Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Applewhite posted:

The droid was actually force sensetive and just as it was heading over to Uncle Owen, it had a premonition of the important events to come and how vital it was that R2 D2 play a part in them. It used its force powers to blow its own motivator.

The EU is so retardedly :spergin: that I don't know what to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
That loving Jedi droid has convinced me that there is no limit to EU content. What other inconceivable poo poo is out there?

Is there a "Post Padme" Vader love story?
Does Leia kill an Emperor clone?
Does Lando ever weild a lighsabre?
Are Star Destroyers post Endore avaliable on the black market?
Is there a third Death Star?
Does IG-88 ever drive around in an AT-ST?
Do Ewoks ever engage in space travel?
Does C3P0 have a love interest?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

So one of those had the hots for 3PO?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Leviathan Song posted:

All of the dumb poo poo is true. Even the dumb poo poo that Blistex thought he made up.

The Vader love interest and IG-88 driving an Imperial walker were the only ones that didn't happen. How about...

Chewbacca's wife and kid(s) die at the hands of the Empire.
Mom Mothma sacrifices herself to save the new republic.
AT-AT's are used (post Endor) as farming implements.
There is a planet of Sith just chilling out during all the movies, then they decide to stir poo poo up.
Darth Vader is cloned and for some inexplicable (yet eye-rolling) reason appears in his suit.
Akbar gets to announce that "it's another trap".
The Empire (post Endor) decides that "insert mythical item" will restore them to power instead of the shitload of ships and men they still have at their disposal.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Jowls McStarfucker

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So basically, whatever you mind can conceive, has actually happened within the realm of the EU.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ugh! How many aspiring Jedis force choked themselves to this?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

HJE-Cobra posted:

Well, here's his page on Wookieepedia

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bren_Derlin

You tell me, I'm not reading all that.

EDIT: This is very thoroughly referenced though

Holy loving poo poo! So anyone who has actually had a spoken line in one of the moves, no matter how brief, has (at the very least) a 15,000 word bio on them?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Does Jabba's monkey have a backstory?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Wolfsheim posted:

Uhhh yeah, the infamous Salacious Crumb has a backstory :rolleyes:

I honestly thought that if there was a character that didn't have a backstory, it would be a loving pet monkey.

How about the big box droid on the Jawa sandcrawler that walks around and goes, "donk", "donk".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

NESguerilla posted:

I'd be willing to bet it has more of a documented back story than many actual accomplished humans.

Adolf Hitler Wiki Page - 12,500 words
Emperor Palpatine Wiki Page - 6,300 words
Emperor Palpatine Wookie Page - 61,800 words

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why is their epoch (the point in time that is "year 1" i.e. Jesus' approximate date of birth for us) the battle of Yavin? It would be one thing if the Emperor declared it year 1 when he took over, or if the Rebels declared it the year 1 when they killed the Emperor and partied with the Ewoks, but to date everything as being before or after a battle in the middle of a war?!

Galactic 9/11?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also do they even need to call it "the new republic?" The Republic existed for like, 10,000 years or more, and then went away for like, less than 25 years, and then it came back. Any senators not rubbed out by Palpatine should still be alive, assuming rich people in Star Wars can afford life-extending medical care. This empire be a tiny little footnote in galactic legislative history, with many people on outer planets barely even noticing any change.

If the Tea Party served a term I'm sure it would be just as disruptive.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Moose King posted:

It's not the in universe date system, it's just what the EU nerds use since its really easy to just compare it to the first movie that's really all there was when the EU stuff started happening.

"So Biggs, only three more years until the Battle of Yavin, huh?"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

burritolingus posted:

Best part is they had the nerve to insert this into Empire's storyline.

Hell, that version is already outdated. Here's the new one.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Woolie Wool posted:

Mara Jade literally spends most of her time in Vector Prime moping about her infected uterus.

Did the emperor give her a Sith yeast infection?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ThePutty posted:

empire at war still had the best space battles in any star wars game ever

Loved this game so much back in the day.

