Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My brain was going crazy with deja vu on this one, then I realised an illustrated version of it is used in Darwin's The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals, to show "horror and agony". A little wikipedia walk later, and I found a bunch more. They're apparently from early French neurology/electroshock experiments by a man called Guillaume Duchenne. These particular ones are labelled "facial electrostimulus".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Plethora posted:

I refuse to pretend that this makes sense.

I don't know the history behind this painting but it's haunting and I love it.

I'm struggling to remember the details since I haven't heard the story since I was like 6, but I'm pretty sure this is based on an old Russo-Slavic story about a talking cat. He was tethered to a tree by a golden chain, and when he was on one side of the chain he would sing, and on the other side he would tell stories. An exiled Russian princess gets washed up on his island, and he tells her a bunch of stories -- amongst them is the story of the Firebird, which iirc had something about a blonde brother and a dark-haired brother, and one killed the other in his greed to own the bird?

Like I said, it's been a longass time since I heard that one (and google isn't getting poo poo because apparently Welcome to the Night Vale named a character "Koshka the Cat" and it's all you find now) but those are the details I vaguely remember.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Plethora posted:

Wow, thank you for this! I'll look into it!
Very late reply, but I was talking with my sister about the story, and she remembers the name. It's Canto 1 of Ruslan and Ludmila, by Pushkin.