Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

This was fantastic, thanks for sharing.

If you're ever in Baltimore, you should visit the The American Visionary Art Museum. It's an entire museum of works by self-taught and outsider artists, many of whom have/had mental health issues or just generally strange lives. A lot of the artwork is somewhat creepy and would fit nicely in this thread.

This is my favorite piece in the permanent collection:

It's a self-portrait, carved out of a single tree trunk by an anonymous patient at a British mental hospital in the 50's, and is simultaneously elegant and unnerving. The artist committed suicide not long after.

I went a few weeks ago, and the current exhibit has this installation made by Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips:

Admittedly, art made by a millionaire who makes popular music sort of stretches the definition of outsider art, but it's cool as gently caress. The hanging things behind the teeth are LED strips, which flash in different colors and patterns in time to the weird, drony music that's playing, and everything is reflected by the rounded mirror on the ceiling. You crawl inside, lay down (it's full of this very comfortable but probably pretty gross squishy material), and just sort of zone out. It's like some weird combination of a womb and a spaceship, and it did odd things to my brain.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I've only seen the first one, and while it was pretty good, it's worth noting that they're almost entirely shot with hand-held cameras. While that obviously makes sense for the premise, if you have issues with motion sickness like I do you'll spend about a third to half of the movie with your head between your knees, trying not to puke. I love horror, but found footage is mostly a no-go for me, which drastically cuts down what I can watch :smith:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Mogomra posted:

Like every other story from all three books were super hosed up. I can't understand how they qualify as "kids" books.

Because kids like being scared? Reading those books, for me at least, coincided with reading everything I could find about "true" ghost stories, cryptozoology and the like, and I certainly wasn't the only person in my third grade class who was into that stuff.