Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Germstore posted:

Rekt your argument is.

yoda is a hermit in a shack. where is he supposed to get something other than rags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Germstore posted:

poodoo means fodder not poop; I'm starting to question your credentials

congratulations on being more fluent in some bullshit star wars language, your prize is judgement

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Except Yoda is also supposed to be pretending not to be a Jedi.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

willus posted:

congratulations on being more fluent in some bullshit star wars language, your prize is judgement

Koonyah mahlyass koong! Hoohoohoohoohoohoo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

muscles like this? posted:

Except Yoda is also supposed to be pretending not to be a Jedi.

that's the funniest bit. the last two jedi are hiding but wearing the official jedi uniform.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
in their defence, they at least chose good planets to hide on. who would have thought that an ancient sage who had been living in luxury for god knows how long would go live in a backward rear end swamp, or that obi wan would have gone and hung out on the planet where the biggest failure of his life began

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's the funniest bit. the last two jedi are hiding but wearing the official jedi uniform.

https://youtu.be/Lu9dUG3_KNA?t=1195

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

willus posted:

in their defence, they at least chose good planets to hide on. who would have thought that an ancient sage who had been living in luxury for god knows how long would go live in a backward rear end swamp, or that obi wan would have gone and hung out on the planet where the biggest failure of his life began

i don't know if hiding out on the home planet of your buddy who wants to kill you for being one of the last jedi is the best idea.

i don't think anyone assumed the jedi lived in luxury before the prequels came out because they seemed like ascetic monks in the original flicks based on their philosophy and such.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't know if hiding out on the home planet of your buddy who wants to kill you for being one of the last jedi is the best idea.

i don't think anyone assumed the jedi lived in luxury before the prequels came out because they seemed like ascetic monks in the original flicks based on their philosophy and such.

Makes perfect sense compared to hiding Vader's son on the planet he's from, with his stepbrother and using his last name.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Germstore posted:

Makes perfect sense compared to hiding Vader's son on the planet he's from, with his stepbrother and using his last name.

Maybe it's one of those "the last place you look" ideas. Then again it not as if Luke was ever an active threat until he went looking for destiny, hero-cycle style. As for Yoda there's some nonsense that Dagobah was a planet full of "dark energy" or something, so finding him would be like looking for a faint star in overcast weather.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The prequel trilogy didn't even try to justify why the twins were split up, especially in such an odd way. Leia gets adopted into a noble Alderaan family, which makes sense because she's from a noble Not-Alderaan family, but Luke who is from the same noble family gets stuck on a hell desert planet where he can't even go to Tosche Station without catching static for it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's because Lucas is such a bad writer he felt like he sort of wrote himself into a corner by having both of them raised on Tatooine, and compounded it by thinking it was important to make Owen and Beru literally Luke's aunt and uncle, which really wasn't necessary and doubles the stupidity of putting him on Tatooine.

Even as a kid pre-PT I just assumed they were at most on his mother's side, and probably actually just jedi sympathizers/friends of whoever sent him into hiding rather than him literally being their nephew.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I really doubt Lucas even thought about such things when he was writing Star Wars the first time.

I can buy hiding out on Tatooine (safari autocorrected that for me, which is pretty cool) because it's a big drat universe, even if we only ever visit 5 or 10 planets. And Darth Vader hides the fact that he's Anakin, so spending any significant time there, even a few trips every decade, would raise questions. Really Obi should've raised Luke on Naboo, because that is where everything started. It would make for a better story. Instead that's where Sheev is from.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 9, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Obi-Wan probably hid on Tatooine knowing that Anakin was such an emotional pissbaby that he'd never go back there again due to sad feels

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

That to. Who's a bigger bitch, Anakin or Kylo Ren?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Also I always had as one possible explanation for the "Why not at least change the NAME" thing: We don't get a ton of surnames checked on screen. Could be "Skywalker" is like "Smith." Or "Wong." So why bother?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
luke icky

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
"I wanna adopt the girl, my wife and I always wanted a girl."

"well I'll leave the boy with his aunt and uncle, he deserves to be with his family"

But why didnt the girl also deserve to be with her family? Is it because females are inferior and have smaller brains?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

"I wanna adopt the girl, my wife and I always wanted a girl."

"well I'll leave the boy with his aunt and uncle, he deserves to be with his family"

But why didnt the girl also deserve to be with her family? Is it because females are inferior and have smaller brains?

Lucas made Star Wars in 77 as a stand alone, retrofit the Father and Sibling bits to the story no matter what he says, and the prequels were a mistake since he was already written into a corner and didn't really have any clever flourishes to make us care about the obligatory march towards the status quo already existing in EpIV

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Germstore posted:

I like the theory that Obi-Wan was trying to lure Vader to Tatooine so he could finish him off. It's the sort of thing Vader would insist on doing himself (like Gustavo Fring dealing with Hector Salamanca).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jurgan posted:

I like the theory that Obi-Wan was trying to lure Vader to Tatooine so he could finish him off. It's the sort of thing Vader would insist on doing himself (like Gustavo Fring dealing with Hector Salamanca).

I want to see Alec Guinness do Hector's final crazy-eyes now.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Lucas made Star Wars in 77 as a stand alone, retrofit the Father and Sibling bits to the story no matter what he says, and the prequels were a mistake since he was already written into a corner and didn't really have any clever flourishes to make us care about the obligatory march towards the status quo already existing in EpIV

Vader's real name wasn't mentioned until RotJ, so Lucas could have easily named him Anakin Cloudpuncher or something.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Otisburg posted:

I have no doubt Lucas had ideas for sequels, prequels, etc. In a setting that rich, it's almost impossible not to have ideas popping into your brain all the time. The hard part is paring all the noise down to a coherent story. If you look at the early treatments, it's clearly a mess of random ideas and concepts that didn't fit together, and any claim that he had the whole thing planned from day one is ridiculous.

