Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The worst part about Traviss is when she decided that the only way for han's daughter to kill her brother that had gone sith was to have her train with Boba loving Fett for the better part of two books because only a MANDO'A can take down a sith. I mean, her uncle is only luke goddamn skywalker, but only boba fett can teach her how to follow a ship and get pushed into vagina dentata by a blind man.

That whole series of books was wet garbage, but reading Traviss's contribution was like finding a dirty diaper while you're at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
In the same stupid series (which deals with another giant war and Han's boy going dark), Traviss also spent most of another book on Boba Fett's daughter dealing with daddy issues and the two of them searching for Boba's long lost love who is frozen in carbonite, but he really loved her this entire time, like hella for reals bae

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
boba fett is a stupid character that only dumb fanboys love, hth

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
boba fett is the johnny five aces of star wars

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Can anyone post Traviss's meltdown when Clone Wars threw out all her poo poo? I don't like her and would get a hearty lol from it.

She pulled that same "force her own opinions front-and-center" thing in the Halo novels she wrote, too. I mean, yeah, I'm reading Halo novels, I shouldn't expect too much, but the Nylund stuff was pretty good, but once Traviss took over the first two novels of her trilogy were 2/3 actually pretty good stuff, and 1/3 making Dr. Halsey (the head researcher in charge of the supersoldier project that created Master Chief et al) miserable and making GBS threads on Halsey and characters telling Halsey how awful she is and Halsey sobbing about what a bad person she is, et cetera and so forth. Because she experimented on kids to make the supersoldiers and Traviss really wants you to know that she doesn't like that, to the point that even the guy that trained them as child soldiers and tazed a bunch of six-year-olds on their first day in the program tells her how disgusted he is with her. I never bothered with the third because it was really creepy how much of a grudge the author had against a fictional character in a bunch of dumb sci-fi novels based on a video game.

I was a diehard bungie fan, posted on the forums for a literal decade, bought all the toys and went to all the midnight releases. I read 3/4 of Traviss's first book, read that 343 was using her as a story consultant, and quit the franchise.

Traviss is awful

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

McPhearson posted:

The entry from her blog when she announced leaving Star Wars is here. I would like to know what exactly they changed that got her so pissed, though.

Traviss depicted Mandos as honor-bound farmers who only fought for noble causes or whatever the gently caress. Basically imagine how white people view native americans and maori and apply that to a race of space nomad people who dress like Boba Fett and live on Nebraska: The Planet. The Clone Wars series depicted mandalore as having a ruling monarchy that was being harassed by dudes dressed like Boba on a planet with high technology and cool looking skyscrapers. It also gave Obi-Wan (JEDI OLIGARCHY!!!) a good love interest and most of the armor-wearing mandos were bad guys who sided with darth maul and his insane brother (seriously) in a later episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chill la Chill posted:

:vince: these Star Wars cards I have with 3D cartoons make sense now. There's a set called night brothers and this lady with an Obi relation in her text.

clone wars is a pretty solid watch if you cherry pick. The last season and a half in particular is pretty solid, lots of vietnam analogues and characters pointing out how stupid the jedi are in the prequels. I followed this guide and was pretty satisfied with what I watched.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you know whats worse. its from this http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_I_Adventures_10:_Festival_of_Warriors. a book for maybe 5 year olds. some fat loving nerd thought that this book needed to be cataloged and its parts and story put into canon. also there is a series of these books and they are all cataloged.

I read these as a kid, they were actually part of a Scholastic monthly thing. The whole thing is basically Jar Jar loving up in increasingly terrible ways as an explanation for his exile from bubble world. Even as a kid I thought it was stupid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
"Hold on honey, let me train for a few months instead of asking my extremely powerful friends to just go with me and rescue you now."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Alien diner Italian guy had a mustache and that was awesome.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

randombattle posted:

You can tell everyone gave up on the prequels.

Just everything that is wrong with the prequels is this image. From the lighting that doesn't match across any of the different elements, to the shadows pasted over the guys walking, to the three guys mst3k'd onto the bottom of the screen.

And people defend this.

I never noticed the dudes in the corner before. How the gently caress does that happen? :psyduck:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Everything we've seen or heard so far has looked pretty good, but sure, why not, let's go ahead and assume the franchise will be ruined in 8 years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I want an amazon print to order service where I can pick and choose my special edition add-ons from a drop down list. "Edit Your Own Star Wars! Blu-Ray Special/Despecialized Edition for neckbearded Internet Whiners"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

quote:

On Imperial starships, officers were encouraged to avoid consuming solid food and drink nutritive beverages instead, because it was more efficient in terms of ship resources and officer time.

