Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
is it this?

it might be these guys

could it be this? was this a real character?

actually it's probably this

you might be thinking it's this

trick question nerds, it's actually all of it, it's all terrible :owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Dianetics posted:

Does the fact that I have no idea what any of this stuff is make me a better person than the OP?

reverse trick question, the EU is cool as gently caress, revan forever :owned:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

gohuskies posted:

KOTOR 2 is better than anything outside of (and maybe including?) the original trilogy

agreed, but it's a catch-22 because you have to be familiar with the EU to really appreciate how hard KOTOR2 is trashing it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

babypolis posted:

jesus christ

jesuus christ

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The first person to correctly list the number of times boba fett has fallen into and subsequently escaped the sarlacc wins a prize

the prize is shame

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

and probably Atton Rand (who is extremely angsty and unfunny).

Atton Rand was great. He was a smuggler who was a stupid rear end in a top hat that everybody hated. He was the anti-Han Solo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

No you're completely wrong! Come on now, that's not the reality of the situation at all.

Having spoken lines is not a requirement. Simply appearing in frame somewhere at some time will suffice.

Please post the 20-novel series someone has written about all the guys at the conference table in the first star wars that just kinda awkwardly sat around while vader choked that guy that mouthed off to him, tia

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I can't believe they wasted drew struzan's time with that poo poo

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Happy life day everyone

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Blistex posted:

Does Jabba's monkey have a backstory?

Uhhh yeah, the infamous Salacious Crumb has a backstory :rolleyes:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

gohuskies posted:

It could be made out of cortosis, you know.

I hate that I immediately thought the same thing :negative:

also I don't think lightsabers slide off of each other or whatever the way real swords do so i think it's just to meant look cool, i mean obviously guys

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

What always annoys me about cortosis is that my first exposure to it was Zahn's Vision of the Future, and there's it's described not only as a rare material, but as one that - as dog buttz says - actually causes lightsabers to shut down upon contact. Even so, the material gets damaged by the brief touch of the blade before it disappears; it's not actually lightsaber-proof or even particularly resistant. Yet in everything else I've encountered where cortosis is used, it's just some kind of super-hard substance that lightsabers either can't cut through at all, or at least not without great difficulty. This inconsistency makes me an upset nerd !!

i literally thought it only existed because KOTOR needed a melee weapons tier below 'lightsaber'

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

some people deserve cancer :shrug:

do people get cancer in star wars

surely some EU writer snuck it in somewhere to add grittiness to his dark jedi novels

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

david... posted:

do fans count as eu

It's the same fans who grew up adoring Star Wars that are now creating EU material so yes

Which is why KOTOR2 owns, it was written out of spite

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

burritolingus posted:

The official, canon explanation for this is that Lucas wrote episode 2 over the course of an afternoon and they never went beyond a first draft.

It's kind of mind-blowing that a movie that cost tens of millions of dollars was literally shot using the first pass of a rough draft of the script. I mean, I guess everyone figured they were getting a paycheck and selling a billion toys anyway, so gently caress it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I've always wondered what's the deal with those three random alien guys palpatine is hanging out with in every scene in the prequel. Are they other senators? Do they work for him? Why did he invite them to the space opera? Are they all friends? Is there an EU comic book where they all hang out?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

I wonder if that ridiculous stereotypical drug dealer with the stupid name from Episode II has an EU backstory.

Holy poo poo, I was literally going to mention sleazebaggano after i read otisburg's post :wth:

is this...is this what it's like to meet your soulmate?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ThePutty posted:

can someone explain the u-tsang vong for me or whatever the gently caress they're called because they seem really stupid and nobody has really gone into why

imagine aliens so evil that they're not even dark side, they're anti-the force

and they're so mysterious that they're not just from a remote planet, they're from a different galaxy entirely

also they all look like extras from one of the hellraiser sequels

oh and their ships are made of skin or something??

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I like that they made sure she didn't actually look like she wasn't enjoying it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

IAmThatIs posted:

Real talk though the best thing to come out of Star Wars is Battlefront 1 & 2 :colbert:

battlefront 2 was garbage because it became less about learning to get good at certain classes than it was "the jedi wins"

also the space levels and vehicles were terrible

also they took away the ability to death star planets in galactic conquest mode

also they ruined galactic conquest mode in general

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Well from my point of view the Jedi arrrrnnnnnNNGGGGHHHH

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

homullus posted:

Best part of the EU, or worst? (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJjP2Jsj1g

serious question, was anyone able to see both the title and preview image of this video and still bring yourself to actually click play

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Do most authors operate under a specific canon

Like is the last tycoon an official part of the gatsbyverse or an elseworlds tale or what

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

McPhearson posted:

