Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Remember when Alonso used to do like a sort of crab pincer move with both hands during a cool down lap after a win? I hope we see that 20 times next season.

Edit - Ralf must have made some wise investments. I know he made big bucks for a few years but thats a nice fortune he seems to have amassed.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Didn't he recently predict that Alonso would make an announcement regarding Mclaren at like Monza or something?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Whatever you internet monkey bottom feeder.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
That is one thin skinned journalist.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
So who was the driver of the season? The 3 most obvious candidates have to be Alonso, Ricciardo and Hamilton and I'd probably put them in that order.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I cant see why it would be easier to look at some calculator screen instead of the tyres, the helmet and the livery. Maybe if you were a total F1 novice, but there is only 20 odd guys out there...

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
For me its hardly an amazing feat that Hamilton beat Rosberg. In fact I think it reflects pretty poorly on Hamilton on how close Rosberg was able to run him. When has Nico ever been considered top tier?

That's what makes Ricciardo and Alonso's seasons more impressive to me. Both totally smashed world class team mates.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
All we need now is the dumbass rule on lapped cars behind the safety car to be changed.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/2014-model-based-driver-rankings/

Interesting article. I like it most because it shows Alonso is on the level of 90's Schumacher relative to their competitors.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

autism chariot posted:

Unfortunately, this is the same guy who rated Senna 19th out of 60, behind such fantastic drivers as Heinz Harald Frentzen and Jochen Rindt. He also rated Jacques Villeneuve above Gilles, by a wide margin. Also Mikka Hakkinen was 56th.

In short, his modelling is poo poo.

Ok it had some 'misses' with guys like Senna and Nico Rosberg, probably related to the large number of crap team mates Senna had and Rosberg beating Schumacher - but its not like the model is way way off. Clark, Stewart, Alonso, Schumacher, and Fangio is a pretty reasonable top 5. Its not perfect but as a tool to go along with conventional wisdom its not bad.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
300kmh+ apex speeds, not bad.

Also the Robbie Williams F1 video is like 10,000 times better sorry.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I'd say greatest since the original Martin Luther even.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Thank gently caress Andrea Stella is going to Mclaren. Can you imagine radio transmissions to Alonso that aren't in a thick Italian accent? Would be absurd.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I wouldn't say Alonso (or anyone really) 'likes' understeer, but he won two championships in a car famous for it.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
He's also pretty good at slamming glasses of water on the table.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I like how Joes Award can't get through a few sentences about Abu Dhabi without name dropping like every single Brit involved with construction there.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Were are these rumours about locked in syndrome coming from? They are at odds with what Kehm and even Streiff are saying. Long and hard road to recovery sounds quite a lot better if the alternative is can't move anything at all.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Might see you there PalaNIN. Haven't booked anything yet though. Was good in 12 and 14. In terms of bang for your buck no other grand prix comes close.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I dont get why the FIA thinks its a good idea to take a hard line with Honda on the engine rules. Doesn't look good to other manufacturers thinking of joining.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Reminder than Senna ruined Derek Warwick's career because he felt threatened, Brundle got booted from Benetton for the same reason under pressure from Schumacher.

Schumacher who had about 15-20 races under his belt when Brundles contract negotiations rolled round? Im sure he had a lot of clout with the team.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The only thing I want from this season is Mercedes too make some massive missteps on the aero which they try to gently caress around with for two thirds of the season because their wind tunnel said it was good poo poo. Probably the only way they wont end up dominating again.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Think I'll take Joes Awards word over some internet monkey typewriter publication thx. The Quantum money is going to Lotus.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Ferrari targeting a massive 2 race wins for the season. How the mighty have fallen :(

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
You know what kind of people set average as their target? Losers

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Wow Newey claiming Redbull are only expecting a couple of wins for the season. Shows how much better the Merc engines are when the guys who have been smashing everyone for years aren't even expecting a championship run.

gently caress this engine formula :(

Edit - 09:15 Rosberg improves again on his next lap. He's beaten the best time of the entire four-day Jerez test last year (Kevin Magnussen's 1m23.276s) by 0.170s in just 11 laps... Meanwhile Sainz is now off the mark - third fastest on a 1m26.081s.

