Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

All Is Lost should have benn called God`s A Dick

And yea, thanks for the B in 23 recommendations. I jumped on that bandwagon. I never watched it while it was on tv solely because of the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Netflix:
Bojack Horseman was ok I guess.
Marco Polo is amazing.
Frank and Robot is a good movie.
Copper is interesting.
American Horror Story is my fave soap opera.

Prime:
Vikings is a really good show.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Axe Cop is on Hulu.

I really like it.

Its written by brothers, aged 5 and 28.

Its voiced by a bunch of random actors and comics too.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Ok so I finally watched snowpiercer. What's the big deal about it? Same with stretch...they're ok but don't deserve a million page derail!

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

psyopmonkey posted:

Frank and Robot

Yea peeps.. watch this.

Nebraska is p. Good too

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

psyopmonkey posted:

Netflix:

American Horror Story is my fave soap opera.

I hope you stop after season 2. If not, you're in for some real disappointment.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Extract, directed by Mike Judge, has been up for a while . It's uneven but funny. If you're familiar with his other work you'll probably enjoy this as well, plus the cast is great (two Simmons in one movie!).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Alright, just finished watching Broadchurch on Netflix, good stuff, I really liked it. Is Gracepoint on any other site? Or is it good at least?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Desperado Bones posted:

Alright, just finished watching Broadchurch on Netflix, good stuff, I really liked it. Is Gracepoint on any other site? Or is it good at least?

I didn't watch Broadchurch but according to the Gracepoint thread they are the same.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Desperado Bones posted:

Gracepoint is on Hulu Plus, haven't watched it though.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My wife and I have been watching Gracepoint and I think it's pretty good. Haven't seen Broadchurch, though.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

whatshesaid posted:

I hope you stop after season 2. If not, you're in for some real disappointment.

?? But Coven is the best season??

Sound of Noise is on Netflix and it's a pretty great foreign film.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

My wife and I have been watching Gracepoint and I think it's pretty good. Haven't seen Broadchurch, though.

Broadchurch has a lot of David Tennat's (I suppose) real accent, and I liked the depressing small town ambient.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What I disliked about Gracepoint, and I have assume Broadchurch is the same, is it's a terrible mystery. First episode introduces the characters and crime then it's 8 useless episodes of spinning wheels and red herrings. Then in the last episode the killer immediately confesses with a motive out of left field. It feels like someone who hates mysteries was forced to write it.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Blendy posted:

?? But Coven is the best season??

I'm honestly not sure if this is sarcasm or not. If not, to each his own, I guess. I found season 3 to be a god-awful mess. And two episodes into season 4, I just stopped. I can't even give it a better chance than that, it's so dumb.
And this is coming from someone who adored seasons 1 and 2.

whatshesaid has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Dec 24, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

whatshesaid posted:

I'm honestly not sure if this is sarcasm or not. If not, to each his own, I guess. I found season 3 to be a god-awful mess. And two episodes into season 4, I just stopped. I can't even give it a better chance than that, it's so dumb.

I didn't hate season 3, but that's mainly cause I'm a sucker for witchcraft type poo poo. The season felt like it was just treading water for most of it and then was like 'oh poo poo we need to finish the season!' and rushed everything in like the last 2 or 3 episodes.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Leper Residue posted:

I didn't hate season 3, but that's mainly cause I'm a sucker for witchcraft type poo poo.
You should definitely check out the show Salem.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

whatshesaid posted:

Not sarcasm. Pretty much everyone I know, myself included, has enjoyed Coven a lot either rating it the best or second best season. I loved season 1 and I liked season 2 but I felt it went off the rails and was just like "what else can we put in this season!?" I agree with Leper that some parts felt like treading water but I felt Coven had the most consistent plot with a clear through line (minus the Jazz guy which was totally not needed). Freak Show is really dragging for me but it has some great performances. I think I'm maybe biased towards Coven because I love Paulson, Lange, and Conroy who all have great parts in Coven. Also Emma Roberts was a lot of fun.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
I loved watching David Cross gently caress up exponentially in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. All 12 episodes are on Netflix US and Will Arnett is also in it. It got renewed recently after being off air for a few years. Don't read anything about it, there's spoilers loving everywhere.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Trillest Parrot posted:

I loved watching David Cross gently caress up exponentially in The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. All 12 episodes are on Netflix US and Will Arnett is also in it. It got renewed recently after being off air for a few years. Don't read anything about it, there's spoilers loving everywhere.

It really is a great short series, especially if you have some knowledge to get the English-specific jokes.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Trillest Parrot posted:

It is a great show. I almost didn't give it a shot past the first episode, but it gets better with each one. It kind of relies on its own web, so you need to let it build up for a couple eps.

And yeah, if you like mysteries, you probably will just be annoyed by Gracepointe. It's like how in those Final Destination movies, you'd see a slow build up of hazards and dangers leading up to some Rube Goldberg-style way for the character to die, but then it doesn't happen, and they get crushed by something completely unrelated when they step outside.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Dec 25, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

casual poster posted:

You should definitely check out the show Salem.

