Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are actually a few actors that have made careers out of the fact that they have weird genetic defects that make them look all creepy and weird. There's one guy that basically looks like a goblin.

There is no makeup involved. The guy genuinely looks like that. He isn't an A-list actor but the main thing that gets him work is that his resume includes "looks really loving weird." Apparently in most of his appearances they don't put makeup on him they just put him in front of a camera and that's that. His name is Michael Berryman, by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Berryman

You've probably seen him in at least one movie.

And before he went into acting, he used to be a florist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

the full thing is on youtube if anyone wants to see how deeply bonkers this movie is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE2mlIpyobE&t=7s

It's also Maryam D'abo's first film. And as bonkers as the movie is, the original ending's very bizarre. That should be on youtube as well.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Tobaccrow posted:

My favorite Local58 video is Contingency:

No matter how many times I've sat through that one, I still find something creepy that I missed before. And I might as well post the other Local58, Weather Service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M75VLQuFPrY

Take my hand and we'll go outside and look at him together.....:unsmigghh:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Broadcast intrusions:
The Max Headroom broadcast intrusion was fascinating; it's not exactly all that creepy, but it's interesting that it's one of the very few times a major signal hijacking has gone unsolved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdgAMYjYSs

When you look at the time it happened in, it was pretty creepy. I was one of the people watching when it happened and it was freaky that a broadcast signal could be just broken into like that. Ah, the simpler times before the Internet...

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

So I watched a video about Black Salve last night, and I didn't need to see the After Pictures.

I'll just post the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6sCaKX0niY

And I cannot believe someone might order that stuff online for whatever, and have to wade through tons of pictures of what it does to people and think "Yes I will get this for the cancer I diagnosed in my child, even though I have no medical training".

I recognize some of those after pictures from a thread here some years back. A Goon came across some alternative medicine website where there was a thread asking advice about black salve because the OP was trying a brand she wasn't familiar with. Her picture's the one where the tip of her nose is completely gone and you see septum. Reading the alt-med thread was pretty creepy in it's own right and it says something that it's stuck in my head for so long.

The OP said she noticed she had microcancers on her forehead and nose that she was going to treat with the salve since she didn't want the scarring from the MOHS surgery she said she'd had once before on another microcancer. If anyone's able to find the thread if it's still around, she showed pictures of her face before that the microcancers she saw and they were two barely visible slightly reddish bumps. I've seen mosquito bites that were more visible. She applied the salve in a big swath on her forehead and tip of her nose and when her face swelled to where she could barely open her eyes, she posted on the alt-med forum. Even they were surprised at the degree of swelling, but instead of telling her to clean it off and go to the hospital, they told her to tough it out. When she had agonizing pain from it, they told her to tough it out that it was working. Once the eschars formed and weren't dropping off like they should, their consensus was those microcancers had to be really deep so the salve was taking longer to get all of it out. At some point that thread ended up getting posted around beyond Something Awful and there was a combined Reddit/4chan/Goonrush of people trying to talk sanity and get her to go to the hospital that got shouted down for being Big Pharma shills. What pictures she posted after were she lost a visible dent of skin on her forehead and lost a substantial portion of her nose that then she finally went to a doctor and the verdict was she was going to need reconstruction surgery that she couldn't afford. Her last posts were something along the lines of advising people to not use as much of that brand of black salve like she did and that when she'd use it again, she'd be using smaller amounts.

I remember thinking that there had to be some sort of disordered thinking like with Morgellon's with how these people were looking at these barely noticeable bumps or skin marks and immediately seeing deep rooted cancers.

That thread unnerved me so much that I've always kept it in mind when I hear black salve mentioned so a few years back when I developed a tunnelled abscess in my armpit and was doing the head compress treatment the doctor suggested before we discuss the possibility of surgery, I had a coworker who used to be a licensed nurse recommend I use black salve on it to 'draw out the abscess core' otherwise it'll never heal. Obviously never even planned on using the salve and it did creep me out that someone who was a nurse familiar with medicine actually recommending this crap.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Rhandhali posted:

Don't know if this was her or not but I've had these in my Imgur for a while.

Some people may find them gross so I won't embed them.

https://imgur.com/kVGHokX

https://imgur.com/ffi2Wen

https://imgur.com/7A4mnD1

https://imgur.com/Kb3oF4J

Alternative medicine practitioners are unworthy of life.

Yes, that's her. It's pretty sad in she wanted to avoid any microsurgery scars and ended up with something far worse.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Maybe the nurse meant black ointment? It's a real thing (sometimes called drawing salve) that does draw things like ingrown hairs etc to the surface and isn't dangerous. Obviously one should be careful with wording when recommending such things.

