Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

ahahahaha yessss this has to be because he let Alonso go. Seriously, what a loving dumbass. Of all the things to change around in that shamble of an organization you ditch Alonso of all people instead of, say, Raikkonen? What?

no, the rumors are that mattiaci's appointment was always going to be temporary and that it was meant to groom him for the role di montezemolo held within ferrari (presumably once ferrari is spun off from fiat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

The rumors now are that Mattiaci is being moved away from Ferrari entirely.

that's loving hilarious. ferrari are great. revolving door of mediocre italian businessmen. last time ferrari were good they were run by a frenchman and a brit. hmmmmmmmmmm

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

I didn't see any mention of Lewis' brief conversation with royalty, but I recall it going something like this...

Prince Harry: :tipshat: "Well done, Lewis, you've made Britain proud!"
Lewis: :byodood: "WOOOOOO! CHAMPION!"

Or something to that effect. I tell you, it's as if he were raised on a couch in the slums like an animal.

in the slums like an animal = somewhere inbred gingers aren't worshipped as gods

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Sky sports is reporting that the all conquering McLaren Honda has completed an eye watering 2 laps today.

do you know what testing is for?

i'll give you a hint:

it's testing

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Serperoth posted:

Doing few laps is bad for testing, since you don't do enough to gather data. Obviously, you're gonna have breakdowns or other difficulties, but unless you're specifically testing for "How does the <thing> react to the car only doing very few laps?", it's not good.

lots of things can be tested that don't require the car to be in motion

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

So who is ready for McLaren's big announcement that they're putting off announcing their driver lineup to Jan 1?

maybe they'll announce it along with that new title sponsor

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Magnaflux posted:

I found this interesting read about the trials and tribulations of good lotus / Caterham.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2014/12/01/caterham-f1-team-sold-for-just-1-60/

Some highlights include the worst threads favorite journalist, Joe'S award, the purchase of the team for a staggering $1.60 and various flavors of debts owed from $670 - $1.5 million.

what's so difficult about incorporating one company and having them directly own the F1 team and entry slot?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Selling assets like that for $1 or a nominal amount isn't unusual. It happens in yacht racing a lot when syndicates onsell old boats to other teams.

Kind of odd how Saward was openly commenting on the future of a team that he was involved in at such a level though - I'm not sure what the rules around director's statements in the UK but that can get you into trouble in some places.

joe saward has always come across as just...the biggest piece of poo poo person in F1 journalism

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Like they aren't just going to delay the announcement again.

it's been reported uh loving everywhere that mclaren has a board meeting thursday where the driver choice will be decided

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

Will they also decide on their title sponsor for 2014?

no lego already turned them down

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mega bloks mclaren honda

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mega bloks mclaren hyundai

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pasco posted:

The Suzuka Accident Panel finally released it's findings relating to Bianci's accident:

So basically: A pretty rubbish F1 driver was going too fast in tricky conditions, as he slid off the track he panicked and hosed up even more, with this secondary gently caress up being magnified by the lovely team he drove for making dodgy modifications to the safety features of his car. This all resulted in a meeting of head and tractor at motorway speeds.

Good riddance to Marussia, hopefully any back-markers who replace them will hire competent drivers and engineers, and be able to maintain basic standards of safety on the track.

describing bianchi as rubbish is pretty patently bullshit

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Carbonate posted:

Here is a link to the report.

It's all fairly straight forward, I think. Track drainage is something that I didn't think of, but it's a really good point.

quote:

It is considered fundamentally wrong to try and make an impact between a racing car and a large and heavy vehicle survivable. It is imperative to prevent a car ever hitting the crane and/or the marshals working near it.

whoa

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Your a loving rear end, get out of this thread.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

He crashed into a crane because he lost control due to the fact he was speeding in bad conditions.

