Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

800-odd unread posts in the 2014 season thread, worth reading back over it or is it going to be you bunch of sperg lords spazzing over Lewis Sham-ilton?

Here's to the off season, I have a nagging doubt that Button won't be around in 2015 but we'll have to wait and see :( Kinda sucks for the pair of Mclaren drivers to not know their future this late in the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Nah, not worth reading if you missed the liveposting during the race.

Ta, I'll skip it then, house move means no internet at home for another week yet :(

In a strange twist of fate, I did manage to watch the race live though, one of a handful I've caught live this year (and not promptly fallen asleep trying to watch after 9pm)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Watched the Formula-E coverage last night that I'd recorded over the weekend, with Alex Brundle on the boring talky bit at the beginning. That kid is the spitting image of his dad, in every way possible. Even the way he talks and all of his mannerisms just had me thinking of Martin the whole time.

It was creepy as gently caress. I hope my kids don't end up mimicking me in every shape and form imaginable.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Clarence posted:

Wait until early December when you'll be able to get it more cheaply. :(

:gonk:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Actually I think this is a great idea! no joke. I wouldn't want to get Maldonado, but yeah I'd be up for this.

Seconding this, count me in if anyone can be bothered to put it together

enri
Dec 16, 2003

coaxmetal posted:

Off season F1 is the formula E season

Speaking of Formula E, did any of the UK goons catch the ITV4 coverage with Alex Brundle on the talky boring bits at the weekend? ...and were you similarly creeped out by how identical to his dad he is? Not just physically, but the way he talked and all of his mannerisms. It was like watching a younger, buffer Martin Brundle.

Creepy as gently caress.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I thought someone else had mentioned this so i went back to find the quote.. .

well i guess i was right.

also no i didn't, have a link to it anywhere?

:doh:

I wondered if I'd posted it or not, I've been so busy and tired recently that I thought I'd thought about posting it and then hadn't posted it. This is the second time in a few days I've done exactly this thing, thought I'd not posted something but had.

and..

krushgroove posted:

Hey take it easy...he's probably old. Like, late 30's at least. Hell, I forget I need to eat sometimes and wonder why there's a painful feeling in the middle of my body.

...yes, perpetually tired at the moment :( (mid-30s! :v:) Recently moved house, have barely sat still for 2 weeks until recently. But hurrah! So I did apparently post that thing.. did I mention that Alex Brundle is creepily like his dad?

Bloody whipper-snappers in this thread taking the piss out of us oldies :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

I saw it as a kid coming in to land when I was living next door to the Farnborough Air Show. loving terrifying.

'Sup fellow 'grew up with a nearby airshow on your doorstep' goon. Biggin Hill representin' :3:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

:toot: Button! :toot:

:dance:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

aequalis posted:

Oh god. Poor Nando... Let the corporate soul sucking begin (again).

Countdown to beard shaving in 3.. 2.. 1..

Tsaedje posted:

I am fully erect at this news. I wonder if Alonso made sure to stipulate full control of his own body hair this time around?

...wait, that's a good point. Maybe Big Ron has lightened up a bit in his advanced age, Jenson has been allowed to sport facial hair after all.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Sebastian Vettel's departure influenced by Ricciardo's pace

...from an interview with Christian Horner :v: it makes for quite a satisfying read

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

A bunch of F1 people took a bunch of pictures where you can buy them now or something for charity.

Take a peek http://zoom-auction.com/gallery.htm

Click the name rather than Next Photographer cause otherwise it'll take you the 2012 gallery.

In quite interested to see how Michael Schumacher took a photo :v:

This is pretty cool though

enri
Dec 16, 2003

:stare:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

So! It's January!... bacon briefcases must be imminent as must the big car reveals, can someone remind me if there was any ruling made on the noses again? or can we expect vaguely sensible looking cars once again?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

yes they will look somewhat like the ferrari nose but less anteater-y

Hrm, didn't mind the Ferrari one so much, preferred Mclaren and Mercedes collective efforts but eh, the Ferrari is a grower

enri
Dec 16, 2003

For us UK goons, BBC have confirmed their live races for the year:

quote:

Malaysia 29 March
Bahrain 19 April
Canada 7 June
Great Britain 5 July
Hungary 26 July
Belgium 23 Aug
Japan 27 Sept
Russia 11 Oct
Brazil 15 Nov
Abu Dhabi 29 Nov

No Monaco on the beeb :( Oh well.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/01/bbc-confirms-10-race-live-schedule-as-fia-firms-up-20-race-calendar/

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Ilanin posted:

Wouldn't you rather watch a race?

edit: Yeah, I get that some people like watching Monaco because they enjoy seeing the cars drive around really narrow roads and deal with silly corners, but it's not like you need live coverage for that.

Oh I have live coverage via Sky, I just prefer Coulthard's commentary on the beeb

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

I can't watch Sky any more because of Brundle. He's insufferable. He's like the Joe's Award of TV presenters.

"When I was a driver, when I was a driver. When I was a driver. When I was a driver. Back when I used to drive. My good friend over here. There's my good friend. Look, it's my old friend from when I used to drive. Let's talk to my old friend over there. Hey buddy! Got time for a chat with an old friend?"

This. This is why I prefer Coulthard. He's the lesser of two evils :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hadn't seen this mentioned anywhere here yet:

quote:

McLaren will change the colour of their livery in 2015 as new engine supplier Honda does not want to continue with silver because it is a colour that is immediately associated with rivals Mercedes.

Please be orange all over :allears:

Nabbed from this page, which cites this page as its source.

Other gems:

quote:

Lotus driver Pastor Maldonado says he is not bothered by the criticism he gets from some F1 fans and prefers to focus on those who do support him.