The Empire is run by tech startups.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYyuo7gm-aQ

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That just sounds like a man with a sense of humor who's tired of being asked dumb questions.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Vahakyla posted:

Why was there a resistance and a republic at the same time?

First Order and New Republic have a tenuous peace. Leia says "gently caress that", forms a Resistance, and the NR helps them a little on the side. Think Lend-Lease prior to the US entry into WW2.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Probably until they realize residuals from toys alone mean they never have to work again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Rey is not a Mary Sue.

Rey is so afraid of leaving the only life she's ever known that she rejects her "Call to Adventure" three separate times; after escaping Jakku with Finn, refusing Han's offer to join the Falcon crew, and literally running away when Maz tells her to take Anakin's saber. It takes the death of her mentor and the assumed death of her only friend before she finally gives in, accepts her destiny, and takes up the saber.

People keep pointing to her skills with The Falcon as Mary Sue evidence. It's not.

-The in-universe answer: The Falcon has been on Jakku for some time. We know Unkar Platt has made several modifications to it that Han doesn't know about. Rey is simply more knowledgeable about these changes than Han is. Even when Rey "fixes" the Falcon before Han, all she's really done is brute-force a temporary fix. And if we're really comparing Han and Rey's piloting ability, look no further than the two insane hyperspace maneuvers Han pulls off in TFA. "Is that even possible?!" "I never ask that question 'til after I try."

-The real-world answer: ILM is capable of making The Falcon move and fight in ways that were impossible in 1983. Nerds with a lack of imagination interpret the wild maneuvers in TFA as "Rey is a better pilot than Han" instead of "Movie technology is more advanced in 2015".

Rey isn't the instant Jedi people keep insisting either. It takes her three tries to perform a Jedi Mind Trick, something shown in A New Hope and Return of The Jedi as being relatively easy. The only impressive feat she performs in TFA is summoning the lightsaber, and again, this is only after the saber shakes and rumbles for several seconds before flying into her hands. Her fight with Kylo is even easier to explain. He's just taken a crossbow bolt to the gut, his right arm was singed by Finn, and he's an angry emotional wreck after killing his father and being challenged by the two people who've been a thorn in his side the entire movie. He still has the upper hand in his fight with Rey until she calms herself and calls upon The Force (finally). He's also been instructed to bring her alive to his master, so we know that he's isn't swinging for a kill. If the planet hadn't literally crumbled around them, Kylo would likely have bested her in the fight.

But, you know, paying attention to movies takes effort and it's easier to regurgitate clickbait article headlines.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Eh, Luke is established to be a pilot of some sort with a couple of offhand lines ("Yeah, I'm not such a bad pilot myself!" womp rats, etc.). It's tenuous and there's not much to give the impression that anything other than The Force is helping him in the trench run. By comparison, Rey's background (literally scavenging ships to eat) gives her far more credibility for the skills she supposedly pulls out of her rear end.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
But because it's the Millennium Falcon and not some random spaceship, cynical internet trolls feel compelled to defend the piloting ability of a fictional pilot from a previous film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Fojar38 posted:

which is weird because han showed off the sickest moves in the entire franchise in this movie

Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars.

SMG was right all along :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think I'm able to forgive a lot of the truly awful EU poo poo because of nostalgia. I love the ridiculous campy early 90's books and YA novels ("I bid you dark greetings!") because that's what I grew up with. It's absolutely loving terrible in retrospect, but the books are still on my shelf. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I dunno, he kinda has a point. I love TFA, I've seen it three times already, but it's definitely a nostalgia trip. I'm dying to know what Lucas would have done with 7-9.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cthulu Carl posted:

His helmet says 'Born to Ill'

Ill In Peace, bro...

I don't care what the Internet thinks, Ello rules and he had a boss voice.

He's trench-running in heaven now :angel:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

willus posted:

this isn't from wookipedia

this is from the bigger luke wiki

I know in my heart that this must be some elaborate joke, but

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Rebels gets better once they leave Lothal. I found the first couple episodes pretty boring.

Rebels is available on Amazon Video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jurgan posted:

I like the theory that Obi-Wan was trying to lure Vader to Tatooine so he could finish him off. It's the sort of thing Vader would insist on doing himself (like Gustavo Fring dealing with Hector Salamanca).

I want to see Alec Guinness do Hector's final crazy-eyes now.

• Locked thread