Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

kotor is the only good thing.

chewie has a moon dropped on him.

my friend has recently got into EU. He is 32 and not really a nerd. wt.f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

gary oldmans diary posted:

is this a "pick 2"

I dunno what that means but I went to his house for the first time in ages and he goes look check this out and revealed an enter shelf of EU and j like lol wtf mate.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

so howcould i play koto2 without apying for it?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

pentyne posted:

The Star Wars EU was a weird beast before the prequels were released. It was just a series of novels that continued the story of the characters from the movies, some pretty good Dark Horse comics (Tales of the Jedi was amazing), short story collections that varied wildly in quality, and weird stuff like Droids.

Then the new movies came out, Lucas went all in with the cash grab, and rather then standalone novels and an odd trilogy here or there it was decided to write a 25 book saga about evil anti-force aliens invading from another galaxy and wrecking everything until a magical deus ex machina solves the whole war and coincidentally references are made to stuff from the prequel movies/books.

I was still following the EU pretty seriously and read about 1/2 of the Vong books, then the bugnest orgy book came out and I just gave up entirely. Apparently there was another 20+ book epic shortly after, and now no one is writing any timeline advancing novels in the Star Wars Legacy(c) because they want the new movies to come out and be able to write "canon" books.

just catching up with this thread, jus marking this post as my bet for where the thread pivots into everybody unironic posting about how some of the EU is actually good.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Willrow Hood decided to take it easy.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

George Lucas made a character named Chewbacca (nickname Chewie), a loner character named Han Solo, a hero character named Luke Skywalker (named after himself), and an evil villain named Darth Vader (darth sounds like dark except with a weird sound on the end, and vader is short for invader).

but B.J. Dart or Darth Insanicus or whatever are somehow beyond the pale. newsflash: they're all loving retarded names springing from the diseased mind of a permanent child. the first two movies were good by accident but they were populated by retarded, one-dimensional stock characters with cringeworthy names and simple, predictable character arcs.

what eveyrone doesn't seem to understand is that Star Wars is Bad. the EU and the prequels are bad because they are 100% Star Wars in every way, and STar Wars is a loving terrible idea. Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back were flukes, and even they were only good, not great. they are very entertaining movies but they aren't great cinema.

Star Wars was ruined because george lucas wouldn't let it die back in the 80s, not because he somehow changed it for the worse. only once you understand this solemn fact can you be relieved of the burden of your disappointment. i dislike Lucas because of the terrible trends he inspired in mainstream cinema, not because he ruined Star Wars. i don't really care about Star Wars per se, and neither should you, if you are an adult

lol just how many Star Wars toys do you own then?

Star Wars OT owns by any measure.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

:siren: WARNING! WARNING! UNIRONIC STAR-WARS EXTENDED UNIVERSE CHAT DETECTED! "YEAH BUT _______ IS PRETTY COOL" LEVELS REACHING DANGEROUS LEVELS! :siren:

I called it ages ago. Gonns can't be trusted. Lock
The thread.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

What's so bad about stuff looking cool. Ships don't have to be areodynamic either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Sombrerotron posted:

What always annoys me about cortosis is that my first exposure to it was Zahn's Vision of the Future, and there's it's described not only as a rare material, but as one that - as dog buttz says - actually causes lightsabers to shut down upon contact. Even so, the material gets damaged by the brief touch of the blade before it disappears; it's not actually lightsaber-proof or even particularly resistant. Yet in everything else I've encountered where cortosis is used, it's just some kind of super-hard substance that lightsabers either can't cut through at all, or at least not without great difficulty. This inconsistency makes me an upset nerd !!
dont get mad about eu stuff cos it even less real than the ot and prequeals.

• Locked thread