Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Falken posted:

It's nice that Ferrari are well and truly back to their pre Schumacher/Brawn/Todt ways. They really ought to paint the cars a darker red and paint the wings black.

Remember how long it took with Schumacher.

Nobody will remember, though, and bitch that they don't win the Championship in their first season. I wasn't exactly a fan of Schumacher and Ferrari in 1996 and I prayed that the days I feared would never come, but I knew they would, and (Schuey busting his leg aside, think he would have taken '99 otherwise) but it still took five seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I think the last thing F1 needs at the moment is dogshit Ferrari, as amusing as they are.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

nsaP posted:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/22058/9538348/what-was-said-when-lewis-hamilton-quit-mclaren-to-join-mercedes

I won't quote all the best so others can find their favorites, but this one I liked

“Without doubt Hamilton's move is a gamble, especially given his long-stated ambition to win multiple world titles. But with only one in five years at McLaren - likely to be six - and that back in 2008, he must now feel a change is required. For McLaren, losing their big-name star will hurt, but in Perez they are recruiting a potential future world champion” – Ann Gripper, Daily Mirror.

Good old Joe Saward.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

AgentJotun posted:

Didn't he recently predict that Alonso would make an announcement regarding Mclaren at like Monza or something?

What you don't understand is that HE ATTENDS THE RACES. He GETS TO PEOPLE NOBODY ELSE CAN. He's NOT SOME RANDOM INTERNET PERSON. He HAS CONNECTIONS.

Joe Saward makes me wonder if someone cloned Graham Linehan and made him an F1 journalist. He's such an unbearably pompous thin-skinned prick.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Mattiaci was essentially a good, effective guy but F1 hosed him. Shame.

I get the impression he was a competent manager whose only weakness was being no respecter of reputation.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116930

Sulman fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 25, 2014

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

CratSock posted:

I'll write an intro for someone.

I can't wait to see Vettel in a terribly slow Ferrari, without Horner there to hold his hand and defend him when he acts like a spoiled brat. Kimi won't let him get away with poo poo, Iceman will run him off the circuit.

Kimi may struggle against Vettel's secret weapon, known to insiders as 'work ethic'.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Stonking bit of journalism from Motorsport Magazine - the Mattiacci/Alonso/Vettel story. http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/ferrari-in-2014/

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That was a pretty interesting story that I saw on the History Channel back in the day. The Russians basically held hostage a couple B29 crews that emergency landed in Russia for like half the war because they wanted to study their planes. They didn't have SAE tooling to produce the 1/16" (or whatever) aluminum skin for it so they had to vary the thickness of the skin on the plane between 1 and 2mm sheets (or whatever).

There is a story about the incorrectly machined rivet holes being duplicated, I don't know whether it's true or not.

Buran is interesting; due to political pressure the outline design was copied, but systems-wise it was loving awesome. It had an escape system (the Russians weren't convinced the Shuttle did this right) and the Energiya stack was all liquid fuel.

The cost unfortunately was utterly prohibitive, but it made a fascinating companion to the STS programme.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Riso posted:

That is fantastic. Is there a place that gathers similar Ron anecdotes?

I seem to remember something about flathead screws having their heads facing the same direction, too. It may have been Dave Richards talking about Ron.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

According to bullshitter Benson's Twitter account, Jock Clear is going to Ferrari.

Not particularly revelatory, but does this mean Ferrari are starting to recruit more foreign talent again?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Dubs posted:

should have started with drivers

Well-known Italians Kimi Raikonnen and Seb Vettel?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

simplefish posted:

"Michael Schumacher's Brother"

I laughed heartily. That's normally the treatment reserved for celebrity wives.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

"Old lovers".

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

El Hefe posted:

lol is that an official thing?

It's from McLaren's Google+ account.

