Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In the new Star Wars movie, I didn't like how much the Millennium Falcon bumped into poo poo. It felt unrealistic, that a big old spaceship like that could keep smashing into the ground and poo poo and be totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

spacemang_spliff posted:

why did they paint a stormtrooper on the first one, seems like it would be harder to drive. don't those dummies know cool decals go on the back window?

Old video games had problems displaying lots of complex shapes, so rather than model a stormtrooper inside the cockpit and make the glass transparent, they just put an image of the stormtrooper on the front.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

spacemang_spliff posted:

star wars does have good sound effects. bb8 sounds like a keyboard solo

That's something the prequels did right too. The sound of the robot guns pinging off the Gungan shields, the evil THUMPTHUMPTHUMP of the bad guy podracer. lovely movie but the sound was great

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

bunnyofdoom posted:

Did you know.

Cutting a dude in half has a stupid star wars name and a wookieepedia entry that isn't just "cutting someone in half"

Interesting that it's frowned upon. I guess when Obi-Wan got back from Naboo Mace and Yoda probably kept giving him the stink eye for a while

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Groovelord Neato posted:

most of the "nostalgia" stuff is organic to the plot (the holochess is fanservice but not a great deal of the rest). people seem to forget it's a sequel. sequels tend to have callbacks/references to previous events. maybe it's because we had three movies and three decades separating us from the originals.

Dude has a point, all six star wars movies he did are pretty different things. I mean, doesn't change the fact that the prequels were boring poo poo and Force Awakens was a fun space adventure for the whole family, but still

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Phasma just going "ok, you got me. I'll shut down the thing. Grr" was really stupid

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TK-42-1 posted:

Rey's not a Mary Sue because she was trained in all this poo poo before with her dad. When Kylo slaughtered everyone he spared Rey and mind wiped her. Then he stuck her in shithole Jakku and implanted the fear of leaving to keep her there. Kind of like what happened with Revan.

If this isn't true ill eat my own balls.

That's stupid. I hope you have to eat your balls

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Who loving cares if Rey is a Mary Sue or not we have some more important poo poo to deal with.

The one on the right, obviously.

what a stupid thing to ask.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chill la Chill posted:

Ugh don't remind me. I love the meme but inevitably KJA is gonna find it and write. :ohdear:

If they expand on him I hope they do a comic about it instead of a book. Seems like Marvel's got reasonably talented people on their stuff.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I started watching that Clone Wars cartoon. The episode with JarJar is really bad. He comes across as genuinely mentally impaired. It's not just unfunny, it's sad.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Chomp8645 posted:

The weird thing is that there were such ships already. Both the Carrack Cruiser and Lancer Frigate are close in size the rebel's corvette and have been in (EU) cannon forever. FFG obviously don't have any compunction drawing on EU ship designs for X-Wing so I'm guessing the real explanation is that they thought these ships looked goofy and though slapping TIE wings on a tiny star destroyer would be better.

Carrack Cruiser: Imperial General Patrol Craft

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Carrack-class_light_cruiser/Legends

Lancer Frigate: Imperial Anti-Fighter Platform

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lancer-class_frigate/Legends

I can see why they didn't go with those

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What happened to Lando? Did he die between the events of Episodes VI and VII?

They have to save some cameos for the next one

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Lol, I just found out the weird alien X-Wing pilot was named Ello Asty, because JJ Abram demands that every movie he directs feature at least one Beastie Boys reference

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fojar38 posted:

whats the in universe explanation for why all gamorreans are retards

Why wouldn't some alien species be smarter or dumber than others?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The thing that really kills me about wookiepedia is how little they care about reality. I'm watching The Clone Wars and they introduce this new character. He doesn't sound like a voice actor, and he's got a voice that's really distinctive and seems familiar. So I wanna see who played him. I go to the Wookiepedia page, and I have to scroll through the whole drat thing, pages of poo poo about his lightsaber and where he was born, to get to the very last section, "Behind the scenes" and halfway through the first paragraph they finally say he was played by Jon Favreau.

The actual reality of this stuff as things that exist in our world just doesn't matter, they only care about the in-universe minutia.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
lol Greg Proops is in this show.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In the second season of the Clone Wars they do an episode that was Seven Samurai, and then a two-parter that was King Kong.

They ran out of ideas real fast.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bonzo posted:

He's the voice of the Pod Race play by play announcer in Episode 1.

