Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Can't remember where I got the recommendation to watch Detention from but this movie is crazy. It's like huffing the 90's repeatedly. Plus Josh Hutcherson taught me that skateboarding is romantic or something, I don't know, I was too dazzled.

E: also too dazzled to remember actor's names apparently

empty sea has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

empty sea posted:

Can't remember where I got the recommendation to watch Detention from but this movie is crazy. It's like huffing the 90's repeatedly. Plus John Hutchinson taught me that skateboarding is romantic or something, I don't know, I was too dazzled.

There were points in the movie where I kept thinking "This is too much, it's getting stupid" but I watched it all the way through and I really liked it, whether it was stupid or not I don't care.

Also Comedy Bang! Bang! Season 3 is finally out on Netflix but only the first half. It's pretty funny and probably the weirdest season so far.

And X Files is still on Netflix, in case you forgot.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

jodai posted:

Also Comedy Bang! Bang! Season 3 is finally out on Netflix

:swoon:

I don't really have a recommendation, but I watched Dino Fish and I hated it. I thought it was going to be a documentary about the ceolacanth, but they spent the entire time trying to add suspense. Like they talked more about how the divers could DIE AT ANY MINUTE more than the damned fish.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Kevin Smith's new Jay and Silent Bob cartoon is worse than something out of Newgrounds.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Kevin Smith's new Jay and Silent Bob cartoon is worse than something out of Newgrounds.

Weak.

I remember liking the Clerks cartoon. Since it was cancelled pretty quickly you could marathon the DVD in like 2-3 hours.

It had a lot of good gags.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

syscall girl posted:

Weak.

I remember liking the Clerks cartoon. Since it was cancelled pretty quickly you could marathon the DVD in like 2-3 hours.

I liked the old cartoon too, this was very much different.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

syscall girl posted:

Weak.

BEAR DRIVE CAR
????!!!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

BEAR DRIVE CAR
????!!!

Nicotine fit.

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010
Recommending the Netflix original "Borgia". Good period piece about the 15th century Borgia family in Italy and all the evil and corruption they were in to. A lot of violence, a lot of sex and hot naked people. I thought the costuming and scenery were fantastic. The dialogue does seem a bit forced at times and everyone in Italy having an English accent (except the pope, he has an American accent for some reason) can ruin the immersion a bit I suppose. Otherwise, a good attention holder and worth a watch.

Fake edit: Don't get it confused with the Showtime series "The Borgias". This one says Netflix Original. I can't comment on the Showtime one.

Opie_Yates has a new favorite as of 13:09 on Jan 2, 2015

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010
If you use Hola, Netflix Sweden has "Master and Commander The Far Side of the World" up. It is awesome and I really wish they had made more movies. There is a lot of material in the Aubrey-Maturin series of books to go with, but I guess there is not enough of a demand.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Opie_Yates posted:

Recommending the Netflix original "Borgia". Good period piece about the 15th century Borgia family in Italy and all the evil and corruption they were in to. A lot of violence, a lot of sex and hot naked people. I thought the costuming and scenery were fantastic. The dialogue does seem a bit forced at times and everyone in Italy having an English accent (except the pope, he has an American accent for some reason) can ruin the immersion a bit I suppose. Otherwise, a good attention holder and worth a watch.

Fake edit: Don't get it confused with the Showtime series "The Borgias". This one says Netflix Original. I can't comment on the Showtime one.

The Showtime one isn't bad but the Netflix one (Nexflix picked up the final season after the original European production company canned it) is way, way better.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Whoa, I didn't know the third season was made by Netflix. It finishes the story and was basically essential imo. I really enjoyed it overall, although you need some way of keeping track of a hundred characters and their shifting allegiances.

I think the American accent, besides being the actor's, may be a way of highlighting that the character is a brash newcomer, an immigrant from Spain (which other characters are not happy about).

PS. I love Gacet, although there is one plot device I got super super bored of the writers using. But still, Gacet is the only decent-seeming human being.

Anne Whateley has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Jan 3, 2015

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010
Just curious, what plot device was that? Because if it is the use of homosexuality as a "moral weakness" to be exploited by others I have to agree with you. By the time it came up with della Rovere it felt like a hamfisted attempt at edginess.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
I started watching the very-short-lived series (2 seasons) The Boss, starring Kelsey Grammer. No similarities to Frasier. I'm liking it alright so far.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Opie_Yates posted:

Just curious, what plot device was that? Because if it is the use of homosexuality as a "moral weakness" to be exploited by others I have to agree with you. By the time it came up with della Rovere it felt like a hamfisted attempt at edginess.
Bingo, it's the "he's gay therefore he will do any dumbass thing to hook up with any man"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Opie_Yates posted:

If you use Hola, Netflix Sweden has "Master and Commander The Far Side of the World" up. It is awesome and I really wish they had made more movies. There is a lot of material in the Aubrey-Maturin series of books to go with, but I guess there is not enough of a demand.