Nah, it wasn't drawing salve. I've used that before and it's something you can get over the counter at Walmart or Walgreens. I even asked if she meant something like Boyle or Prid but apparently that stuff wouldn't be strong enough and for black salve I'd have to order it online.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

He looks like he's freezing. Put a sweater on him!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Ariong posted:

They’re... so small. :smith:

It's as sad as that one skull picture where you see the rows of teeth in the jawbone, then you realize it's a child's skull where they never got thier adult teeth in.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

oh dope posted:

I've always loved this picture. As a child I would spend a lot of time in the occult section the library (before the internet! :corsair:) perusing books on ghosts, cramming my brain with images that would keep me awake at night. I don't believe in ghosts anymore, and it's obvious someone just walked up the stairs during a long exposure, but something about this picture still makes my skin crawl, even though I find it beautiful. The way the arm is invisible and way too long, the black emptiness under the translucent hood, the bent posture, the Escher-esque angle of the staircase, it's all wonderful. It reminds me a lot of a Beksinski pencil drawn piece. I wish I could find a huge print of it to frame and hang.

I liked that one too. My favorite is this one:

As a kid, I also checked out everything on the paranormal I could get my hands on in the library and snap up any book on hauntings or ghosts at the school book sales to the degree it really wouldn't surprise me if my teachers were expecting me to grow up to be a necromancer or something. This picture I've seen claimed to be from multiple locations including Borley Rectory, and I'd love to know something more definitive as to where it's supposed to be from. Back when Fox was airing all the various paranormal real or not shows, this picture popped up as the one they claimed had to be real since the experts were able to debunk all the rest they showed.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

When I was fresh out of college, I bought a kitchen table and chair set at a garage sale. The next day, I was enjoying breakfast at my new table when it suddenly collapsed into sawdust and a few thousand ants came streaming out.

Never buy furniture that has been outdoors.

After one of the buildings in the apartment complex I live in ended up with a bedbug infestation because someone brought in furniture they found by a dumpster, apartment management started including a document stating you agree to not bring in furniture from curbs, roadside or the dumpster with the lease paperwork.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Ariong posted:

Without access to the brain, the motor nerves within the meat are spontaneously firing. I’m not sure why it happens, but it’s a common phenomenon. If you’ve ever heard of a corpse twitching, that’s what that is referring to.

I remember hearing something like if it's been salted it makes for a more visible nerve reaction. There's clips on Youtube of steaks and the like all creeping on the plate.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

This got posted to my Facebook:

It's called a Jenny Haniver. Essentially it's the oldest type of fake known, easily dating back to the 1500s. It's made by modifying the remains of a ray or skate, then mummifying it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Ariong posted:

Although it doesn't really fit with the rest of the series, my favorite LOCAL58 short is Real Sleep. A lot of the others are horror stories where there is some monster or malevolent force trying to lure people in, and that's good, but Real Sleep is something else entirely.

There is a theory that's been kicked around that Real Sleep is another tactic being used by the aliens/malevolent whatever since the other attempts haven't worked. Actual dreamless sleep messes with the mind such as heightening paranoia and decreasing empathy so it would fit if all the attempts to Look at the Moon aren't working then to try another way to make humans kill each other off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I'm more of a thought this has been going on for a long, long time in this world. That each shows a different stage of the invasion, first being direct invasion, second being trying to influance people though tv, then directly though technology in the third. SHow for Children and Skywatching are a educational and a cultists video respectively.

I can totally buy this interpretation. I love Local58 because its not just some random guy filming everything around him and whoa spoooky guy in a hoody! it's all presented through tv shows and such. I think The Sun Vanished is similar in that its just presented as social media posts.

It's been a while since I last read The Sun Vanished. Looks like it's spread to multiple Twitter accounts at this point.

My current theory on Local58 is going from all the uploads at this time, it's definitely aliens/elder things, someone at the station is aware of what's going on and trying to counteract it, and the uploads aren't in chronological order. Using A Look Back as a reference with the style of the logos, Contingency's the earliest one. It's followed by Show for Children. Skywatching, Station ID, Weather Service, A Look Back, You are on the Fastest Available Route. Not 100% on where Real Sleep fits other than the logo style's like Station ID, but the colors are different. Going from the logo styles in comparison to real channel logos, we've yet to see anything from the 50s and the 70s. The mention of 'We send signals to ourselves through their domain. Did we really believe they wouldn't add their own' is our sending broadcast signals to satellites where the aliens are tampering with them before they're sent back to us. Going from the dates shown in Contingency and what was going on in the world around then, the aliens were counting on the population following through. When that didn't happen, they upped their attempts to where at least one of them's on Earth. The mention of 'there are other receivers' is likely they've been tampering on other local channels that we just haven't seen yet. All the moon references is either that's where the aliens are from or have set up base there and weaponizing it.

From what I've seen of this type of creepy broadcast stuff, Local58's the best. Others like Channel7/Tempest Universe try to come close but just don't pull it off in my opinion.