They made him do it in full face makeup, and then decided to make it all CG anyway

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Any fictional calendar can't be anywhere near as stupid as the calendar that was actually used in Revolutionary France.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Wow, link much?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Groovelord Neato posted:

the grey jedi are different than grey areas. we had a character in the originals and in the new movie who were struggling with where they fell, and one even came back.

it's not so much a dichotomy anyway since the dark side is a corruption of the force. the idea is that people are good by default and only something outside could corrupt them.

Yeah, the idea that there should be grey areas in the force is dumb, and misses the entire idea of the force. It's that immature, 14 year old boy going "what if the good guys are bad and the bad guys are good???? this is an amazing new idea!"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

You know who else did nothing wrong?

That's right, the Principality of Zeon.

I think putting all their resources in Newtype research and ridiculous Mobile Armors instead of producing enough Gelgoogs and Doms for everybody was a mistake.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gammatron 64 posted:

I figure at the end of Rebels, she'll fight Vader and loose.

Also I hope Wedge shows up in Rebels because that would be awesome.

They got Billy Dee Williams and James Earl Jones to do voices, maybe they could get the Wedge guy too

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Applewhite posted:

Well canonically she has to be killed at some point prior to the original trilogy because Yoda and Ben are the last surviving Jedi in the galaxy.

Is that ever directly stated? And if so, by someone who would definitely know for sure that was true?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They wouldn't have to just kill Ahsoka, they'd have to kill Ezra and Kanan too. So either there's more than two Jedi, or Rebels ends with everybody dying.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

McPhearson posted:

The guy who played Wedge declined being in TFA because it would have bored him. I don't see him doing anything star wars anytime soon.

They wouldn't need him, just the voice actor. They dubbed over that dude's ridiculous Scottish accent.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xenomrph posted:

You're thinking of someone different, Wedge was technically played by two people in ANH.

Briefing room Wedge was dubbed over, Cockpit Wedge was Denis Lawson and was not dubbed over and went on to play the character in the rest of the movies, and a video game, and I think a couple audiobooks.

Oh hey, you're right. Counting the voice actor, he was played by three different actors in the same movie

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mowglis Haircut posted:

That reminded me, Kit Fisto, the jedi with the long flowing squid dreadlocks, literally has a Jamaican accent in the cartoon. Goddamnit.

He's literally voiced by a Jamaican actor

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I watched two whole goddamn seasons of that Clone Wars show. I saw people talking about there being good episodes and bad episodes, and that's bullshit. There's watchably mediocre episodes and loving dreadful episodes.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Don Tacorleone posted:

I could've told you that from looking at any screenshot, it just looks like poo poo

There's good shows with terrible animation

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Young Freud posted:

Aliens EU had to be rebooted at least twice since the films have overridden them: first was Alien 3, which curtailed the adventures of Newt and Hicks because they died in off-screen in the film, and Prometheus basically rendered the EU's rendition of the Space Jockeys obsolete. I've heard conflicting reports that Aliens Colonial Marines game is now canon, which means Hicks is now alive again for some reason.

The Aliens comics were about Hicks and Newt. After Alien 3, they reprinted some of the comics but with their names changed and Newt's hair changed to brown. So if you go to the store now and buy a copy of Aliens Omnibus Volume 1, it starts off with the adventures of Shnewt and Shicks, and then it gets to the end of the reprinted comics and they switch to just being Newt and Hicks.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's also a Predator comic that came out before Predator 2. Predators invade New York City in their invisible spaceships and Dutch's brother, who is a NYPD officer for some reason, fights them

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

sinking belle posted:

lmfao fun fact Darth Maul is still alive even in the new non-EU canon

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Maul#Legacy

That's not what that say. Leia is feeling his force ghost

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Light Gun Man posted:

Really why isn't there just Ghostbusters: City tv shows like CSI has for like every country by now? Wanna watch me some Ghostbusters: Tokyo.

There is a non-canon sequel to the first Paranormal Activity called Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night. It's hilarious, because as soon as the smallest thing happens they're immediately like, "oh it's a ghost. You have a friend who can talk to ghosts, right? Let's get her in here and sort this out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, exactly, this would fuckin rule. poo poo let's at least get a Ghostbusters VS Jason or something. There's a VS Freddy fan movie, haven't watched it though.

I feel like Ghostbusters is entirely too goddamn attached to it's original cast and I think the tech and the concept works without them. I guess we'll see soon enough though.

Ghostbusters is the cast. The entire movie is the characters and the way they play off each other. Ghostbusters without them is something completely different.

• Locked thread