Have your frigates create an AA screen around your heavies until your opponent wastes all his fighters and bombers, then send yours out to take out their capital ship's hangars and shield generators.

also :lol: at the Lobot stuff. If I had to come up with an analogy for EU back-stories for token movie characters it would be how people who "have lived past lives" are always some famous historical figure or someone of importance. Never Roman garbage men or 19th Century paper boys.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SaltLick posted:

the best part about shadows of the empire was xizors sex robot

3P0? :ohdear:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Darth 19.9% interest over 7 years.
Darth Hangnail.
Darth Tablet is giving me a low battery warning and there is still 2 hours left in the trip.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fetus Tree posted:

No loving way. I thought for sure that was fake. Especially when i got to 'moffship'

Jfc

Dude, we've already established that everything has happened in the EU!

I came up with 5-6 insanely improbable scenarios (but not too crazy) and in the next few posts other goons linked to those things actually happening in the EU.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So what was the dinner conversation like on cloud city when Vader captured Han, Leia and Chewy? I'm guessing pretty awkward.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The elephant nose spy in A New Hope. . . is there a wookipedia entry for his race, and are they all known for being imperial informants?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

loving hell!

The Ballsack-face alien that tries to start a fight with Luke at the bar, does he have an extensive back-story, (I'm guessing yes) and if so, are his people known to be prone to starting bar fights?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Bible posted:

What's the epic backstory behind that little roomba droid Chewbacca roared at and scared away? Did Luke build it or something?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MSE-6-series_repair_droid

Who is the character from the original trilogy with the craziest screentime-to-wookipedia ratio. Basically, whoever has the least screentime with the longest Wookipedia article. Bonus points if their wookipedia article is longer than a real-life equivalent Sort of like how the USS Enterprise from Star Trek has a longer Wikipedia article than the USS Enterprise in the US Navy.

Example:

IG-88 the droid bounty hunter gets ~4 seconds of screen time, but has a wookipedia page with 2,840 words.
Dog the Bounty hunter has a show spanning 7 years, but has a wikipedia page with only 1,600 words.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 30, 2015

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Didn't Lucas say that Empire was the weakest of all the movies?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Trevor Hale posted:

And that whole "he should be a pedophile" thing. That was the moment when I realized that Spielberg was a loving hack that got lucky by having things go against him early in his career. Seriously: how poo poo would Jaws have been if he'd be able to use his robot shark as much as he wanted?

The more freedom Spielberg and Lucas were given, the worse their work got. If they started out with the budgets and free-reign they ended their directing careers with, those classics that we loved so much (Star Wars/Indy/ET/Jaws) would have been utterly poo poo.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Is this another, "Rene Auberjonois (Odo) is a holocaust denier" rumour?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Groovelord Neato posted:

Don't forget Lando's copilot.

The one that was the best actor looked like a little Mark Hamill to boot.

Was George a big fan of "Jingle all the way"?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Does force choke count as rape? Asking for a sith.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Do all Corellian males wear the exact same outfit that Han does? I want to know how far down the "every character a race" rabbit-hole goes?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sammus posted:

See: Lando on the millennium falcon.

I assumed he didn't bring a change of clothes. Hell, one guy fleeing cloud city took a loving ice cream maker.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

That was the central computer core and he has his own action figure.

JESUS loving CHRIST!

Even when I make a joke about the most obscure things that you only see for 1/50th of a second in the original trilogy, it turns out there is a billion-word backstory to them.

How about the 4-eyed bear with the piece of poo poo hanging out of his mouth. . . is there some glorious epic about him?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Muftak

Muftak was orphaned at Docking Bay 12 of the Mos Eisley spaceport on Tatooine. He grew up among the cantina's regular, local customers, performing odd jobs to make a living. He always knew that he was different from almost every other race that passed through Mos Eisley, but he couldn't learn who or what he was. He searched out information from his friend, Momaw Nadon, but Nadon had never seen a Talz before.