Oh yeah, I burned through that show in like two nights. I can't wait for season 2. I wouldn't say it was the 'best show' but I loved watching it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Lavender posted:

It is a great show. I almost didn't give it a shot past the first episode, but it gets better with each one. It kind of relies on its own web, so you need to let it build up for a couple eps.

Yeah, even the stuff that seems pointless at first ends up being another link in the chain of hilarious fuckups. It's kind of like BoJack Horseman in that the slow beginning ends up leading to an amazing payoff, but it goes the dark comedy route instead of mostly just dark.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of the original negative reception seems to be because people were expecting The Continuing Adventures of Tobias Funke and GOB when it's a heavily-serialized slow-burn of a black comedy. When you can binge watch the whole thing and watch the different plot threads come together it holds up a lot better.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Todd Margaret was mildly amusing, took me a long time to watch all the episodes and the only reason I did was to see if there would be a payoff in the end. I don't think I'll watch a second season.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

wormil posted:

the only reason I did was to see if there would be a payoff in the end. I don't think I'll watch a second season.

Well there's yer problem. No, I would never recommend that someone keep watching a show that they've tried and dislike; but that payoff definitely exists.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Under the Skin is on Amazon Prime now (not sure how long it's been up) but it's similar in tone to Beyond The Black Rainbow. It's definitely as polarizing as well but I liked it well enough.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Oooh here you are thread!

Gonna put up some recommendations hot off the presses:

Bunraku is only available until the 31st. You fucks have two days to watch one of the more original kung-fu films in the entire decade.
Don Hertzfeldt (Of REJECTED fame) has a film on netflix called It's Such a Beautiful Day. It's 3 of his 20-minute shorts glued together with an attempt at an overarching narrative. It's Surreal Brilliance.'

Holy poo poo, Stage Fright is entertaining as a goofy b-movie slasher that never takes itself seriously.

Dark Skies, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, At the Devil's Door, and Sabotage were all pretty bleh. Hell, Sabotage was a big theatrical film, but you watch it and like.. everyone is a loving rear end in a top hat. You just don't care about any one of them because no one has any virtuous traits at all.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Vriess posted:

Bunraku is only available until the 31st. You fucks have two days to watch one of the more original kung-fu films in the entire decade.

I believe you will find that Bunraku is not a kung-fu movie but instead a musical, where the singing has been wholly replaced by punching dudes in the face real hard.

it's also really incredibly good, definitely watch it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Edminster posted:

I believe you will find that Bunraku is not a kung-fu movie but instead a musical, where the singing has been wholly replaced by punching dudes in the face real hard.

it's also really incredibly good, definitely watch it.
I agree, this is a fun movie.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Season 2 of The Americans is now on Prime. Hooray!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Vriess posted:

Don Hertzfeldt (Of REJECTED fame) has a film on netflix called It's Such a Beautiful Day. It's 3 of his 20-minute shorts glued together with an attempt at an overarching narrative. It's Surreal Brilliance.'

I just watched that one yesterday and it's really really really good. It's really funny at parts and really sad at others. Everyone should give it a watch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Slap Shot goes off of Netflix on the 1st, so go watch it now while it's still there. Paul Newman is amazing in it.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you got an hour and like short animation flicks you should watch It's Such a Beautiful Day

quote:

Award-winning animator Don Hertzfeldt unites three short films about a hapless guy named Bill with new material to create this feature-length tale.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Reign Of Pain posted:

If you got an hour and like short animation flicks you should watch It's Such a Beautiful Day

I saw this was available but wasn't sure if it would be any good! Will check it out.

epopt
Feb 12, 2008

Thanks to the recommendations in this thread I checked out Peaky Blinders on Netflix and I'm glad I did. It's really gritty and really good.

I also watched Samsara the other day, it's a documentary about humanity and nature, there's no real narrative it's just basically full of interesting imagery from different cultures and walks of life around the globe. I found it relaxing to watch.

Mexicola
Jan 3, 2006
In a world that's full of shit and gasoline, baby
How to be a Man

I was recommended it by a coworker. Went up and thanked him the next day. Great sleeper comedy in the vein of grandmas boy. A grungy sort of stupid movie that is drat entertaining.

Should probably warn you that there is some male nudity in it. Full frontal.

Mexicola has a new favorite as of 06:59 on Dec 31, 2014

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

epopt posted:

I also watched Samsara the other day, it's a documentary about humanity and nature, there's no real narrative it's just basically full of interesting imagery from different cultures and walks of life around the globe. I found it relaxing to watch.

Ohhhhhhh I could kiss you!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

^ yeah I came in here looking for something to watch with the missed and it's perfect ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mexicola posted:

How to be a Man

I was recommended it by a coworker. Went up and thanked him the next day. Great sleeper comedy in the vein of grandmas boy. A grungy sort of stupid movie that is drat entertaining.

Should probably warn you that there is some male nudity in it. Full frontal.

I loved grandmas boy so I will have to check this out.