...oh great! :smithicide:

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 1, 2015

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

poty posted:

After the testing so far I think it's fair to congratulate Lewis on his third and look forward to 2016

loving this...

Edit - Seriously can someone suggest to Bernie that we just award it to Lewis before the season starts and force every team to use their early 2016 designs.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Seriously, just allow proper B teams, customer cars and all.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117629

Another of the Redbull brass essentially admitting they have no chance, before the season has even started...

I especially like where he says they might be in with a chance if Renault could reduce the horsepower deficit to only 40 or 50.

I supect its going to be a very long year if your not a Hamilton fan.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Ummm hey guys - If title sponsors are no longer a real thing then how have Ferrari had Scuderia for so long?

Also that Foxtel deal loving sucks and now we know how you Brits felt a couple of years ago. Cant believe they managed to rush it in for 2015.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I havent had an Autosport sub in a while, but I remember the articles generally being pretty shite. The analysis always seemed way too simplistic.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Mclaren Honda have strung together a 12 lap run so far today, with a reasonable best lap. Yay progress!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Not sure if your taking the piss or what. Schumi won the 94 championship because he was head and shoulders better then anyone else that season, and for about the next ten seasons really. Don't give me any bullshit about Hakkinen who had frequent problems beating DC of all people.

90's Schumacher was about the theoretical equivalent of Alonso vs a grid full of Nelson Piquet Jrs.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Photographers say it was a slow impact. Maybe an odd angle has given his back a bit of a jolt, but atleast it doesn't sound too bad.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I wonder if turned into is the direct translation. Makes it sound like Alonso realized it was all too much for him to get the piece of poo poo Mclaren on the podium and decided to end it all.

Edit ^^ Doh beaten.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
An update from McLaren: According to the team, the G-Force measuring 'alarm' was triggered during the crash, hence Fernando being taken to hospital. There's no word on whether he has suffered any injuries or not, but the team have repeated that he was concious upon his arrival at the medical centre and talking to the doctors.

Eric Boullier, the McLaren team boss, has also told us that there was very little damage done to the MP4-30 so they may run again today - Jenson Button was scheduled to be in the car this afternoon even before Alonso's accident.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Think they only ever bring 1 car to the tests.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Looks like Alonso will be spending a third night in hospital. The official Mclaren version seemed reasonable enough at first, but I am starting to wonder. Either there's more too it or Alonso got an incredibly unlucky impact. I know it was side on but its not like those are extremely rare in F1.

Edit - At the very least they really downplayed the extent of his injury. Tweets after the incident said he was uninjured and fine!

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 25, 2015

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I cant understand why they are saying both 'hes totally fine, not a scratch on him! Tip top shape!' and 'well were not totally sure if he will be ready to go racing almost 4 weeks after the pretty minor accident...'

Like if they are 99.99999% sure Alonso is fine, just loving say 'Yep he'll be there for Melbourne GP!'. At the rate Mclaren are going it will be a very short race anyway.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

they're done for the day, hydraulic leak forcing them to change the whole engine. seven laps. how the gently caress are these problems not found out in stationary testing? it seems like they never even turned the thing on.

Bravo. That's what probably a dozen actual racing speed laps they've managed then in 9 days of testing. Way over a lap a day! They are thrice as hosed as Redbull were this time last year with only 2 cars to get any mileage with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I know Jorda joining Lotus is supposed to be sending a positive message out to young girl racers, but is it really the case? I think even kids would quickly be able to determine that she is not in the programme because she is a good driver. The message actually seems to be if your smoking hot and have the right connections then doors will open for you. Sadly thats most of life I suppose. But is it a good idea to reinforce it to young girls?

• Locked thread