In ESB they try to recruit Luke to the dark side, but how does that work with the whole only two sith at a time thing? My immersion!:arghfist::mad:

if clone wars is still canon then there's also that bald sith lady kicking around

basically there was zero thought put into it and i think they've tried to retcon it to be a metaphorical rule of two or an honorarium or whatever

btw i started watching the clone wars and it's mostly bad but i've legitimately enjoyed some of the episodes, i've become the very thing i started this thread to make fun of
:negative:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Otisburg posted:

no, you see thrawn did not have the power of battle meditation himself, he employed the services of the clone dark jedi joruus cibath, being sure to keep a bunch of force-voiding space weasels around him at all time (not the kind han solo made love to, a different kind of space weasel) as a hedge should joruus turn on him

From a few pages back, but this is easily the most EU sentence I've ever read. It features a character not in the movies using the secret ultra-powerful Force abilities of a clone of a character not in the movies and using anti-Force powers from a creature not mentioned in the movies that is different from a similar creature Han Solo hosed, and it all takes place inside of a scene in Return of the Jedi. This is peak EU.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Like you could be watching any scene in Star Wars and if the camera moved like one room over you're going to have Boba Fett's Jedi clone fighting Darth Vader's secret apprentice and the little bat guy from the cantina for the fate of the galaxy

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

That monster that grabs Luke in the trash compactor wasn't just some random creature, it was Ancient Jedi Master Striss Goblai, and as soon as he grabbed Luke's leg he realized that he was holding the fate of the galaxy in his tentacle and released him, and also he trained Yoda

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

At first I was relieved that starship troopers tactical realism chat was over but if you nerds are just gonna start talking about battlestar galactica instead then bring on the power armor and unisex showers

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Happy Bear Suit posted:

The dumbest EU moment was when they made the Wampa (the Yeti-looking thing) that got his hand cut of by Luke Skywalker, to be force-sensitive. Then, this Wampa, fuelled by his eternal rage, vowed on a quest of vengeance to destroy Luke Skywalker. His pure Dark-Side hatred caught the attention of Darth D'ooki, who took on this Wampa as his apprentice, and named him Darth One-Hand. And his missing hand got replaced by a lightsaber chainsaw.

That was pretty dumb.

While you're joking, there is an EU story where Luke has to return to Hoth years later for some reason and meets up with that very same wampa, who both remembers him and seeks revenge :angel:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

is robit chicken considered EU?

it's bad enough to be

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I'm still watching the clone wars and it's funny how many characters they use from Episode III, and not just like anakin or whatever but like the random jedi masters who get killed and cody, the clone who shoots at obi wan

it really takes a lot of tension out of the scene when you know that absolutely nothing of consequence will happen to any of the named characters, they've literally had general grievious fight anakin or obi wan half a dozen times thus far for no reason, and conversely the 4-5 times they had some random jedi or soldier show up that wasn't from a movie it's almost guaranteed he'll be dead by the end of that episode

having said that i'm starting to enjoy it despite myself, i really am everything i hate about star wars fans :negative:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

His Wookieepedia entry is over 10,000 words long

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lumpawaroo

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

Probably cheaper and easier to build a protocol droid than an astromech

don't try to justify this poo poo fetus tree

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

dog buttz posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if he did try to prevent him considering if I remember correctly, he had no faith in Vader and pretty much saw him as the ultimate failure.

edit: Also I kinda agree and disagree with you. The way they're shown and described, all the jedi were surrounded by clones when the order was given. However, it would be pretty easy for a Jedi anywhere with civilians to survive considering all you have to do is ditch the clones, ditch the robes, and blend in for a few minutes.

I thought it was pretty hilarious that the Jedi are all unstoppable lightsaber ninjas up to that point and then they all just kinda get shot down effortlessly, and the only one who gets any kind of Force warning or whatever is Yoda

I mean you'd think that one Jedi master guy with the big cone head would have put up more of a fight than lazily blocking one shot with his sword or w/e

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

That's not them, the skeleton army happened to be raiding through the area and Ben+Beru took two out before being captured and dragged off. Empire was framed.

i'm willing to bet there is a literal skeleton race in the EU somewhere

i mean we already have werewolf man and that other cantina guy who was some kind of vampire

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

If you guys turn this into another SMG thread I will lose my poo poo :mad:

Instead can we talk about Savage Opress

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Those immortal Force people showed up on an episode of The Clone Wars. Which was mostly notable for getting Liam Neeson back to voice Qui Gon's force ghost.

I just watched this and thought "Wow that guy is doing a spot-on Liam Neeson impression"

Kinda surprising they got him considering he refused to be a Force ghost for like twenty seconds in Episode III

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Moola posted:

yeah its supes dumb

I think a lot of writers just don't understand how loving big a galaxy is

See also: the entire clone army fighting a galaxy-wide war that lasts several consists of a few million people

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

hahaha i am trying to watch the cartoon series and they got some fuckin jamaican guy to voice kit fisto

it's the guy who voices the bureaucrat in futurama i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Calico Heart posted:

the rogue one concept art looks like they want to do some kind of downbeat loving star was Nam movie

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/star-wars-rogue-one-concept-art-detailed-113776076869.html

fortunate sun crusher

If it ends up literally being Apocalypse Now set in Star Wars then I will officially forgive the prequels, EU and everything else. Bonus points considering Apocalypse Now was originally supposed to be directed by George until he dropped out.

• Locked thread