Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sulman posted:

I think the last thing F1 needs at the moment is dogshit Ferrari, as amusing as they are.

Too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

nsaP posted:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/22058/9538348/what-was-said-when-lewis-hamilton-quit-mclaren-to-join-mercedes

I won't quote all the best so others can find their favorites, but this one I liked

“Without doubt Hamilton's move is a gamble, especially given his long-stated ambition to win multiple world titles. But with only one in five years at McLaren - likely to be six - and that back in 2008, he must now feel a change is required. For McLaren, losing their big-name star will hurt, but in Perez they are recruiting a potential future world champion” – Ann Gripper, Daily Mirror.

“Lewis Hamilton does not know much about racing history and so cannot learn from the mistakes of others. Perhaps he thinks that if it fails he will at least have the consolation of earning loads more money and being a bigger star, thanks to his hustling management that will sell his image here, there and everywhere. That might make him an international celebrity on a bigger scale than he is, but it will not make him a racing legend. Perhaps Mercedes will pull it off and then Hamilton will look clever, but I fear that this will be a move similar to James Hunt joining Wolf; Emerson Fittipaldi joining Fittipaldi, Jacques Villeneuve moving to BAR or Niki Lauda’s ill-fated move to Brabham. History relates that you do not leave a winning team in F1 unless it is to go to another proven winner…” - JJoc*

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'd do it and do it with all the dignity my driver deserves

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Flayer posted:

I'll do a bio. Fingers crossed for some random unknown with no history.

We can't all get Vettel

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sashimi posted:

The drivers for any of the following teams should be given honourary MWDCs for putting up with such awful cars all year: Caterham, Marussia, and Lotus. Sauber don't count because they still somehow managed to be even worse than a team that couldn't show up for the last races of the season.

Not Our Jenson?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dudley posted:

HeikkiBahrain.jpg

(Which irritatingly I can't find, anyone got?)

Also:

When I think muscle, I think Hamilton

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HJB posted:

The lad's a four-time champion yet looks completely overawed by the whole thing.

To be fair he did used to work in Milton Keynes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

JingleBells posted:

DHR in #f1 pointed out it's in championship order too which is quite snazzy. No Caterham or Marussia ones - presumably the gloves are assets which could be sold

Also if he didn't get one from Bianchi...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225_Mriya , pity there's only one

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The FIA has released their report on Bianchi's crash - two important points being that Bianchi didn't lift as much as he should have during the double waved yellows, and that Marussia's design of their breaks made the failsafe (that applying the breaks and accelerator full on, together means that only the breaks get engaged) not work for Bianchi's car.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Late 2001 Minardi had Fernando Alonso and Alex Yoong, which seriously might be the greatest disparity in teammate quality in F1 history.

Our Dan vs the Fraud???

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

drgitlin posted:

I actually can't work out why Button wants to stay. McLaren have built complete dogs the last few years, and failed dismally to develop them over the season so they're even worse by year's end. Add that to a new engine and I'd be surprised if they manage to finish 5th next year.

Button seems to actually like challenges, he actively chose to go up against Hamilton the year after his WDC knowing full well everyone thought Hamilton would destroy him - but he didn't. Now he gets to go up against Alonso, the other guy rated as highly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

In his defence though, no decent drivers have come up from smaller teams for a LONG time. Vettel was the last person to progress from a crap team to a good one with any real results. Everyone else who has been given the opportunity has been dogshit.

There have lots of people who haven't been given the opportunity and may well be good - JEV, for example. And they just aren't being given a chance - there's only been two drivers from inside the sport that have moved to McLaren/Merc/Ferrari at the start of the season having not won the world championship in at least the last 5 years, more for McLaren and Ferrari (if you don't count in-season changes to deal with Kimi sulking and Massa getting whapped in the head) - and they've been Nico Rosberg (when Merc wasn't very good) and Perez, who was immediately out on his arse for KMag.

Hamilton, Button, Raikkonen, Alonso and Vettel have been around forever and until they all retire (which in the case of Button, Raikkonen and Alonso will probably be pretty soon) there's just not enough seats at the top teams that can open up.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Alain Post posted:

I reckon Ryan Hunter-Reay has WDC-level talent.

Specifically Vettel

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Whitey Ford posted:

Which team is he infecting now?

He's gone back to Australia

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Button didnt, and I will always hate that fact!

