Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just started playing this, and so far it's actually pretty enjoyable.
The movement bugbears are still an issue, as is figuring out where all your guys are in relation to each other when you get deployed all over the map, because it doesn't seem as if you can get a top down view like you do with tabletop.
Combat is still as swingy as ever because RNGs/Dice are jerks.

But honestly, it's a pretty drat fun game if you like the setting/style of game.
Don't know that I'd recommend buying it outside of a sale though.

Does anyone know if you can play a skirmish game for improving your warband, but do it against steam friends in private matches?
Or is skirmish forever randomised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

matryx posted:

Press left shift to get the top-down map view.
Re: Skirmishes, I've not looked into it in too much detail yet but I believe you can certainly set passwords for your games or just invite your steam friends only - either/or - can't remember which it was offhand.

Combat gets more swingy because of the AI bonuses they get to make up for poor performances (difficulty boosts).

I really enjoy it despite all of the problems.
Got a playlist going on my YT channel currently just vs AI matches here if you're interested. Although like yourself I'm still very new to the game.

Thanks for the info.
The map trick is definitely going to help.

This game could totally do with a tutorial, or at the very least a halfway decent manual (or information about said manual if it exists).

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Meh, it's an okay game so far.
I've played better, I've played worse, I'm not wasting time recommending it (and if someone is dead set on buying it I'll tell them to at least wait until a sale if they want to burn their money).
But holy poo poo it is not so terrible that it deserves a dumb as hell nerd slap fight. Namaste.

In non-nerd fight discussion, yeah the AI is annoying, especially in the early game.
My reiklanders are taking names like champs, while my Sigmar ladies are getting repeatedly hosed up by vampires and ratmen (one death and two arms lost so far - and counting :black101:)
Haven't done much with witch hunters yet, so curious to see how they'll pan out.
The RNG truly is bullshit, but this is equally true for any RNG-based game I've ever played, including XCOM games, or Chaos Gate, or Final Liberation, etc etc.

That map tip is ungodly overpowered in terms of helping the player to find out where to move to kick the AI's rear end in terms of grabbing important locations and/or wyrdstone.
Otherwise the player is left blundering around blind and making assumptions and looking for landmarks. Which is both good (as in it actually makes you feel like you're in a wierd rear end corrupted city and you don't know what the gently caress) and also loving terrible (because situational awareness in a strategy game is kind of a necessary thing :v:).

Tiler Kiwi posted:

positioning is a super easy problem. group up, guard a choke, surround, kill. the AI is relentlessly incompetent and will trickle in, so not much else is needed. the more important thing is knowing the solution to how to level your guys, so you can murder pretty much any regular enemy with two charges or whatever. early game is much harder due to lacking developed dudes.

Yeah this is something I hadn't learned yet, thanks for the tip.
I'm still treating this way too much like the board game, and I totally shouldn't be.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 12, 2017

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Also in sisters of sigmar tutorial, my spell caster got hit with a -99999 spell backlash... Wondering if that's supposed to happen or if the RNG gods were just like "let's show this sucker how bad our game can roll".

The latter.
The RNG in this game can be a real bastard.
I've had 95 to hit before, and it will still roll a 100, just because it can.

If I had to accuse a bunch of lines of code of having a sadistic bastard of a personality, it would be the RNG in this game.
Which is thematically appropriate, given the setting.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kokoro Wish posted:

On the other hand, for the price alot of people are paying, it's a pretty loving fun little game. Sorry to those that wanted XCOM again, but with rats.

Gotta admit though, new XCOM2, but with rats, would be pretty cool.
Still, if you only buy this game on sale, it can be kinda fun for the price.
I've been having fun trying to rescue my reiklanders from being failures recently, after a short run of early game foul ups after my first attempt at the first story mission got mangled by the rat ogre.

• Locked thread