In time, Muftak found and adopted the abandoned Chadra-Fan female named Kabe, and the two were nearly inseparable. Together they were known as pickpockets and thieves, with Muftak providing the brawn, while Kabe provided the brains.
Just after the Millennium Falcon blasted out of Mos Eisley, Muftak and Kabe decided to rob Jabba Desilijic Tiure's Mos Eisley townhouse, where Mosep Binneed had established the Hutt's treasury and financial headquarters. They were rewarded when they were able to rescue a datadot from Barid Mesoriaam, who was being tortured by Jabba for information on the Rebel Alliance. Muftak and Kabe barely escaped, but were paid 15,000 credits and a pair of travel vouchers signed by Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin. They fled Tatooine, traveling to both Alzoc III and Chad before visiting other planets.
During this time, Muftak wrote his autobiography, Sands in Winter.

The fact that you were even able to find out who that character was means that I now have a much lower opinion of you Fojar.

Instead of me posting pictures of every single extra from the original trilogy I guess I could ask. . . does literally everyone have a backstory? Can I point out (during the emperor's arrival on the death star in ROTJ) the storm trooper in the second last row, 5th from the left (which is actually a matte painting, and not even real actors) and he will literally have his own novella about how he slept in during the battle of endor and his turbolaser cannon (the one defending the entrance to the reactor access tunnel) went unmanned, meaning he single-handedly allowed the rebellion to defeat the empire?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Zahn got retroactively hosed by a lot of the poo poo written after his books came out, so it kind of comes off like the New Republic just forgot about their captured Super Star Destroyer and dozens of massive capital ships and basically get punked by Thrawn with, like, six Star Destroyers.

Now I only read the Thrawn trilogy once (when I was 11 or 12) but I think that was sort of the charm of it, that he was such a great strategic mind that he could pull a victory out of a situation where a regular commander really shouldn't have even tried in the first place.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

sleepy.eyes posted:

All this poo poo makes me really glad I skipped almost everything in the EU. My brother is big into Thrawn, and the one thing I remembered him pointing to as proof of his genius is some poo poo with asteroids. It was something like he cloaked a few and threw them at a shipyard, while giving them transponders. The whole idea was he just left out a couple numbers in the sequence so everyone was flipping out looking for the asteroids they missed while he did whatever the real plan was. Really? The best tactician in the universe is so good he does the whole sheep-with-numbers-painted-on prank?

I sort of liked the simplicity of it and how the rebels would fall for it as, "The empire is a huge bureaucracy, they would totally label it". It's a much better "master plan" than one that relies on "We're building an even bigger super-star-destroyer".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luuuuuuke_Skywalker

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Otisburg posted:

a poster for the new starwar was released yesterday and people are real excited

looks like it's got a death star on it

i just can't get enough death stars.

It would be interesting to see what a Death Star that doesn't get blown up after 10 minutes of use can actually do. It was kicking rear end at the end of ROTJ, and would have pretty much ended the Rebellion during ANH, but both times it gets popped. As long as they don't blow it up in the first movie, and it is a lingering threat, I think it could work.

Then again this is the same guy (JJ Abrams) who essentially recycled Wrath of Khan twice in a row for his two Star Trek movies. I'm expecting things to look and sound beautiful, and the writing to be "meh" like pretty much everything he has ever done.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

IIRC it was blamed on the Rebels who blew up Alderaan in a false-flag operation to try and swing the galaxy's sympathies their way. Galactic Fox News had a field day.

Palpatine lied, Bothans Died!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

McPhearson posted:

Why would they even claim it was a mining ship anyway? I could've sworn that Moff Tarkin destroyed Alderan instead of Dantooine because Dantoonie was too small to make an impression. I took that to mean they destroyed Alderan as a way of saying if you mess with the empire you get blown up.

The Death Star might have been destroyed before the official press conference was issued, so they could have spun it. . . it's loving EU! It's not supposed to make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Read this if you want to spoil the movie.

http://www.filedropper.com/forceawakensscript

I only managed a page before I had to stop.

• Locked thread