I saw this twice on opening day back in 2003 and couldn't loving wait for a home release. It's one of my all-time favorite films. It won two Oscars that year, and was nominated for ten. I could gush about it all drat day. Go watch it if you haven't seen it.

(I found the following on U.S. Netflix)

The Grand Seduction is a very fun film. A tiny harbor town in Newfoundland is trying to convince a major petrochemical company to build its newest facility there in order to fix the town's ailing economy. Before the company will sign an agreement and start building, however, the town needs to prove that it has a town doctor (which it doesn't). The townsfolk manage to find a big city plastic surgeon and spend most of the film lying to him and manipulating him to convince him to stay.

Shooter stars Mark Wahlberg, Michael Peņa, and Kate Mara's boobs. Wahlberg is a super special forces sniper guy who is framed for trying to assassinate the president. It's surprisingly not terrible for an action film starring Mark Wahlberg.

Danny DeVito-directed Duplex is pretty funny (if you can stomach Ben Stiller). A young couple buys a duplex where the upstairs apartment is rent controlled and already occupied by a sweet old lady that they're forbidden to evict. The ink isn't even dry on the sale agreement when they realize the "sweet old lady" is seemingly hellbent on ruining their lives.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Danny DeVito-directed Duplex is pretty funny (if you can stomach Ben Stiller). A young couple buys a duplex where the upstairs apartment is rent controlled and already occupied by a sweet old lady that they're forbidden to evict. The ink isn't even dry on the sale agreement when they realize the "sweet old lady" is seemingly hellbent on ruining their lives.

Duplex is one of the best dark comedies I can remember in recent years. It does not pull any punches.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's been on Netflix as long as I can remember, but I just watched Bad Santa for the first time in several years and it's still hilarious. I wish Billy Bob Thornton was my father figure/burglar Santa. Keep an eye out for a scene featuring the dude who played Neelix on Voyager.

syscall girl posted:

Weak.

The Clerks cartoon is probably the best thing Kevin Smith made, because he had a shitload of people controlling his output and editing him. I'm going to say it: Kevin Smith is the George Lucas of comedy.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
If you haven't watched Moone Boy on Hulu yet, DO IT. Imagine a Malcolm in the Middle set in late 80's Ireland but Malcolm is actually hilarious and has an even more hilarious imaginary friend that is played by Chris O'Dowd.

It is genius.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Twitch posted:

It's been on Netflix as long as I can remember, but I just watched Bad Santa for the first time in several years and it's still hilarious. I wish Billy Bob Thornton was my father figure/burglar Santa. Keep an eye out for a scene featuring the dude who played Neelix on Voyager.

The Clerks cartoon is probably the best thing Kevin Smith made, because he had a shitload of people controlling his output and editing him. I'm going to say it: Kevin Smith is the George Lucas of comedy.

I haven't seen Clerks TAS since my buddy bought it in like 2000 but it had a lot of great stuff that stuck with me.

Bad Santa, otoh I've seen countless times and it's just a tour de force of awesome. It's kinda bittersweet though because Bernie Mac and Jon Ritter kicked the bucket.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I just discovered that Amazon Prime has the entire run of Anamaniacs available.

United States, Panama, Mexico, Canada, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

azflyboy posted:

Scorsese's head.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

azflyboy posted:

And the old batman the animated series. Now if only freakazoid and earth worm jim were streaming, I'd have a golden age of after school cartoons marathon.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

azflyboy posted:

I caught this on a local channel recently and it had me cracking up 20 years later. Goodnight everybody!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rolo posted:

I caught this on a local channel recently and it had me cracking up 20 years later. Goodnight everybody!

Love that show :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

jodai posted:

And the old batman the animated series

Wait, what? Goddamn it, there goes some of my money

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Edminster posted:

I believe you will find that Bunraku is not a kung-fu movie but instead a musical, where the singing has been wholly replaced by punching dudes in the face real hard.

it's also really incredibly good, definitely watch it.
The narrator in Bunraku was Mike Patton, also known as the lead singer of Faith No More. And the fight scenes were totes intended to evoke Gene Kelly dance scenes.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Jan 8, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Bunraku was OK but it's a movie that thinks it's way cooler and cleverer than it actually is.

coyo7e posted:

The narrator in Bunraku was Mike Patton, also known as the lead singer of Faith No More. And the fight scenes were intended to evoke Gene Kelly dance scenes.

Also the Japanese lead is jpop star/living anime Gackt.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I liked Bunraku because I went in assuming it was gonna be Yojimbo/Lucky Number Sleven with a cast of a bunch of great actors and Five Thousand Fingers of Dr T, Dr Seuss-esque sets and action scenes. I did not leave disappointed.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

Bunraku was OK but it's a movie that thinks it's way cooler and cleverer than it actually is.