Otisburg posted:

It's because Lucas is such a bad writer he felt like he sort of wrote himself into a corner by having both of them raised on Tatooine, and compounded it by thinking it was important to make Owen and Beru literally Luke's aunt and uncle, which really wasn't necessary and doubles the stupidity of putting him on Tatooine.

Even as a kid pre-PT I just assumed they were at most on his mother's side, and probably actually just jedi sympathizers/friends of whoever sent him into hiding rather than him literally being their nephew.

For the planet farthest from the bright center of the universe, a lot happens on Tatooine. I am sure I read in some EU source (probably the Official Character Guide) that Owen was actually Obi-Wan's brother.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

As for Yoda there's some nonsense that Dagobah was a planet full of "dark energy" or something, so finding him would be like looking for a faint star in overcast weather.

The dark tree/cave was certainly evil. It and Yoda could cancel each other out, making the place seem like it had no strong Force powers.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In the Star Wars CCG, which all the lore text had to be approved by Lucasfilm, it says Owen is Obi-wans brother.

also I stand by my opinion that Decipher's CCG is the best thing the movies spawned.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
that game made no sense to 12 year old me and I think i attempted to play it once with a cousin, and we just kinda made it up. It was pretty fun then we said gently caress it and fired up the SNES or something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jurgan posted:

The dark tree/cave was certainly evil. It and Yoda could cancel each other out, making the place seem like it had no strong Force powers.

it's dumb as hell. the only time anything is sensed via the force over long distances is when millions of people die in an instant. it's not like the emperor or vader could think really hard and suddenly they sense him from a gagillion light years away.

i think folks just assumed since yoda was on some lovely swamp planet the empire just never got around to going there or even thinking he went there. they assumed this as it's what the movie implies (same with tatooine).

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
does wookipedia recognize that the darth vader in the cave thing a metaphor or has it been explained as some shape shifting thing like the vidoeogame scorpion guy

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 9, 2016

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

does wookipedia recognize that the darth vader in the cave thing a metaphor or has it been explained as some shape shifting thing like the vidoeogame scorpion guy

Star wars is poo poo and you are reading too much into it.

Star Trek, on the other hand, is a deep philosophical journey from The Man Trap all the way to What You Leave Behind.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

My Man Shran posted:

Star wars is poo poo and you are reading too much into it.

Star Trek, on the other hand, is a deep philosophical journey from The Man Trap all the way to What You Leave Behind.

Uhm, I'm not reading too much into it, I'm referencing wookiepedias fascinationautistic compulsion with reading way too much into poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my friend you had to know the answer would be the dumbest way to read it

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Side_Cave

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
jfc of course everyone has been to that cave

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hmmm this thing that's obviously a inner struggle/metaphorical vision is ACTUALLY filled with the spooky dark side THAT's why you see visions.

Germstore posted:

Makes perfect sense compared to hiding Vader's son on the planet he's from

i don't accept the prequels as they are far too inconsistent when compared to the OT (this being a great example) so this is not part of the story in my headcanon.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I found that too and I was like, oh not bad, good job wookipedia, but I was looking at the canon one and not the LEGENDS tab which is something I keep forgetting about, so thank you for reminding me

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Don't go to the EU for answers as it is all cacadookie bullshit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I found that too and I was like, oh not bad, good job wookipedia, but I was looking at the canon one and not the LEGENDS tab which is something I keep forgetting about, so thank you for reminding me

they're both dumb but yeah the legends one is far worse.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the legends thing just became a thing when disney said "gently caress this poo poo" lol.

I am sure glad I found out the story of TK-119 by clicking random article now my enjoyment of a silly 1977 space opera is enhanced

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TK-119

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

"We're all here to decide if the Star Wars Extended Universe remains canon. This could take a while."

"Zombies. The EU has zombies."

"EU is out. I guess everyone can go home early today."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the legends thing just became a thing when disney said "gently caress this poo poo" lol.

I am sure glad I found out the story of TK-119 by clicking random article now my enjoyment of a silly 1977 space opera is enhanced

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TK-119

wookiepedia may want to check up on their canonocity. how could he be a clone when they didn't have the same voice as that guy from the prequels. owned.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's dumb as hell. the only time anything is sensed via the force over long distances is when millions of people die in an instant. it's not like the emperor or vader could think really hard and suddenly they sense him from a gagillion light years away.

i think folks just assumed since yoda was on some lovely swamp planet the empire just never got around to going there or even thinking he went there. they assumed this as it's what the movie implies (same with tatooine).

If that's the case, and it's so easy to hide from the Empire, then why does everyone get so mad when it turns out lots of other Jedi successfully went into hiding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Groovelord Neato posted:

wookiepedia may want to check up on their canonocity. how could he be a clone when they didn't have the same voice as that guy from the prequels. owned.

here is an answer i found by googling why they dont sound the same

quote:

Actually, if I recall correctly, according to Survivor's Quest, Stormtrooper helmets included a mic and speaker system that made all of their voices sound exactly the same. It was such an effective system that Luke and Mara couldn't tell that *very minor Survivor's Quest spoilers* one of the Stormtroopers wasn't human, but a reptilian alien. Now, the reason explained in the book for this is because of the psychological advantage of making your enemies think that they faced an army of faceless clones that was never depleted no matter how hard they fought. The Empire of the Hand needed this advantage because of how few troops they had. Whether the Empire included these mic and speaker systems in their Stormtrooper armor, I don't know. But considering it's well-documented that by the time ANH occurs there are many non-clones in the Stormtrooper corps, it seems likely.

I have no idea what the empire of the hand is

but

its well-documented

• Locked thread