That's pretty rubbish.

the current world champion once crashed on pit entry ffs

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HEY AQUALUNG

MAKE A POST

we need to see the aftermath of when that same two-time world champion spun off going too fast in bad conditions and was rescued by a crane instead of being murdered by one

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jon noble and others reporting that the mclaren board meeting has ended without any decision being made

my take: hahahahahahaha

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

my guess is that dennis, who wants magnussen, is stalling to find investors to buy out the current shareholders, who want button. that's the only remotely logical reason i can come up with. there simply has to be some other, bigger decision at stake.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

chippocrates posted:

Why would he want Magnussen over Button? Other than cost, obviously.

perhaps he is more concerned about 2016 than 2015

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

I think he meant more that the FIA should be blaming themselves for not enforcing drivers not slowing down during double waved yellows. Had they enforced that rule from the start, Bianchi wouldn't be in a position to be "going too fast", he wouldn't have crashed/wouldn't have hit the loader/at such a great speed, and he wouldn't be in a coma.

They are race car drivers after all, and race car drivers are children. If you give them an inch they'll take 1000 miles.

this is true. if the responsibility is on the drivers to be safe then all the drivers and marshals will die.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i wish more constructors would enter just as engine suppliers. there would be a lot more real title contenders if you gave teams at the level of force india works engine partnerships. plus they wouldn't stupidly burn away half a billion dollars a year in germany and then quit.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

can we stop saying vag please

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i too am in favor of a VAG entry

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mclaren say no driver decision will be made until next week at the earliest. i assume by "week" they mean "year." jokes aside, i think these discussions have little do with button and magnussen. there is something much bigger going on that needs to be resolved before they can move forward with their drivers.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mclaren aren't going to sign a sponsor until they start winning again bc otherwise no one will give them the money dennis thinks the team deserves. it's a matter of sponsors wanting to pay for mclaren 2014 and dennis charging for mclaren 1966-future. it's pretty simple.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

yeah from what i heard a bunch of potential title sponsors walked away because lol good luck with that asking price

also, knowing ron dennis, he's not going to accept an offer from just any company. so if you look back at the rumors from the beginning of the year, perhaps sony was in play, but they didn't offer enough money. and perhaps rakuten offered enough, but ron dennis didn't want to be sponsored by a random japanese retailer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't understand this but whatever.

what don't you understand?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Its worth noting that it has been mentioned in a few places that Martini approached McLaren before they went to Williams. McLaren's asking price was supposedly so ridiculous that they decided to go with a team that almost didn't score any points last year.

martini pays williams $15m, which is less than the $20m mclaren receives from johnnie walker. vodafone were paying mclaren $75m yearly. imagine the kind of the money sap and mobil pay and you'll start to understand why mclaren are able to wait on signing a title sponsor.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

McLaren wants a certain amount money and who cares where it comes from.

ron dennis cares and you clearly don't "get" ron dennis

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ron dennis is a man who specifically requested a size of tile for the MTC floors so they wouldn't have to cut any to fit and would have full-size tiles everywhere. imagine how he'd feel with the wal-mart logo on the front of that building.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

as a child ron dennis slept with the vacuum cleaner next to his bed so he could make his room perfectly neat as soon as he awoke

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

these aren't like stig-esque tall tales this is real loving life

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

That is fantastic. Is there a place that gathers similar Ron anecdotes?

idk just read an autism forum and substitute names as necessary

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

here's kind of some more: http://strategy14.com/learning_from_ron_dennis_mclaren/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm imagining a Ken Burns documentary about McLaren with Shelby Foote recanting many tales of Ron Dennis being an insufferable dick.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm imagining a Ken Burns documentary about McLaren with Shelby Foote recanting many tales of Ron Dennis being an insufferable dick.

i'm still very tickled by this tbh

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it's p funny that nico is like eight times better than keke but will never win a title

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Party Boat posted:

The best thing about the wiki page for the 2015 season is the massive slapfight about whether there should be a German flag next to the entry for the German grand prix

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:2015_Formula_One_season#German_Flag_for_German_GP

i used to think i knew a lot about melting down. now i'm not so sure. back to the drawing board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

It's just so utterly unimportant that I can't comprehend the mindset where you have an online slapfight about it.
I personally agree with the guy who thinks there should be a flag, but if I was in his shoes I'd just roll my eyes at the first revert and go do something actually interesting.

i do admire the fact that a bunch of adult children sat in their basements and voted on rules for an internet encyclopedia and now those rules are law and they defend them with that much tenacity. i've never cared about anything so much.

• Locked thread