful, instead of neither. But chances seem high that they'd just take their existing lovely system and bolt the Necromunda setting on top of it.

Pretty much seems to be the case

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

matryx posted:

Press left shift to get the top-down map view.
Re: Skirmishes, I've not looked into it in too much detail yet but I believe you can certainly set passwords for your games or just invite your steam friends only - either/or - can't remember which it was offhand.

Combat gets more swingy because of the AI bonuses they get to make up for poor performances (difficulty boosts).

I really enjoy it despite all of the problems.
Got a playlist going on my YT channel currently just vs AI matches here if you're interested. Although like yourself I'm still very new to the game.

Thanks for the info.
The map trick is definitely going to help.

This game could totally do with a tutorial, or at the very least a halfway decent manual (or information about said manual if it exists).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's a bad game with bad controls don't trick goons into spending money on this product. It's not even fun police poo poo.

Hey I just bought this game in the sale, I'm having fun with it, and after catching up on this thread it's pretty funny to see you bitching about WASD controls for over two years like anyone really gives a poo poo. The game is far from perfect but seriously the WASD controls work fine after a few rounds of getting used to them.

Also I've found I have the a lot of fun with the scattered-across-the-map matches as Skaven, particularly against the nuns. Since they're pretty strictly melee and have to run to regroup just as much as you do, you get can get into weird strategic situations where you have to decide whether to keep pounding someone 2 on 1 or try to disengage to base lock with some badass running up to even the odds.

E: like you don't even own or play the game, why are you so butthurt about this GQ?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I did own the game and was fortunate to have gotten the Steam Refund! But, if my dissenting opinion is so grating, I can bow out to the echo chamber. I just feel like every time this thread necros with someone saying, "yeah I had fun.", I need to announce that the game is bad and not worth spending money.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

You played it for less than an hour in 2015, literally what the hell do you know about the state of it right now? And lol at the idea of an echo chamber, literally half the thread is people saying it's bad. But gently caress it, for $12 it was a good deal, and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ok man enjoy your 12 dollar garbage game don't need to defend it to me. lmao are you getting pissy with me because of the lovely RNG?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i had fun at times with this game, but it is deeply, deeply flawed and i would never recommend it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

*feverishly looks up steam info, cross references with SA posts from two years ago* heh...checkmate GC.. what the hell do you know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

*feverishly looks up steam info, cross references with SA posts from two years ago* heh...checkmate GC.. what the hell do you know...

Dude it's a ten page thread, I read it in like an hour, I'm not exactly searching archives here. If you were being honest about playing for less than an hour then you've posted like once for every eight minutes you played.

Over the course of a year and a half.

And I'm the pissed off one. Okay. Sure.

• Locked thread