And now you've made me admit I use google+

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

the RA107 owned bones too and idk how people hated it

I think it was someone in the worst thread that coined that livery 'turtle ejaculate'.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

He was livid. He considered that the team's prize.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Last season being my first, Sauber is a completely anonymous team to me. At least Pastor gives Lotus some personality.

They used to be the team with the rep of being great talent scouts and doing a lot with limited resources. Last year was utterly embarrassing.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Also their drivers were really bad.

I expected more of Sutil. He ought to have at least been good for some points.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Even if Manor manage to get to the first race, where would they go from there? A couple of 2014 chassis and a handful of staff. What's the point?

http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117395/marussia-seeks-11th-hour-rescue-deal

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

All this talk of Williams and not one lurid comment about Claire? We're...evolving.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Sebastian Vettel posted:

I started watching in 1994 so I've always had a soft spot for the early 90s Ferrari livery before they added too much white.

For me the biggest change was that strange burnt orange in 1997.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

AgentJotun posted:

Schumacher who had about 15-20 races under his belt when Brundles contract negotiations rolled round? Im sure he had a lot of clout with the team.

I thought It was Briatore that sacked Brundle, then lamented it because he didn't realise how quick he was. Patrese was thought to be useful to develop their active suspension but he actually hated it, even at Williams.

In summary, Briatore is an idiot.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

Bring back refueling but make sure it's not mandatory. Create some ultra hard sets of tires that can last an entire race but not at the expense of tire changes entirely.

They'll spend a fortune on teams of people running HPC clusters to work out which strategy is best for races six months down the line, because F1 is stupid.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

That FI car looks miles better.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

That's the nicest looking Ferrari in a while.

Let's hope it's competitive, for the sake of the season and the sweet tears in this thread.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What's with the unpainted or black bodywork at the rear nowadays? Is it just a heat thing?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I'm Crap posted:

that Modena (?) is pretty slick looking though

Yep it was a Lamborghini project in all but name. They had a rocky time of it and deserved to do a lot better.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Sauber clocking in some encouraging times.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

Do you prefer smoked or unsmoked bacon?

Yeah, yeah, I know it's testing, but you can draw some things from it - they're not dog slow, for instance.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Last year's figures, for comparison.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Gmaz posted:

Vettel fastest on track currently. N... no.. NO... NOOOOOOOOo

LOL and Fernando is poodling around in his McLaren tractor, wondering where it all went wrong.

Joking aside, I wouldn't worry too much. Pirelli said they'd be much faster this year and I'm sure times will continue to tumble.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Mercedes doing 150ish laps is a bit ominous, but the times look closer this year across the top runners, which is encouraging. There were big gaps this time last year.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I just had a quick look at the Reddit thread. Jesus wept, never again. I have never seen such an idiotic bunch of F1 people, and I used to moderate a board with some actual retards.

It's all weird fanboys that write as if they started watching last year.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Rumour here that Force India are in the poo poo: https://translate.googleusercontent...8_bZyhiaB_6WfUg

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

More worryingly, hasn't Ron effectively admitted that F1 is spending well outside of its means?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

I see Vettel is still bent on making a point.

These cars are, what, nearly 5 seconds faster?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

craig scarborough did a video series on youtube with peter windsor where he analyzes all the new chassis. apparently the sauber is basically just their 2014 car with the simplest, cheapest nose that fits the new regulations. that's p sad.

I think they said they did a lot of work with internals.

This is how it used to be, though. No shame in cheap iterations of older cars. F1 has been a bit daft about this for years.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

RALF posted:

Another good day for The Scud. Looks like the title fight's gonna be between Ferrari and Sauber this year.

I'm trying to make sense of that because last year Sauber were nowhere at Jerez, and this is ostensibly the same car. Presumably even if they were running light it can't be that bad; I'd assume they would have tried the same thing in 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

simble posted:

Are there any current liveries that people in this thread actually like? You're all the worst. gently caress all of you.

Don't let appearances fool you. This is the greatest F1 forum on the internet.

• Locked thread