All 2 of them.

quote:

World champion Lewis Hamilton, who says he has recorded about 30 music tracks already and has even built a recording studio in his home, has become close pals with Canadian rapper Drake and could team up with the 28-year-old in the future.

baaahahahahahahahahaha

quote:

Former Williams driver Jacques Villeneuve says the team's form last season was better than he expected.

:rolleyes:

Also, car launch dates I've picked up on so far, if there's any missing let me know and I'll add them to the list:

Force India - 21st Jan
Mclaren - 29th Jan
Ferrari - 30th Jan

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I unironically like the Honda earth car, not the first one, the second year one... 2008 I think?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

HJB posted:

Basically putting them back to pre-TV-priority times.

Please god let Australia be one of those changed start times, I miss waking up at stupid o'clock in the morning to watch the Aussie GP

edit: yay, I stopped being lazy for a brief moment and went and read the article, hurrah for early morning Aussie GP :dance:

enri fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 20, 2015

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

I think the Force India is launching today but I don't know if anyone cares.

I just thought about car launches and knew FI were launching their car on a date that started with a 2 and I vaguely hoped someone might have posted pictures so I didn't have to go look for it myself :(

But that Williams is a hotty.

edit: FWIW, they're streaming the launch at 3pm GMT which is an hour and forty minutes away for you lot not in god's own time zone (and it just looks like a reveal of their livery, not their actual 2015 car or something, I don't know)

enri fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 21, 2015

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Uhh watch chat ITT. I can't loving stand wearing a watch. Poncy bollocks. Do you want to see what car I drive too?

Brainwrong posted:

I don't want to sound like a watch snob, but are they really up there with Elizabeth Duke?

This is the Brainwrong posting we've missed, welcome back :toot:

edit: I will make a concession for GPS watches as they actually have some use to me

enri
Dec 16, 2003

It's very er.... safe

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Fumble posted:

Bernie Ecclestone will die before the end of the season.

Ooooh oooh it's bold predictions season again

Vettel will not finish a race higher than 6th place
Mclaren Honda will be a wet fart for the first half of the season before they start to get their poo poo together

enri
Dec 16, 2003

track day bro! posted:

There are so many reasons i'll never bother to attend my home GP, its a loving poo poo track in the midlands and somehow it costs more than going to spa/whatever german circuit/catalunya/hungary/monza. I'd rather drive the 4 hours to Spa than the 2 it takes me to get to Silverstone.

It'd probably still be cheaper too :v:

I'd like to go to a grand prix some time in my life, just circumstances have never worked out... if it ends up being Silverstone then so be it :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

my face at mclaren livery -> :stare:

let's hope it runs better than it looks

edit: the top down view doesn't look too bad, but side on it's eurgh

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

It's horrible. But I like it because it's not black/grey/silver. Or red.

Or dark blue.

Or green.

Oh, it's just horrible.

Or white

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

What a great looking Ferrari. Too bad Vettel's driving it.

Yea pretty much this, now that old eyebrows himself has gone back to Mclaren, I have no real call to cheer for Ferrari. I like Kimi but let's face it, he is poo poo and isn't going to improve any time soon.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

darth cookie posted:

He's not poo poo, he just needs a very specific car set up to give the absolute maximum he's capable of. They managed that at Lotus which is why he won races with them. Same way Vettel is crap unless the rear end of the car is absolutely rock solid. I'd really like to see what happens if Ferrari somehow managed to make a car that suited both of their needs. It could be a really interesting battle between them.

Let me rephrase:

he is poo poo and isn't going to improve any time soon.

Ferrari will remain incapable of giving him his very specific set up, so he will appear to be complete poo poo for the foreseeable future.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Well that toro rosso certainly looks... exactly the same as it has for the past X years :stare:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

The most important thing is that Alonso still has his beard. Ron's standards are slipping.

Finally.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Someone coloured in the Red Bull camo-livery, it looks quite nice with a splash of colour:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I have to admit, that's the best one he has had to date.

Countdown to Vettel unveiling another new helmet in 3.. 2.. 1..

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Alain Post posted:

The only thing negative in here is McLaren's title chances.

WCC maybe with that fraud Alonso not pulling his weight*, Jenson has the WDC wrapped up already, I can feel it in my bones.

Riso posted:

Vettel on record saying he will stick to the helmet design!

Has he stopped giving his cars ridiculous nicknames yet though? This is the important question.

edit: whether or not he's given his car a name, I'm sure by the time the summer rolls around he will have named it "shite sheila"

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Riso posted:

Enzo's Embarrassment.

This just in, Ferrari's ERS system partially powered by harvesting the power of Enzo spinning in his grave

enri
Dec 16, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Imagine having a child knowing that some day you'll need to have a conversation with him about how you're a complete fraud.

He can always ask Damon for advice :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

NtotheTC posted:

Literally the worst opinion in the thread. Does anyone have the video of Damon playing Johnny B Goode on stage at Silverstone so we can finally put these pathetic lies to sleep.

I actually felt bad typing that, I like Damon :(

Alain Post posted:

The complete list of fraud champions are Mike Hawthorn, Graham Hill, Jim Clark, John Surtees, Jackie Stewart, James Hunt, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Lewis Hamilton, and Jenson Button.

I...I think I can see a pattern forming here

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Just spotted on the BBC F1 gossip column

quote:

The migration of F1 broadcasts from free-to-air to pay channels in many countries is being blamed for global viewing figures slipping from 600m in 2008 to 425m in 2014. (Wall Street Journal)

..a 30% loss is pretty extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

(W)Ron(g) Dennis

• Locked thread