That was the year that Ryan Giggs completely inexplicably won it, right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Alain Post posted:

We'd be saying "Sebastian Who?" for sure.

Don't you mock Bourdais

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

gret posted:

That's Sebastien. Not Sebastian.

I'm never defending Bourdais again

Imagine I said "Don't you mock Buemi" above :mad:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toro Rosso needs to up its game significantly, there's been a significant Sebastian gap in the last 3 years.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I got a Lego F1 car for christmas, the thing's two feet long. It's fantastic.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ukle posted:

I would be surprised if it is, given a lot of people idiots would think they are copying Ferrari.

Sounds quite appropriate to be honest

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

simplefish posted:

I've never heard anything about a ruling like that.

There was something about n° cars and engine limits

That was number of races.

The "number of cars" thing is that there is a gap between "Minimum number of cars such that the tracks keep the same contracts" and "Minimum number of cars to force teams to run 3 cars to up the numbers"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

poopzilla posted:

That Ferrari looks like a winner. WDC # 2 for Kimi incoming.

Yeah but who's going to actually win the title?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

keevo posted:

You don't think Vettel the Fraud would demand that the car be designed around him?

You think Ferrari are capable of reliably doing that?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RALF posted:

Wouldn't it be even more effective if the whole car was asphalt colored (serious but stupid question)?

You could still see details clearly, the point with dazzle camo is that there's so many random bits of lines and shapes going everywhere it's difficult to tell which bits are actually features of the thing and which bits are just paint.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 1, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

POCKET CHOMP posted:

What does #SizeZeroF1Car mean, please explain to me Wicka or somebody thank you.

Based on a look at McLaren's twitter it's because the car has a fairly small profile?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah,

quote:

"Dennis has been waxing rhapsodic about the quality of design and workmanship on the new MP4-30. 'The rear bodywork of our car has been brilliantly shrink-wrapped around a fantastically advanced and incredibly compact Honda power unit,' he said. 'We've even invented a new phrase to describe its design philosophy - the size-zero F1 car.'

(Boullier)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

NtotheTC posted:

Remind me again what happened the last time the Italians and Germans joined forces?

Vettel won a race at Toro Rosso?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

I think if that happened then both Alonso and Vettel would give up. Button would also retire. Leaving F1's future in the hands of Rickydickydongo and some kids with pube-beards.

One of the pube beards won last year's WDC so

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Button WDC guaranteed

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

running over double the mileage of anyone else on the first day of testing is the opposite of sandbagging

"Going a long way but slowly" is sandbagging in a speed based sport

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

i don't think you know what sandbagging means

Deliberately hiding your ability, in this case only going pretty fast not very fast?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RALF posted:

Jean Alesi
Eddie Irvine
Takuma Sato
Felipe Massa
Vitaly Petrov
Pastor Maldonado

Seb Vettel

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

I feel let down that Heikki Kovalainen was mentioned without someone posting fastheikki.jpg

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I've seen this a few times - what was actually happening. Did he cock it up and exit stage left at great pace?

Yeah, he didn't take the corner but hit the speed trap.

Heikki was the best driver by a factor >2

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

krushgroove posted:

At least it's not as extreme as the TV rights for Premiere League football - £10mil PER GAME going to the Football Association, I have no idea how the broadcasters will even make money at that price. And the FA has the same problems with lower league teams that FOM does with distributing money to lower teams, but it's multiplied by dozens (hundreds?) of small teams.

The FA doesn't have the same problem - because the money isn't going to the FA, it's going to the Premier League which is a separate organisation.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

McLaren are great, like the England cricket team

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Payndz posted:

I searched for this (I like the idea of a billionaire's mental no-limits racing car so much I might put it into my next book), but couldn't find it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_X2010

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shiruan posted:

Which confuses me, since I can't imagine a situation where a person in the car itself would be the shortest/easiest path between KERS and ground. Or am I just being dim and missing something obvious?

Shortest path between a point of high potential and a point of low potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carbonate posted:

Race cars crash sometimes. Sometimes they do it in weird and pretty dumb ways, but they still do crash.

Also, sometimes people driving the fast race cars get hurt when they crash. How the hell is any of this worthy of all the attention it's getting?

Initially people were confused that Alonso was hurt as the car was essentially undamaged, without realising that Alonso was hurt because the car was essentially undamaged. Plus nothing happening, yeah.

• Locked thread