Pretty much this. I couldn't finish it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
If you're thinking of watching How I Live Now because you're expecting a post-apocalyptic survival love story, just skip it. This film was not fun at all.

Here's a short summary: Bitchy American girl fucks her creepy cousin, London gets bombed, American girl then traipses around some woods with one of the most hideous child actors in history. Also the last four words of the final monologue in the film are the title of the film. So clever!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Dead Silence wasn't a particularly clever or original scary movie, but drat it has some creep to it. Worth a watch if you like cookie cutter supernatural horror.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Rolo posted:

Dead Silence wasn't a particularly clever or original scary movie, but drat it has some creep to it. Worth a watch if you like cookie cutter supernatural horror.

You nailed this on the head. Great atmosphere and cast, everything else felt flat. It's too bad, it's not easy to create that feeling.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I definitely wouldn't have watched Brick Mansions if I knew it was a shot for shot remake of Paul Walker's career dying.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

I definitely wouldn't have watched Brick Mansions if I knew it was a shot for shot remake of Paul Walker's career dying.

Why, does he die in a car at the end of the movie? That's too bad, the action in the trailer made it look entertaining enough.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I, Frankenstein is probably the funniest movie I've seen all year. One of the first scenes is a montage of Frankenstein doing martial arts training in the woods. And of course, he wears a trench coat and fingerless gloves through most of the movie.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Legend of the Drunken Master is probably one of the best kung fu films ever made, and is on Netflix right now. Stunts include Chan literally throwing himself into a bed of real burning coals.

There's also a host of great documentaries on netflix right now.

I recommend:

The Act of Killing. The filmmakers sought out leaders of the death squads that killed half a million Indonesian people during the anti-communist purges of the 60s, and asked them to dramatically recreate their executions in order to "tell their story". The result is totally unlike any other film I have ever seen. From IMDb: "THE ACT OF KILLING is about killers who have won, and the sort of society they have built. Unlike ageing Nazis or Rwandan genocidaires, Anwar and his friends have not been forced by history to admit they participated in crimes against humanity. Instead, they have written their own triumphant history, becoming role models for millions of young paramilitaries. THE ACT OF KILLING is a journey into the memories and imaginations of the perpetrators, offering insight into the minds of mass killers. And THE ACT OF KILLING is a nightmarish vision of a frighteningly banal culture of impunity in which killers can joke about crimes against humanity on television chat shows, and celebrate moral disaster with the ease and grace of a soft shoe dance number."

The House I Live in - Awesome documentary on the actual consequences of the War on Drugs, with an emphasis on the people who all feel caught up in a dysfunctional and unstoppable system.

How to Survive a Plague - A close-up recounting of the AIDs-rights activist group during the crescendo of the AIDs pandemic. Just go watch the trailor - this is not a movie you want to miss. These folks were probably the most important activists since the civil rights movement, orchestrating some pretty astonishing direct actions. There is film of dozens of men and women carrying the ashes of their dead lovers through the streets of Washington and casting their bones onto the White House lawn.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi - recommended elsewhere in this thread. Just nthing it.

Touching the Void - About as intense as survival stories go. Man is left for dead with a broken leg on one of the most treacherous mountains in the world.

Wish I had found this thread earlier. Looks like Netflix isn't carrying When We Left Earth or Art & Copy anymore.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Twitch posted:

I, Frankenstein is probably the funniest movie I've seen all year. One of the first scenes is a montage of Frankenstein doing martial arts training in the woods. And of course, he wears a trench coat and fingerless gloves through most of the movie.

It's like a worse Blade/Underworld sequel. Honestly, I don't understand how it actually got released, other than that had already spent the money so they might as well release it and see what they can recoup.

Also, to the guy who mentioned Brick Mansions before, wow, that was incredibly poorly acted movie. I like Bobby Digital and all, but goddamn if RZA is not movie cancer. In theme with my comments above regarding I, Frankenstein, Brick Mansions seemed like a terrible District B13 sequel.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

1redflag posted:

It's like a worse Blade/Underworld sequel. Honestly, I don't understand how it actually got released, other than that had already spent the money so they might as well release it and see what they can recoup.

Also, to the guy who mentioned Brick Mansions before, wow, that was incredibly poorly acted movie. I like Bobby Digital and all, but goddamn if RZA is not movie cancer. In theme with my comments above regarding I, Frankenstein, Brick Mansions seemed like a terrible District B13 sequel.

Wasn't Brick Mansions supposed to be a remake of B13? RZA loving sucks and should never go near any more movies - after seeing "The Protector 2", I don't need any further convincing. Christ. There were a lot of bad things about that one, but he was basically the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

1redflag posted:

He did do the soundtrack to Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, which is a pretty great movie.